What are HF vs. LF binding posts on the back of my new bookshelf speakers

newuser

Also yes, gold is actually lower in rate of electron loss (be it heat, electrical, etc) then copper and silver. What is actually funny is aluminum has the best energy dispersion per weight since copper and silver weigh alot more..... but gold is used by everyone including the term every company likes to say NASA (cause it is space age) because gold is non corrosive in most instances....

This has to be one of the strangest ways to express a concept that I have heard in a long time. So heat, electrical conductivity, etc. is a result of "electron loss"!? And "energy dispersion"... methinks the term "energy" is used just a "bit" too broadly here! For any of these concepts to be valid, you need to make a radical restriction of your frames of reference and to define much more closely exactly what "energy" you are talking about! Oh, and just where do all of those "lost electrons" go? I think we have just accounted for the lost mass of the universe! Can we say 'dark matter'? Sorry, too many quantum classes...simply couldn't resist!

For a man with a Ph.D I would have thought that you know exactly what I mean. energy dispersion (i.e. the ability to lose a electron readily, aka a conductor) energy comes in many forms be it heat, radiation, electrical, mechanical etc........ Aluminum has the ability to lose heat readily per weight than almost any other conductor. Insulators are materials that do not lose an electon readily and tend not to conduct heat or electricity well....

BTW how do you think metal is a good conductor? its ability to lose electrons is the reason how it is such a great conductor. The further away the electron is from the proton the more readily it is able to lose a electron, but due to the valence structure it does not exactly mean that the lower the element it is the more likely it is to lose the electron. But going back, copper tends to lose an electron very and hence it conducts electricity well and heat also. But lose an exectron is exactly what happens when energy is given. BTW Energy cannot be created nor destroyed only changed. Also Second Law of thermal dynamics = hot always goes to colder.

Relax a bit, I was having fun - and you missed the intended humor!

BTW, when you use the word "conductor" (or energy) you need to be a bit more specific (which was my point!). A good conductor of a train, electricity, and heat are different processes. And the notion that they "lose electrons", especially on a train or with heat conduction is not correct. {Edit for a bit more clarity: And even in a classical model, ions aren't lost. They exist is a lattice. And I think you are referring to the seeming movement of electrons and holes...in your particle vision. But electrons are not particles.

Just as your menu is not the meal it represents. Remember that the next time you pay big bucks to eat that plastic encapsulated glossy menu with the pictures and descriptions. And give my regards to the chef! And in a restatement of the same concept, if you destroy a picture of a person, are you guilty of manslaughter? And if you do it intentionally, are you guilty of 1st degree murder!? Such is the world where confusing a symbol with the thing itself has significant consequences! And if you burn a flag, are you harming that which it, albeit with very strong emotional bonds, represents? Hmmm.... So if you destroy a menu, do you have to pay for all the meals listed upon it? And I guess if you are on a diet, you would want to limit how much of the menu you ate...maybe just a corner or so...

This is done in play, but I hope you get the logical point! You don't mentally confuse symbols with that which they represent. Their use is, by definition, limited and qualified.}

And even in an electrical model, the old Bohr notion of the atom (you know, a nucleus with planets spinning about) has been supplanted by Schroedinger's cloud model where you do not have distinct 'things' doing anything! That's the price we pay for field densities and probabilities! So while the old billiard ball and planetoid models are convenient in some regards, they should not to be taken further than that, as they simply are not correct. And they certainly do not accurately reflect actual behavior as the linear logic simply fails to pass muster. After all, an electron "exists only as
a wave of probability, called a wave function, which collapses into reality when it is
measured, and promptly dissolves into unreality when you stop looking at it." In other words, the tree in the forest ceases to exist when you stop looking at it. Just ask Alice.

But as far as we are concerned, in the world of interconnects we really don't worry too much about heat conductivity (except at meagain's house where I am not quite sure what voltages and currents she is dealing with!). And as far as trains and conductors, well, I would like to see them used more, but so far no one has called my number to ask my opinion of that. And regarding electricity, we like to see conductors that are better at their jobs! After all, the less resistance we get from them, the better!

And in this regard, copper works just great. And at the rate of corrosion one might typically encounter, a once a year cleaning will suffice quite nicely! And if one were to try to be humorous (not me!!!), one might posit that at the rate folks swap out interconnects for the next best thing in interconnects, I don't see how there would be much opportunity for corrosion to accumulate!

But in any event, all of the fuss and commotion over the jumpers accommodating bi-wiring options is a topic that one could easily simply forget and be none the worse for their ignorance. And life becomes much simpler and surprisingly, just as, if not more, satisfying.

Oh, but if you like, Caig's Cramolin, Pro Gold, De-Oxit, or whatever in heck they are calling it this week, is a worthwhile product! (my only gripe is that you are hard pressed to tell the real differences between the various products except for the labeling! I suspect the treatments are basically the same thing with simply different labels...) But use it sparingly! More is not better! In fact, it is one of the few products which was actually demonstrated to improve bit-error-rate transfers back in the early 1980's...and we have used it in quite a few situations. Its nice to find a product that is not more hype than reality. I just wish they would be clearer about the REAL differences in the various versions that have crept up in the last 20 years from the original Cramolin which differed only in the % volume.

Relax a bit, I was having fun - and you missed the intended humor!

BTW, when you use the word "conductor" (or energy) you need to be a bit more specific (which was my point!). A good conductor of a train, electricity, and heat are different processes. And the notion that they "lose electrons", especially on a train or with heat conduction is not correct.

heat is a form of energy

And even in an electrical model, the old Bohr notion of the atom (you know, a nucleus with planets spinning about) has been supplanted by Schroedinger's cloud model where you do not have distinct 'things' doing anything! That's the price we pay for field densities and probabilities! So while the old billiard ball and planetoid models are convenient in some regards, they should not to be taken further than that, as they simply are not correct. And they certainly do not accurately reflect actual behavior as the linear logic simply fails to pass muster. After all, an electron "exists only as

a wave of probability, called a wave function, which collapses into reality when it is

measured, and promptly dissolves into unreality when you stop looking at it." Just ask Alice.

yes I know the Bohr model is old and is a predictions but it holds well even in the physic and chemical fields and theory still to a high degree. Only in very advanced physics do the electrons misbehave (epecially in quantum)

But as far as we are concerned, in the world of interconnects we really don't worry too much about heat conductivity (except a meagain's house where I am not quite sure what voltages and currents she is dealing with!). And as far as trains and conductors, well, I would like to see them used more, but so far no one has called my number to ask my opinion of that. And regarding electricity, we like to see conductors that are better at their jobs! After all, the less resistance we get from them, the better!

And in this regard, copper works just great. And at the rate of corrosion one might typically encounter, a once a year cleaning will suffice quite nicely! And if one were to try to be humorous (not me!!!), one might posit that at the rate folks swap out interconnects for the next best thing in interconnects, I don't see how there would be much opportunity for corrosion to accumulate!

But in any event, all of the fuss and commotion over the jumpers accommodating bi-wiring options is a topic that one could easily simply forget and be none the worse for their ignorance. And life becomes much simpler and surprisingly, just as, if not more, satisfying.

Oh, but if you like, Caig's Cramolin, Pro Gold, De-Oxit, or whatever in heck they are calling it this week, is a worthwhile product! (my only gripe is that you are hard pressed to tell the real differences between the various products except for the labeling! I suspect the treatments are basically the same thing with simply different labels...) But use it sparingly! More is not better! In fact, it is one of the few products which was actually demonstrated to improve bit-error-rate transfers back in the early 1980's...and we have used it in quite a few situations. Its nice to find a product that is not more hype than reality. I just wish they would be clearer about the REAL differences in the various versions that have crept up in the last 20 years from the original Cramolin which differed only in the % volume.

most deoxit are a acetone/methanol compount. The acetone to burn off most of the organic matter and to deoxide it, the methanol to clean the acetone and with the high evaporation rate, help dry quickly.... I find 91% isoprophyl just fine.....

This has become silly.

First, The other IMPORTANT half of Caig's process is PreservIT or DeOxIT Shield or whatever the name was, is, or will be. I don't keep up any more. They change names like musical chairs or underwear - at least I hope they change theirs!. The removal of the oxidation is an easy minor step and can be done by many means - but preserving the surface without inhibiting conduction is another. And the "preservative" is the important half (after it has been cleaned thoroughly if the treatment was not applied at inception. Here, I even found a site that makes reference to the confusing naming history: http://siber-sonic.com/electronics/caig.html

"Only in very advanced physics do the electrons misbehave (epecially in quantum)"

I am not going to debate this. Besides, I am laughing too hard! The irony is that electrons don't "misbehave", except in that they do not fit your model! They are acting in a perfectly correct manner! Only your understanding is 'incorrect' and your model too limited.

Electrons are near massless 'things' traveling near the speed of light. Its ALL quantum electrodynamics in that realm. OK..., well all except for the dumber electrons that Monster employs who need help figuring out which conductor to travel down - IF they can figure out in which direction to travel!

The notion that electrons are "lost", especially with heat conduction is not correct. And even in a classical model, ions aren't lost. They exist in a lattice. And in regards to electrical conductivity, I think you are referring to the seeming movement of electrons and holes...in your particle vision. But electrons are not particles.

But your menu is not the meal it represents. Remember that the next time
you pay big bucks to eat that plastic encapsulated glossy menu with the
pictures and descriptions. And give my regards to the chef! And in a restatement of the same concept,
if you destroy a picture of a person, are you guilty of manslaughter?
And if you do it intentionally, are you guilty of 1st degree
murder!? Such is the world where confusing a symbol with the thing
itself has significant consequences! And if you burn a flag, are you
harming that which it, albeit with very strong emotional bonds,
represents? Hmmm.... So if you destroy a menu, do you have to pay for
all the meals listed upon it? And I guess if you are on a diet, you
would want to limit how much of the menu you ate...maybe just a corner
or so...

This is done in play, but I hope you get the logical point! You
don't mentally confuse symbols with that which they represent. Their
use is, by definition, limited and qualified.

May I suggest that you simply dump the entire particle model that leads to this kind of erroneous thinking! All that results is a (perhaps) satisfying cartoon that may satisfy your imagination, but which is completely incorrect in fact. The notion that there is a 'basic' and an 'advanced' physics is spurious and exists only in your descriptions and your frame of reference! Electrons doesn't vacillate between the two... And the Bohr model is great, for cartoons, but not for explaining what we actually and currently understand about behavior. And it (the Bohr particle model) is utterly useless in quantum except as a nifty logo.

And heat is energy, huh? OK... I am sure there is some point to this... And I am sure there is some profound connection to the jumpers used to connect binding posts. But no, please don't tell me...spare me...my ribs are hurting already...

The point is, drop trying to explain any of this by using a non quantum model of electron behavior. And the conduction of heat has little necessary relation to the ionization of materials. All that results from this attempt is a cartoon model that looks great until you try to examine it, and then it all falls apart.

Well, I'd better go... its getting close to 9:30PM, and after that the quantum rules take over from the basic linear models and things become a bit strange. Gotta get all them electrons rounded up...you know how rowdy they can get! {Get it? "Strangeness" ...Sorry, more physics humor.}

This has become silly.

Well, I guess Klipsch isn't using Unobtainium anymore. The Metalunans have stopped answering their interoceter so they can't get any. Where is Exeter when you need him....damn!

Ah! The voice of reason! ...If you could only add a voice clip!

[:P]

Alas, it's a shame Upsidaisium won't work either!

Where are Gidney and Clyod when we need them!? (Gee, if people miss my regular humor, how many will get this!?)

Bullwinkle: A million dollars? That's antihistamine money, Rocky.

Rocky: Antihistamine money?

Bullwinkle: Not to be sneezed at.... Get it?

Rocky: I get it.

Bullwinkle: Millions won't.

And on a lighter note:

A man is working on the buses in the US collecting tickets. He rings the bell for the driver to set off when there's a woman not quite on the bus. The driver sets off, the woman falls from the bus and is killed. At the trial the man is sent down for murder and seeing as it's Texas he's sent to the electric chair.
On the day of his execution he's sat in the chair and the executioner grants him a final wish.
"Well", says the man, "is that your packed lunch over there?"
"Yes", answers the executioner.
"Can I have that green banana?"
The executioner gives the man his green banana and waits till he's eaten it.
When the man's finished, the executioner flips the switch sending hundreds of thousands of volts through the man. When the smoke clears the man is still alive. The executioner can't believe it.
"Can I go then?", the man asks.
"I suppose so", says the executioner, "that's never happened before."
The man leaves and eventually gets a job with another bus company selling tickets. Again he rings the bell for the driver to go when people are still getting on. A man falls under the wheels and is killed. The bloke is sent down for murder again and sent to the electric chair.
The executioner is determined to do it right this time so rigs the chair up to the electric supply for the whole of Texas.
The bloke is again sat in the chair. "What is your final wish?" asks the executioner.
"Can I have that green banana in your packed lunch?" says the condemned man.
The executioner sighs and reluctantly gives up his banana. The bloke eats the banana all up and the executioner flips the switch.
Millions of volts course through the chair blacking out Texas. When the smoke clears the man is still sitting there smiling in the chair.
The executioner can't believe it and lets the man go.
Well, would you believe it, the bloke gets his job back on the buses. Once again he rings the bell whilst passengers are still getting on, this time killing three of them. He is sent to the electric chair yet again.
The executioner rigs up all of the United States' electricity supply to the chair, determined to get his man this time. The man sits down in the chair smiling.
"What's your final wish?", asks the executioner.
"Well", says the man, "Can I have that green banana out of your packed lunch?"
The executioner hands over his banana and the man eats it all, skin included. The executioner pulls the handle and a bazillion volts go through the chair. When the smoke rises the man is still sitting there alive without even a burn mark.
"I give up", says the executioner, "I don't understand how you can still be alive after all that?". He stroked his chin. "It's something to do with that green banana isn't it", he asked.

Nahh," said the bloke, "I'm just a really bad conductor."

• 14 years later...
On 5/23/2007 at 10:06 PM, colterphoto1 said:

no one reads the owner's manuals, that's why I have a job.

to be fair, the manual only says if a single cable is used to leave the terminal connecting bar in place. Doesn't say whether to connect to the upper or lower terminals and whether that matters or not. To someone who might be completely new to this it leaves some room for confusion.