kev313

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

He made a point though.

I have found myself in the exact same situation trying to listen to the RF 83's, further more the store proudly dip splay a best dealer of the year award from Klipsch.

The sales man was ignorant when it came to klipsch speakers, the set up was horrible ( this was also confirmed by others members of the forum who had been to the same store) and I'm not even an expert so I can only imagine what real audiophile would say

I had to go back 3 times to that store before I finally got to talk to someone who was knowledgeable and he still tried to steer me away from Klipsch.

Now you are going to ask why go back three times? The answer is I live in Dallas Texas and believe it or not we only have one Klipsch approved dealer( not including BB).

I'm not sure what is klipsch's policy regarding there approved dealers but, unless they are only interested in volume and low end of lklipsch's line of speakers which in the case selling at BB was the best choice, they really need to look into this or they are running the risk to lose there High end customers.

If I wanted to be treated like a ignorant who is waiting to be taken for all I've got, I would shop at BB ( can't even get the RF 83's there), I'm not saying that other approved dealer representing others brands would be better but chances are that if I found one who does the job right I might just switch to a different brand. I'm a Klipsch Fan and I'm thinking about it, so try to imagine what some would do if they did not even know klipsch at all and walked into one of those dealers. You always hear about the unhappy customers never about the ones who you missed.

• Moderators

Perhaps someone could invite John Potis to join our forum here?? Anyone know how to contact him?

Just click on John Potis at the end of the article (where it looks like a signature) and it will give you his email address.

Hi gaspr, thanks for writing me and for the invitation. Hello all.

It's nice to be here.

I have some good news! I heard from the Klipsch press guy, Keith Claytor. He says he's

been out of town and we'll try and talk when he's back on Monday. I know

from experience that you don't count your review samples before you've got them

unboxed, but I'm extremely excited. I can't wait to hear them.

After hearing the speakers demoed with a huge solid-state amplifier,

I'm curious as to what you all are using with yours? I'm also curious as to the

vintages in use. At what they do, I don't see Klipsch as having too much

competition these days so I would imagine that there's some real loyalty to the

brand and some longevity to ownership.

Hmmm. Neat forum. Where's the spell check and the "send" button!

Best to all,

JP

• Moderators

JP

Wecome to "The Forum". This is the greatest goup of people and yes we are all EXTREMELY loyal Klipsch fanatics.

You should check out the Pilgramage Section of the Forum and try to make it to the 2007 Pilgramage in Indianapolis the weekend of June 23, 2007.

I really enjoyed reading about your dealer "listening" experience. We agree with your sentiment...Klipsch doesn't have too much competition these days.

I would love to see a few more dealers displaying the Klipsch Heritage line in particular. The quality of the KIlipsch Heritage line can be directly contributed to the pride of craftmanship displayed at the Klipsch factory in Hope, Arkansas. During the 2006 Pilgramage to Hope, Arkansas we had the priviledge of meeting the fine folks at the factory in Hope. The dedication these folks put into building a quality speaker is unsurpassed, in my opinion.

Again, welcome to The Forum.

Thanks again!

Actually, I was checking out the Pilgrimage section a few nights ago and it did indeed look like a blast. I've been doing lot of poking around looking for whatever info I could find. Considering how long Klipsch has been around, I was fairly surprised how little info I could find. I also noticed that the only Klipsch speakers I see for sale are both old and pretty beaten up. That says a lot.

Thanks for the kind words on the piece. I would imagine that it rang true with a great many people. Too many people. Frankly, I'm surprised that it got around as quickly as it did.

Best,

JP

Welcome John

Stick around for a while and you will learn more
about all things Klipsch than you could ever learn from a dealer
IMO. I think you will find a wide range of opinions as to what is
best to drive the "big ole horns". Anything from flea powered
tube amps to high power SS pro amps. The fact that the
Klipschorn has been in continuous production for over sixty
years, says a lot about Paul Klipsch and his vision. Hope
you get to check out the Lascala II's soon? Look forward to your
review.

Garth

Welcome to the Madness John.

I won't editorialize with my personal thoughts as to why the hifi emporiums have gone the way of the dinosaur. Yet.

I thank the perseverence of a few brave fans within and outside Klipsch that we have a resurgence of the Heritage line at all. One of my personal projects is to update our listing of dealers who actively demonstrate and audition the Heritage products.

Michael - you want Heritage, I got Heritage!

post-10755-13819334178622_thumb.jpg

After hearing the speakers demoed with a huge solid-state amplifier,

I'm curious as to what you all are using with yours? I'm also curious as to the

vintages in use. At what they do, I don't see Klipsch as having too much

competition these days so I would imagine that there's some real loyalty to the

brand and some longevity to ownership.

Hmmm. Neat forum. Where's the spell check and the "send" button!

Best to all,

JP

I am personally using some RF-7s with B&K 200 watt/channel solid state amplifier in my own setup. It sounds quite good for my needs (I like to listen to a lot of power/progressive metal, and this setup seems to fit perfectly).

Anyway, welcome to the forum. From reading your article, it sounds like you are in the general Virginia/Maryland/D.C. area. I am in Fredericksburg, VA myself. If you ever want to hear an RF-7 setup, let me know as I'd be more than happy to let you come and listen to mine. Others have mentioned the "Pilgrimage", which is definitely worth going to if at all possible. However, there are some of us putting together a VA/MD/D.C. (since it sounds like you are in the general area) get-together in October. Here would be an excellent opportunity to listen to some nice Klipsch setups in homes with tube amplification and such. I've heard Gary's and Larry's setups, and they are really nice. There should be a thread within this "two-channel" section on the VA/MD/DC get-together. It even includes an optional attendance to a symphony performance of Holst's The Planets at the Strathmore.

Also to add, out of curiosity, which dealer in the D.C. area that you went to? Was it that Sound Images place in Falls Church? I was tempted to want to go up there myself and take a listen to what they got. I've gone into the Raven Hi-Fi right here in Fredericksburg, and that guy was pretty cool. Unfortunately, he did not have any Heritage on display, although he did have some RF-7s hooked up to a Conrad-Johnson tube amp and a Cambridge Audio Azure 540c CD-player at the time. I'll have to go into there again and see what he has going these days at is has been a little while (plus I really do want to eventually upgrade my pre-pro since I am currently using a Denon AVR-3802 reciever as a pre/pro, but I decided to take a wait-n-see approach to see how these new HD formats pan out). Now, if we could just get a dealer like that Werner Enge in Germany. That is one guy that is passionate with his Klipsch!

Thanks for the info, Steven.

Can you tell me how the RF series differs sound wise from the heritage series?

JP

This will not be a very good comparison as I am listening to mine with 200 watt/channel solid state and most of the Heritage I've listened to was with tube amplification. One thing I noticed is that the RF-7 is definitely a more "refined" sound, though. People do complain they lack a bit of mid-range, though due to the horn being crossed so high (something like 2200 hz, thus leaving the dual 10-inch woofer to have to carry the mid-range and low frequency duties). However, there is a crossover mod available that one of the guys (DeanG) does that seems lower the crossover point as well as upgrade the components that seems to really bring out the mid-range. Something I still need to consider doing.

The Heritage really does have some good mid-range, but I've heard complaints that it can be "in your face". I guess that is why many folks like to use lower-power tube amplifications. Me, being a heavy metal type of guy, I do like it hard and loud! (Probably why I am jonesing for a pair of Cornwall III's now! [H]).

But, I will admit that with my B&K Ref 200.7 amp, the clarity and dynamics of my RF-7s really is quite incredible, though. I do have a REL Storm III sub also helping reinforce the bottom as well, which really brings out the bass, and also seems to even enhance the mid-range a bit.

Holy crap! Evel Knievel just called! He wants permission to jump your speakers! Personally, I don't think he can do it! I hope you've normally got them in at least two different rooms!

Tell me what you're doing with them all!

JP

Some of us are just plain fans. I affectionately call it my 'old guy hobby'. Some collect art, some cars, I like these machines that make beautiful music. Total is about 70 +/-. I like to tinker, what can I say? Yeah, lots are in the garage awaiting the day when I can get a shop going to refurbish/reveneer these monsters.

Does Klipsch know or even care how their products are being shown? Mind
you, the Klipschorns were not part of the multi-channel system - that was composed of another brand.

I'm
not even certain I'm to the worst part yet. Did I mention that these
105dB efficient loudspeakers were connected to a 400-watt solid-state
McIntosh? Stop laughing, I kid you not. If we can't get center seating,
I guess a synergistic mating of components is out of the question. That
there's a limited market for esoteric flea-powered amps I'll have to
accept but this type of gross mismatch I shouldn't have to.

========================================

And the next line was about not sealing in the corners.

I have been in sales for 24 years and would give my good right arm to get out of the Auto Industry and sell for Klipsch at a regional level.

My only"brick and mortar" Klipschorn demo 5 years ago was with 20+ year old K horns with old networks (Amen to old caps sounding bad) with a 300 usd garden variety Yamaha integrated amp. It was horrible. Thank goodness I have had the good fortune to listen to the Parrot's K Horns in a room PWK would love in the past 2 years.

It should be like the Miller High Life commercials. If your demo room and service are a disrespect to our product. Klipsch pulls the product. Heaven knows how many Ford, DCX and GM dealers with apathetic service have helped weaken the perceived value of the vehicles made by the aforementioned manufactures.

I could pull off an amazing K Horn demo with my TT and Scott LK-48, compared to what system front ends dealers I have seen have configured.

Congrats for those who take the time to publish the truth about the self fulfilling prophecy of the ongoing demise of brick and mortar stores. When it is the customers fault, someone is telling a lie.

>>>>>Also to add, out of curiosity, which dealer in the D.C. area that you went to? Was it that Sound Images place in Falls Church?

I was at the Meyer Emco in Bethesda, Steven. I called several dealers that were listed as having Heritage speakers but this was the only one I found. I started by calling another store but was told that only the Bethesda store had any at all.

JP