Adcom amps

tom b. 57

I'm kinda lookin' to get the wind knocked out of me from time to time. My concerns with them being pro amps is, 1) do I need special cables or cords to hook them up to a preamp? 2) Will my McIntosh C-26 or my Phase Linear 3000 II work well as preamps? 3) I have 12 and 14 gauge speaker wire with no connectors on the ends, will this be fine? 4) What is a good price for a 200wpc unit 5) what model should I be keeping my eye out for?

Thanks, Tom

Tom,

1) Yes with all QSC besides the SRA series you will need to use an adaptor or a special cable. There are many folks that use these with no problems.

2)I don't know for sure. I use a marantz 2325 as a preamp. My ss luxman,hk 930 and audible illusions none of them had enough drive to get the QSC even close to its power capablilties. Only the Marantz 2325 had enough drive. And wow what a difference that makes when you see the full potential of these amplifiers.

3)Yes I use 12 gauge bare wire myself.

4)For the PLX 1202 I would think 3-400 would get you a nice one.

5)IMHO any of them.

The adapter needed for the QSC amps is to convert a RCA cable to a balanced one? Or are you referring to a different type of adapter?

How about a Peach preamp, do you think that would work well?

Thanks for any advice!

The adapter needed for the QSC amps is to convert a RCA cable to a balanced one? Or are you referring to a different type of adapter?

How about a Peach preamp, do you think that would work well?

Thanks for any advice!

Hi Z4!

I believe most use the 1/4" jack. Or I believe you can use balanced connections as well. Apologize in advance for not studying as much for the connections due to owning the SRA which is basically designed for home use. It just gives me the easy way out.

As far as a Peach preamp there have been several that have had great success with it. Maybe Carl or Chris will chime in here. In all honesty I should of already had a Peach in my system. Still diggin the Marantz at the moment so I guess I'll just stay on the fence for now.

"due to owning the SRA which is basically designed for home use" Which of their products are designed for home use? What are the price ranges of the "home stuff"? How many watts would you consider the minimum, optimum, and maximum for Klipsch Heritage?

Thanks,Brad

listening asking and learning.

"due to owning the SRA which is basically designed for home use" Which of their products are designed for home use? What are the price ranges of the "home stuff"? How many watts would you consider the minimum, optimum, and maximum for Klipsch Heritage?

Thanks,Brad

listening asking and learning.

Hey Brad,

Only the SRA series were designed for actual home use. But the PLX is a close second just not the normal home connections. The home amps were 1500/2000/2500 respectively. I've only seen 1 SRA come up for sale in the last 12 months. Folks who have them keep them.

Is the watts question a trick question? Everybody knows it only takes a good 5 watt amplifier for heritage speakers. But since you asked its not the power here these things just sound good with horns. Bass is tight, mids are full unlike most ss and highs are extended. Back to the watts I believe the smallest is 200wpc.

post-5505-13819334160514_thumb.jpg

I've had four Adcom amps -- the GFA535 is a great sounding amp with Klipsch and the 545 and 555 are too bright for Klipsch IMO. The 535 is 60 watts and sounds warm and precise -- its the only Adcom I have left.

B&K is perfect for Klipsch-- I''ve got a ST202 and PT3 preamp that's a great combination for KGs

Frankly, I found the Scott tube amp to be underwhelming. While it sounds good at lower volume levels, I found it running out of steam at moderate to high levels and then the bass would become muddy. It also produces hiss as you'd expect with older analog equipment. Not a bad amp, but my total cost was a little over $500 and can't beat or even match my $100 garage sale Adcom power amp and preamp.

Finally, the Voice of Reason .......

Scott ... is an antiquated product, not Musical Nirvava