Reference line info needed

ATLDiver

Everyone,

I'm new here so be gentle but I ask for some honest advise. I've been in the market for about 6 mos to upgrade my HT/Audio setup at home, slowly I've been doing research but I plan on purchasing speakers after Xmas.

First of all I recently updated an older Sony Dolby Digital A/V receiver to a HK 320 Dolby/DTS unit which improved overall performance of my very old Pioneer towers. The Pioneer's will be in the trash very soon but before that I need to decide on what I want so I turn here. My Fiancé' is getting a KLF-C7 center channel but I'm buying the front's and rears myself. I've listened to the RF-3 towers which blew me away with the quality of the sound but I believe I'm going to opt for the RF-5's however I've yet to find them to listen to. Can anyone give me some experiance with the HK stuff and RF-5's? Also, what would be a good match for the rears?

With RF-3s or 5s I would recommend the RC-3 or RC-7 center channel instead of the KLF-C7. The reference series are all tonally matched, and it is very important in a HT to have the front 3 speaker be tonally matched. Sorry I don't have any info on the RF-3 vs the RF-5. For the rears a good match would be RS-3 or RS-7.

Actually, if you go with RF-3, then get an RC-3 and RS-3. However, if you go with RF-5, I would recommend RC-7 and RS-7, since they will have the same horn.

Bryan

------------------

"... But Honey - I promise this is the last thing I will have to buy for the Home Theater"

Mistubishi VS60603 60" RPTV

Denon AVR 3802 Receiver

Denon DVM 1800 DVD Changer

JVC 3600U SVHS VCR

RCA DirecTV Satellite Tuner

Klipsch RB5 - Mains

Klipsch RC3 - Center

Klipsch RCW3 - In-wall Surrounds

Velodyne SPL1200 Subwoofer

Monster HTS1000 Power Conditioner

Acoustic Research Pro Series Interconnects

I can't give you an opinion on the C-7 issue, but I can tell you that the HK320 is going to love those Klipsches. I have an HK AVR7000 that just rockets my RF-3's into pure bliss. I have an old HK 550i stereo receiver in my shop that still kicks some behind. I hooked it up to the RF-3's and realized I bought too much power in the AVR7000. The 550i's 45 watts per channel also sounded great through the RF's. I now wonder why I decided on a 100 watt receiver. Logic7-C is a nice touch also.

Good luck and enjoy!

JT

I have the RF-3 II Towers powered by a Yamaha HTR-5460 which puts 110 watts RMS into them. Dear Lord have mercy do they sound wonderful!!!

I can't imagine what the RF-5 or even the RF-7s sound like hooked up to a big amplifier.........

------------------

Ice is forming on the tips of my wings.....-Pink Floyd, Learning To Fly

ATLdriver:

Welcome to the Board! Stick with the advice you are getting here on the center channel. The center speaker needs to be matched to the front left and right speakers in high and midrange information especially. If not, any Home Theatre sound that goes, for example, left to right will cause you to notice the difference as the sound changes in the middle. An 8 cylinder muscle car can turn into a 4 cylinder with with an overpriced muffler as it hits the center...it will cause you to look at the speakers instead of what is on the screen. Stick with an RC-3(or series II)or an RC-7 with the RF-3 or RF-5 and go with RS-3's or RS-7's for the rear.

PhilH

deang - you are right - that is why I said the horn (not the driver). The actual Tractrix horn on the RF-5 is the bigger version. The RC-3 would probably be fine - just the actual horn will be smaller. Also, the crossover point on the RF-5 is different than the RC-3 and other 3 series, and I think it matches more closely to the 7 series. (Sounds like we are talking about BMWs here Smile.gif )

Bryan