Record cleaning systems

wpines

I was setting a budget for my "first" turntable and cartridge (to go with my new BlueberryRemote and VRD stereeo amp) when it occured to me that I would need to budget for accessories. The best table and cart need clean records or what's the point? I need recommendations. I'd like to go with cheaper manual systems that work well, but if I need a higher priced automatic machine, then I'll start with a cheaper table and cart and go the upgrade path later. You opinions and experience will help me greatly. I havent's a clue.

My budget was going to be about 2k. Craig recommended a Music Hall 5 with a golring cart at about $1,100. That would leave me moneey for a higher priced cleaner.

Are there any other accessories besides a cleaner that I can't do without?

For $2k:

Step up to the MMF-7 (w/cart), $1,200,

Interconnects, $5 - $200,

Cleaning Solution $20 - $50,

Disc Dr Cleaning Pads $42,

VPI 16.5 RCM $500 (necessary if you plan to buy used vinyl),

A small level if you don't already have one (the bubble level in the MMF's is junk) $0 - $20,

Shure Stylus Force Guage $25

For $2k:

Step up to the MMF-7 (w/cart), $1,200,

Interconnects, $5 - $200,

VPI 16.5 RCM $500 (necessary if you plan to buy used vinyl),

A small level if you don't already have one (the bubble level in the MMF's is junk) $0 - $20,

Another option that would put you around $2.2k would be to skip the RCM for now and upgrade to a better TT. But you will still want an record cleaning machine later.

A VPI Scout $1,650,

Add a cart for $350,

Interconnects, < $100,

A small level if you don't already have one $0 - $20,

Thanks Strabo. Which way would you go? I will be getting my old vinyl out of storage (I used to clean then with a discwasher brush and fluid 20 years ago. I'm sure I'll be buying used as well as new records.

-the better table/cart and a cleaning machine later

-the lesser table/cart and the cleaning machine now

Thanks Strabo. Which way would you go? I will be getting my old vinyl out of storage (I used to clean then with a discwasher brush and fluid 20 years ago. I'm sure I'll be buying used as well as new records.

-the better table/cart and a cleaning machine later

-the lesser table/cart and the cleaning machine now

The more expensive automatic record vacs don't seem to clean any better than the cheaper manual record vacs. Just more convienent. The VPI's and Nitty Grittys are all great at cleaning records. Vacuming records though, no matter what system, gets really tedious for me. I can stand doing about 5 at a time before extreme boredom sets in. You can start out with a simple $200 basic Nitty Gritty and get your records as clean as higher end models. Then you can work your way up the ladder to either more automated Nitty Grittys or the VPIs later as your hobby progresses. There are a few other makers in the market now but they're on the expensive side.

As scott said, the difference in cleaning machines is for the most part convenience. I started with a basic manual nitty gritty and it worked perfectly. I upgraded to the VPI 16.5 only because it was easier to use not because it did any better of a job. I would put the money in the TT and go for something like the Scout and start with a cheaper cleaner. I know some folks around here use this which is a really inexpensive way to go.

http://www.garage-a-records.com/spin.html

Josh

I have the VPI Scout and the VPI 16.5 and highly recommend both.  Cleaning records with the 16.5 has worked out fine for me but I started out with that system.  I also use an Allsop Orbitrac 2 manual system to preclean before the VPI if I find an LP I gotta have that has a bunch of mold on it.  It works well at getting the mold off and the 16.5 brush doesn't get gunked up.  If I put on some music and grab a beer, I can go for at least 30 minutes of cleaning the old vinyl.  You can probably clean about 30 records or so in an hour so at $1 per clean, outsourcing is a little expensive if you have a lot of vinyl to scrub up.