Need preamp recommendations

toadtobin

Looking for a good 2 channel preamp- preferably with XLR outs. Any ideas? I'd rather not spend more than 500, but might be willing if there is some real value to be had at a slightly higher price point. Currently using a H/K 3470 reciever for preamp duties going into a crown XLS 402 amp powering RF-7's.

Looking for a good 2 channel preamp- preferably with XLR outs. Any ideas? I'd rather not spend more than 500, but might be willing if there is some real value to be had at a slightly higher price point. Currently using a H/K 3470 reciever for preamp duties going into a crown XLS 402 amp powering RF-7's.

You do nto need XLR outs to run to an XLR in amp. Just buy or make cables.

If you are using a pro amp, make sure that your input impedence matches between the preamp and the amp (by a factor of about 10).

The Sunfire Classic Tube Preamp has xlr connections. It would be something above your price point, but you might get lucky. saw one on Ebay a few weeks ago.

Don't know about being a great match with the Crown.

I'd echo what Coytee says about the Peach. Any JM preamp has a fabulous sound. Also, this is another tube pre. don't know about the match with the Crown.

Yeah, I know about the impedance matching thing and my setup is not dialed in. Right now I'm just using some male to male rca-xlr cables from calestogo.com and I have to turn the gain on my power amp up pretty high which is causing some hiss issues. I'm considering trying out an ART Cleanbox- seems to have gotten some good reviews.

My Crown amp is ok, but it's just gotta last me until I get a QSC PLX2 amp.

Thanks for all the advice so far.