Which receiver for Reference 7

boston_klipsch

Thanks again guys

I think that i'm going to get the B&K AVR-507 and run it with the Reference 7 for now

If i needed more power then i will buy the 3 channels power amp for the front 3 speakers

But i think the 150 WPC from the B&K AVR-507 should be enough

most of the time i'll watching movies .... not mcuh audio at all

thank you all

The B&K AVR-507 is a very nice piece and I think you'll be very happy with it. Obviously, the option to add outboard amps in the future is still there, but at 150 wpc should be plenty to drive those RF-7s. My B&K Ref 200.7 is 200 watts per channel. The only real advantage you are getting is that with an outboard amp, since it has it's own power-supply, does not have to "compete" with the rest of the unit as well as outboard amps tends to have larger capacitors and such (not limited in having to "share" a box with other components as in a receiver). Still, give that AVR-507 a listen. I think you'll be impressed. I did not get to hear one myself until after I've already bought my Denon. I figure if I was going to spend that money on an upgrade, I'll opt to get an outboard amp instead as I can always upgrade the pre/pro later (since I was already happy with what I had).

Thanks again guys

I think that i'm going to get the B&K AVR-507 and run it with the Reference 7 for now

If i needed more power then i will buy the 3 channels power amp for the front 3 speakers

But i think the 150 WPC from the B&K AVR-507 should be enough

most of the time i'll watching movies .... not mcuh audio at all

thank you all

Like Arky, I'll touch this baby one more time and quit: I can only tell you about what I have seen and owned...I'm in a part of the country with few options to audition stuff...that being said, I added RF-7s to my system after I had already purchase a Yamaha RX-V2600. Now check out its review at audioholics.com and note that it was a CES product of the year. 130wpc and the audioholics staff gives it glowing recommendations which it deserves........except........the RF-7's didn't like it. It took less than a year of listening...no, maybe 8-9 months...before I became convinced that the RF-7s were languishing. This is the Klipsh forum after all so it's all about the speakers. Turned out that all the bench testing in the world won't reveal that there is just not enough power/current/linearity delivered to the 7s to make that speaker sound right from this product....have you heard the B&K head to head with RF7 and then with any good separate 200wpc amp? Do it before you buy...I ended up with the Rotel 1080, then eventually booted the Yammi for all separates....it was not even a close call. (disclaimer: not a Rotel agent..it's just one of few that I can see and buy locally)

Roger

I have read that everyone who has added a separate amp to drive their RF-7's noticed an improvement. I also noticed that the folks that go this route are upgrading from lower end AVR's that aren't THX ultra II certified and more than likely don't have near their Watts-per-channel ratings with all 7 channels being driven, or go down to 3.2 Ohms. That being said, I have mused in several threads about using my AVR as a preamp and at least getting something like a QSC PLX 1802 to drive my RF-7's. It is still something I am considering but don't necessarily feel the need to upgrade.

The question I am trying to find an answer to is would it be worth the extra money to get a 2 channel amp that actually is rated down to 2 Ohms vs one that is half as expensive but only rated down to 4 Ohms. [^o)]