McIntosh or B&K

Q-Man

Hey Big Bean, your post was without doubt the most intelligent thing Ive heard all day, quite possible all month (seriously). Your right, most high-end equipment is going to sound fantastic, and like you said, this is a hobby, its about having fun. There can truly be more to audio than sound. For some people, owning McIntosh or Krell gear is like owning a Ferrari or Porsche, its more than just a thing. Also, I know what you mean about selling that tuner, it is no longer made, it was yours, and it was special. I think half the enjoyment with audio is seeing that Klipsch logo glowing in your dimly lit listening room while watching the large, blue wattmeter jumping around on the front of a 150 pound McIntosh amp. Its all about fun and personal satisfaction, simply not the sound. This hobby is not a competition or a game, but about yourself and showing off to friends.

Thanks Kenratboy,

I was almost regreting that post but I have six or seven old nondescript pieces of Japanese components stacked up in the closet that I sure don't miss much. My thirty year old Harmon Kardon tube integrated (not worth much) and my Conrad Johnson are my favorites. Maybe it's like cars, most cars will get you where your going but sometimes it's fun to know what's under the hood. cwm1.gif

BB

BigBean hit the nail right on the head.

------------------

L/C/R: Klipsch Heresy II

Surround: Klipsch RS-3

Subwoofers: 2 HSU-VTF-2

Pre/Pro/Tuner: McIntosh MX-132

AMP: McIntosh MC-7205

DVD: McIntosh MVP-831

CD Transport: Pioneer PD-F908 100 Disc Changer

Turntable: Denon DP-72L

Cassette: Nakamichi BX-1

T.V. : Mitsubishi 55905

SAT/HDTV: RCA DTC-100

Surge Protector: Monster Power HTS-5000

Just want to let everyone know that I appreciated all your comments.

Eric, the pres. of Cinpro has called me to discuss his amps. They do sound very good. If I had Klipsch speakers like the KLF's or the new Reference line I would go with Cinpro. The Heritage line just doesn't need the 250 watts per channel. Eric does state that I could just turn down the gain controls to between 9 & 12 o'clock . He is calling me monday with some prices on some amps that he let Tannoy barrow for a show. If the prices are too good to refuse , I'll go with the

2K6-3.

If not, Ron Cornelius, the product Mgr. for McIntosh has me 90% convinced to go with the Mc126. He has called me twice, instead of answering my emails. After we discused a number of issues that I had, he jokingly said, what do you think Paul is using with his Klipschorns? I kind of feel safe with a 50 year old name.

It's sure hard to buy without a dealer demo.

Meanwhile, I started to wire up a dedicated 30 amp 120 volt circut today. I got the idea from the Cinepro web site.

tblasing,

I checked out audio classics, thanks. The prices seem high on the used Mac stuff. I did email them some figures that I would be willing to pay. We'll see what happens there.

Q.

------------------

Q-Man

This message has been edited by Q-Man on 01-01-2002 at 08:44 PM

It's the McIntosh.

The lowest price out of three dealers was $2600.00 plus tax. None to demo & no trial exchange period. They couldn't answer any of my questions, I had to go to the company direct to get answers.

So, I said the heck with them & ordered a new one factory sealed for $2200.00 including shipping from a guy I found on ebay.

Not at all how I expected to buy a McIntosh.

Q.

------------------

Q-Man

This message has been edited by Q-Man on 01-01-2002 at 08:37 PM

I just ordered the B&K 7270 for $2450 shipped on net (no sales tax) to go w/ my reference 30 pre/pro. also they're taking back that marantz ma6100 for a full refund. if the 7270 sounds too "mass market" i'll send it back Biggrin.gif

so if anyone wants my newer acurus A200x5 i'll let it go for what i paid w/ shipping from ubid. otherwise i'll use it w/ the marantz sr8000 in the listening lounge.

------------------

My Home Systems Page

thanks ears & mike L. guess i'll hear how it sounds w/ the ref 30 compared to the now acurus 200five.

warning: beware, this addiction is tuff enough.

for me it was get a seperate amp to add to the receiver. then, hey now i have an amp why not get a better seperate pre/pro. then, hey now i have a nice sep pre/pro so why not get a better amp. argggg, when & where will it end? & i have a girlfriend that doesn't even notice the constantly changing equipment (well, maybe the additional speakers). cwm30.gif

ending my hi-fi addiction was not a NY resolution so i'll talk w/ u soon. but i won't be drinking Biggrin.gif

------------------

My Home Systems Page

This has developed in quite a project.

I had to run the wire for the 30 amp circut around the outside of the house in conduit. Then I had to cut holes in the siding in orded to fish the wire down the inside wall. So, now I'm putting up new siding on the back of the house.

I'm also building new falce corners for the front Klipschorns. I want to angle the speakers a little different. Plus the drywall has come loose on the side walls next to the K-Horns. A month ago I started hearing some loud vibrations, which sounded like it was comimg from the Klipschorns. The drywall on the far side of the speakers broke loose from the screws which hold it in place. So it now keeps slapping againts the firing strips.

I'm getting rid of the two side pieces that are on each side of the center T.V. unit. This will give me the space I need for the new corners. I am also going to pull the center unit off the wall another foot. This will allow me to mount the LaScalas used for the front effect channels 2-1/2 feet behind and to the right and left of the Klipschorns, instead of on top of them.

They will sit on top of the new falce corner walls. This will now place them closer to where Yamaha recommends.

Well, I have to get back to work, Maybe I can get this all done before the amp arrives.

I also ordered Outlaws ICBM.

Later, Q.

------------------

Q-Man

This message has been edited by Q-Man on 01-06-2002 at 08:25 AM