Which receiver for Reference 7

boston_klipsch

Here are the choices:

1. B&K AVR-507

2. Denon AVR-3806 and buy an outboard amp later

80% movie , 20% music

And my budget is around $1600.00

Most of the B&K AVR-507 on Audiogon are around that price, should i go with the B&K and done with ... Or get the Denon and get a outboard amp

If anyone has experience with these units please give me some advice ...

Or should i go separate with a pre/pro and a 5 channels amp ...

my speakers are RF-7 , RC-7 , RS-7 and RSW-12

thanks

As a rule I'd agree with Arky on separates,but.....The reason I generally like separates better is the 2ch/music improvement.For mostly HT the Denons do a good job and have lots of features.I had a 3802/03/05 with a Parasound 5ch amp and it would blow you away for movies and was decent w/music.The BK is also no slouch for sure but may be getting a little behind in cutting edge tech,although it does have plenty great features.

I think if I were in your shoes I would buy and try the Emotiva LPA 1 and MMC combo at about $1500 (I think).Or,even ask about a dmc and lpa combo,maybe $1700? I would not spend $1600 without auditioning that combo as I know the lpa1 is a great amp for little money,good luck.

If $ is tight, the best bang for the buck is the Denon and an out board stereo amp later. Then once the surround technology changes you can drop the Denon and buy a dedicated preamp processer still using your out board amp to power the surrounds and perhaps buy a 3 channel amp for the L C R channels.

Thanks for all help guys

How is the processor on the Denon AVR-3806 ... If it is a good enough proceesor , I can hold of on the out board amp and save up more money and get a good 5 channels amp later on this year...

If anyone here used the Denon AVR-3806 as a pro/pre please chime in

thanks again

PS: The Patriots does not Sucks .... They are gearing up for another SuperBowl this year

Thanks for all help guys

How is the processor on the Denon AVR-3806 ... If it is a good enough proceesor , I can hold of on the out board amp and save up more money and get a good 5 channels amp later on this year...

If anyone here used the Denon AVR-3806 as a pro/pre please chime in

thanks again

I agree with Arky, go (eventually) separates...and JacksonBart...if you do a receiver..then grab an outboard amp ASAP.

I just finished traveling this road and found that the Yamaha RX-V2600 (A/V receiver and in the same class as the Denon) was certainly "loud" enough but did NOT reveal the full potential of the RF-7 speaker. I don't need to advocate a brand...but some real power up front is really necessary. I lived with the Yammi running surrounds and used a Rotel RB-1080 "out-board amp" just for the RF-7 up front. Very big difference. And finally last week finished converting to all separates....again, much better than the A/V receiver. I'm new to this...and repeated threads on this subject basically say the same thing. Make a long term plan that saves you from selling/buying...then selling/buying again.

Roger

I started out with an almost identical speaker lineup as you have; the exception was that I have a RSW-15 subwoofer, rather than the 12. My first receiver was a Yamaha 5560 that I had purchased some time before and really did not mate well with the RF-7s. My first major upgrade was when I purchased a B&K AVR 307 receiver, which was a HUGE upgrade. I then upgraded to B&K separates and have the Reference 31 processor (same as Ref 50 minus balanced inputs) and just purchased a 7270 amplifier. IMHO the RF-7s really need a separate amplifier to make them shine.

I've read good things about the 3806 but have never heard it. That being said, IMHO that 7250 amplifier will change the sound of your system much more than a processor upgrade. One more thing for you to consider: You should be able to pick up a 7270 or a 200.7 amplifier for below $1400 (if you have a little patience) which would allow you to go to a 7.1 system in the future. Do a little research, but I'm guessing the extra two channels will cost you less than $150.

-David

the seller from audiogon has this combo for sale

B&K Ref50 and B&K 7250 asking $2300.00 plus shipping

is that a fair price ?

Or should i go with the Denon avr-3806 and B&K 200.7

I would get the extra 2 channels with the 200.7 amp

But how is the processor on the Denon in comparision with the Ref50

I'll using this set up mostly for movie

thanks

If you're in the market for a processor, I have a Reference 30 that I will be selling here shortly. PM me if you're interested.

The price is, IMHO, on the high side of fair, but I tend to wait for the best deal. I would probably grab the amp and see how it mates with your Denon. You can upgrade the processor later.

But I would urge you to listen to what you are looking at buying, before you buy it...

Just wanted to know if the processor on the Denon AVR-3806 a good enough processeor ?

Because i don't want to buy another processor once i get the 5 channels power amp (B&K 7250)

I started out using a Denon AVR3802, which is bit older than the current 3806. I though it sounded awesome as it was with the RF-7s. However, I've later added a B&K Reference 200.7 7-channel amp. Holy $#!+!!!! The detail and clarity was just un-friggan-believable! The difference was ridiculous! And guess what I am still using (and actually listening to as I am typing this), yup the trusty ol' Denon AVR-3802/B&K Ref 200.7 driving the RF-7s, some 4 years later! Oh yeah, I definitly would like to eventually replace the Denon with something a bit more modern, but to be honost, it seems all these new High-Def DVD crap and the associated surround formats still needs to shake itself out. Only until then, will I seriously start to consider getting something newer. For all my current needs, this setup works perfectly and sounds awesome. The Denon does have an excellent Pre/Pro section, plus I really do like that feature of being able to hook up two sets of surrounds (I have RF-5s on the 'A' surrounds and RS-7 on the 'B' surrounds, so when I am listening to music, I have the 'A' surrounds activated, and when watching movings, got the 'B' surrounds activated). However, the 3806 does have some nice features that 3802 lacks that I wish I did have, such as the video switching, but it is not worth it to me to upgrade at this point.

To answer your immediate question, getting a Denon AVR3806 for now and adding an outboard amp would definitley be the most economical option, given your choices. However, if you could swing the extra cash for that B&K Pre/Pro and Amp combo, I'd grab it!

I'm very sure that some way some how i'll ending up with B&K ....

Anyway I'm going to audition the B&K AVR-507 this weekend ..... I did talk with B&K tech support yesterday and they told me that the B&K avr-507 and the B&K ref-50 have the exact same processor ....

Just want to know if any one using this particular receiver with theit RF-7 and how does it sound .... Is 150 WPC enough to drive these speakers ...

Boston, I promise I won't respond again. Buy a separate amp. You won't regret it.

I agree with Arky, boston, but you need to check it out for yourself prior to actually buying. I'd hate to see you buy a receiver, take it home and love it, only to hear it w/a separate amp later and be disappointed. On the other hand, you may go the other route and buy separates, take them home, love 'em and then hear a receiver that you would have been perfectly happy with... Food for thought.

-David

Thanks again guys

I think that i'm going to get the B&K AVR-507 and run it with the Reference 7 for now

If i needed more power then i will buy the 3 channels power amp for the front 3 speakers

But i think the 150 WPC from the B&K AVR-507 should be enough

most of the time i'll watching movies .... not mcuh audio at all

thank you all