Well...Dish Network is installed

33klfan

Well a guy from dish came and in a few minutes, he said we could get strong enough signal. The problem must have been directv's service guy, because the guy from dish said that directv's angle can be higher than dish. Anyhow the hd channels are awesome. I've already been recording which has been going pretty well. All went well, but i still have some questions. The regular channels looks so so. They are clear like but have a weird movement to the picture like blurred pixelization if that makes any sense. Some sd channels are better than others. I really noticed on FX last night on italian job, the closeup of someone talking was all pixelized at the mouth area. That channel look really bad for that movie because even when people moved, around the edges it was jagged like. I noticed this somewhat on other sd channels but not as bad as on fx. Now, on the hd side. I recorded red hot chili peppers live performance on rave and in certain parts when they are jumping or moving fast like the one guy that had no shirt on, his whole upper body was really pixelized. Everything is fine except for the pixels. I don't know what problem that is, but i was wondering if anyone had any ideas. Other than that the guy that installed everything was really nice, and did a nice job. If that pixel problem can go away it would be 100% superb.

Problem is not with the equipment, as I am sure you have a signal that is peaked. Bell uses the same hardware with different software in Canada. This becomes more of an issue on some channels that have higher compression than others. It could also be some noise from the TV itself, as it has to upconvert the SD signals to display on your TV. Also, even though HD channels are supposed to be HD all the time, they sometimes sneak in SD commercials and shows.

While the HD is usually always spectacular SD can very in quality from poor-average-very good do to the upscaling functions involved in your TV set. I watch analog (OTA) on a Sony standard crt trinitron tv at the same time on a Sony 46" HDTV 1080P (same channel) . The TV's are 15 ft apart on the same wall and same antenna. The analog on the standard tv looks normal while the analog/digital on the HD tv the text has spiderwebbing and tends to crinkle things around the mouth as you say. Banding that appears on the standard tv is the same on the HDTV and I have never received banding on the HDTV without seeing it on the standard tv. (The digital channels are delayed about 1 second from the analog channels) I have also noticed that in adverse weather conditions some of the 720 P HD programs are very slightly noisy in the background (like film grain) and the 720P broadcasts tend to loose sharpness but this could be related to transmitter location, frequency, power, etc. I am not sure yet if the broadcasters are starting to cheat on the transmission bitrate. Full bitrate HD is around 50-160 megs per second (4:4:4:) and the broadcast rate is around 15 to 24 megs per second (4:2:0), the latter called HDV created by using the MPEG2 codec so things could be more economical (use less bandiwidth). Some cheapos are trying to get away with 8-12 megs per second. The more they squeeze the more money they make and the worse the picture gets because they multicast as many as 4 more SD channels with the HD channel. The more they squeeze the more channels they can utilize. Also the cable & satellite companies re-code their programming making it propriatory. (you need their boxes to de-mux the stuff). It still looks pretty dam good though.

JJK

Thanks for the info. I've been watching some sd programs now, and they don't look too bad for sd because i know they aren't suppose to be like hd. Now that fx broadcast was terrible, so it must have been bad compression or something. Rave is awesome! So is Rush! I have the dish vip622 set to 1080i. Would there be a difference between that and 720p. My tv is 1080p.

Either way the television has to pick apart the signal, and scale it to the native resolution. If the TV will accept 720P in, try that instead of the 1080I signal it is receiving now. There is more info in the signal, and may result in a better picture.

Agreed. The 622 supports 720p & 1080i.