Four Industrial(ized??) LaScalas in New Hampshire?

jtnfoley

Sound thoroughly molested... Royal blue? [+o(]

Customized - Edges, corners protected - on wheels - handles - Royal
Blue !!!great for multiple locations, or for yard/pool parties.

EXTREMELY EFFICIENT!!!!! 4 could fill a stadium with sound!!! FABULOUS FIDELITY!!!!FUSED!!!!

List @ $2000 each, new. Like a Stradivarius, they age gracefully!!!!!!!!

$750 a pair . . . $1350 for all 4. Buy all 4 and get free 15" brand new woofer by Klipsch.

http://nh.craigslist.org/msg/328932496.html

cool, I'm IN

Serious? If not, these are in the backyard of Greg928. YO GREG! These things are screaming for your treatment! (Don't know how much a PIA the owner-added corner/edge/handle treatments are gonna be.)

cool, I'm IN

jk- go get em Greg.

These remind me of a band I use to follow around Indy- the Light Band- they had the EV TL bins in 18-15-12" and they were all done in white fibreglass- very cool looking. They had these huge color-changing fibre-optic lamps on top of the horns- tres retro, n'est ce pas?

I just got off the phone with him. He says they have all original drivers except one woofer which was replaced with a Klipsch replacement. He wants $1350 for all 4 and he'll throw in an extra woofer. Not a bad price, but with the 4 hour round trip that's just a little too steep for me. I already have 5 pair of LS's in the shop right now. I asked him if he'd bring them to me which he seemed willing to do at his price. I'm trying to get him to bring them to me for $1200. I'd go get them for $1000.

They are painted Royal blue, even inside the doghouses. They have some sort of metal edging that is brad nailed on. He says the cabinets are in great shape, but everybody says that. He bought them new with raw birch finish! In my opinion, painting them was a Royal mistake. What a Maroon.

Greg

Ok, so i just got back from veiwing these speakers and they are painted in an ugly (to me) blue latex color.

the serial #stickers are painted over but the cabinets are stamped with 3n890/3n891//3n893.

he didnt have one of the speakers there, 3n892 i think. so i just assumed that it is stamped 3n892 as the other three are consecutive.

from my klipsch date codes i believe these are 1975 vintage due to the N in the serial #.

he first told me that he was original owner and that they were about 15 years old but when i pointed out that the serial # points to them being 1975 and 32 years old

he then told me he inherited them from a family member and that the person was in a band.

the cabinets do have a metal edging along all the edges and wheels attached on the bottoms and the cabinets do look to be in very good cond.

i couldn't see any gouges or chips in them but its hard to tell completely with the way the paint was applied, its thick in some spots and has run in others.

one of the speakers looks to have a different squakerr horn (midrange horn?)3n891). as the wires are not attached and the end of the horn does not have the spring loaded push in

wire connectors as the others do. some of the wiring looks a bit dry rotted and one of the speakers has a beat up fuse holder. all of them have a phono type plug in the upper right hand corner on the rear of the cabinet. there doesnt appear to be any water damage to any of them.(we have had a lot of flooding issues in this area recently.)

overall they look like they'd clean up really nice, i dont know if they work as he didnt have anything to connect them to but insisted they all work fine.

i offered him 600.00 for a pair and was turned down. if i can sell my heresys right away i would have the additional dough to meet his price.

Hi all, I'm new here. I have been searching for a pair of LaScalas
to try out, as I'm thinking about getting into this vintage Klipsch
speaker thing. There seams to be some real value here. Interestingly
enough I started my search on Craig's list and found these. I also
asked him if he could do $600, and he turned me down as well. He did
reference (I now know) your bid though, Gigbyte. He has been very vague with
descriptions so far, and I wasn't wild about the blue idea either. I
thought about painting them a gloss black though, which I don't think
would be too hard.

A few questions for anyone who is nice
enough to answer them. Since I'm new to this, how is a 1975 model?
What upgrades would be necessary if any? I don't want to get into hard
core restoring anything yet (toying with active x-over in the future
but not now), having seen them, Gigbyte, what would it take to make these things look ok? Is that metal edging or wheels coming off, or are those on there now that he's done it? I might go see these tomorrow, but I don't want to get in too deep with my first pair. I'd love to be able to just do a little exterior restoration and maybe some painting. Am I barking up the wrong tree with this set? thanks in advance for any advice

-tim

I would definately go look at them first.

the edging could be popped off easily its only brad nailed on.

the cabinets do look to be in pretty good shape but with the way the paint is gobbed on in some spots it hard to tell if its maybe covering

a chip or gouge.

After giving these some thought im going to pass on them, they look like they could be a lot of work with the way the crossovers look and the old wiring.

And he did initially lie to me about being the original owner and then when i pointed out their manufacture date he changed his story.

plus there was no way to test them at his place, who knows if they work or not.

I just don't know enough about lascala's (drivers, crossovers, etc) to make a good informed decision as to the operation of these speakers.

You should go take a look.....

I am also a little concerned, especially because I've e-mailed him twice since you've been there and he still claims ignorance about the serial #s. The only thing you have said that really concerns me about the speakers is possible bad wiring or x-over though. I don't have anywhere near enough experience with old speakers to assess whether or not the x-over or wires need replacing. If I do end up liking them I plan to replace the x-over with an active one, but that could be a little bit and I don't want to have to get another passive x-over in the interim. Anyone have any insight on that kind of thing? Thanks!

-tim

I wouldn't be concerned about the wiring or the crossovers, they both should be replaced anyway.

But I would want to make sure they have all Klipsch drivers, and that all of them work. About 75% of the time I buy La Scalas, the woofers are not Klipsch woofers. Even though this seller told me that has was sure they were Klipsch woofers, I'd be willing to bet that at least one of them doesn't have a Klipsch woofer in it. They must be tested and the woofer bins opened up before buying them.

I offered him $1200 for all 4 if he would deliver them to me. Just too much work stripping them down to offer any more than that. Last I heard he took $600 for one pair.

Greg