Members Weekly Music Recommendations-June 11

thebes

Weather-wise we are in transition form the glories of spring to the hot sultry days of summer. I don't know about you but my musical moods seem to shift along with this change. I guess in the back of my mind I'm thinking of good background music for a barbecue or something a little more uplifiting for a sweaty summer night when you feel like breaking loose. One cd immediately comes to mind:

Santana, "Supernatural", cd rock baby rock

It's amazing to think that 8 years have passed since the release of this album revived the furtunes of, and appreciation for, one of the great guitar players of this or any decade. This one has it all, classic rock, his signature guitar and great singers driving the songs. Only one sort-of-rap piece in the whole album. Recording quality is superb. One of the bests, best work.

So what do have to share this week?

Funny you should mention Carlos, since that is one track I placed on a 10.5" R2R tape that I am putting together. Santana, "The Sensitive Kind" from the LP Zebop. Only seen Carlos 4 times (3 @ Merriweather Post Pavillion in Columbia MD back in the 80's)

Always been a BIG Santana fan......Great Choice, but let's not leave out some of his earlier releases:

Shango, Inner Secrets, Marathon, Havana Moon and Freedom

ON a side note, I was just informed by email from the webmaster @ Robin Trowers' site, that they are in the planning stages for a USA tour, 1/2 USA and 1/2 European for 2008.

I got one........Jon Butcher "Wishes" featuring the hit "Goodbye Saving Grace"

For those not familiar w/Jon Butcher, he released both solo and band albums under the name of Jon Butcher Axis. Jon also played w/ the J. Geils Band back in 1982 while on tour. He is known as a Rock and Blues singer and guitarist, and this LP is notably his best piece which was released in 1987. Happy 20th!!!

Don't really know what to write about this week.............Maybe I'll just list my TOP 5 Alvin Lee Discs....quite a career old Alvin's having, many different type bands he's played with.................So, I guess I'll start with;

SSSSH............Ten Years After...saw this album at a PX in Frankfort Germany.........What a cover, had to have it, never heard of Tens Years After, Well that was then, and now Alvin is one of my favorites...........Good Morning Little Schoolgirl........Classic Alvin

CRICKLEWOOD GREEN........My next Ten Years After.......Wow, they seem to skirt on the boundaries of Jazz, every now and then...Pretty amazing for a Rock band.......and playing a double cut-away Red Gibson with a peace sign..............

A SPACE IN TIME........What a Ten Years After album, great song writing, great playing, just a fine assortment of songs....I'd Love to Change the World...Classic stuff..................Baby, let Me Rock an' Roll You..........Alvin comes of age......Many say Capt. Speedfingers dies on that album........WRONG, Alvin Lee steps to the front of the line as a great Guitarist

ROCK AND ROLL MUSIC TO THE WORLD..............Title says it all..............Choo-Choo Mama, indeed.......This is the highlight of Ten Years After as a Rock Band.........the end was near, Alvin a little dis-enchanted with the Rock critics who just commented about his speed finger style playing, Boy were those idiots way off the mark..............this is a talented man standing there in his clogs, making his guitar sing for the people

IN FLIGHT.............This is an ALVIN LEE album, double disc set without any Ten Years After songs.......Didn't like it at first, but once you get the fact out of your head that this isn't TYA, it becomes a fine disc........MEL COLLINS on SAX.......nuff said........

So there's my Top 5 Alvin Lee albums, give them a listen, and I hope you enjoy them as much as I do..............Boy, I love the 70's Rock.............

I had to do a search to make sure I hadn't suggest this before,

akvH.i62i

TOOTS & THE MAYTALS

Toots is the perfect mix of funky reggae soul dub! Toots is even credited with coining the term reggae. This is one of the most prolific Caribbean artist and he is one of my favorites and perfect for summer backyard grilling parties. The girls love to dance to these tunes just irresistible. Helll Yeah!

ras80458-Toots.jpg

If you aren't familiar with Toots and the Maytals two of their older records have been rereleased remastered THIS IS CRUCIAL REGGAE & FUNKY KINGSTON /IN THE DARK.

Here are some samples of Toots to check out.

http://www.amazon.com/20th-Century-Masters-Millennium-Collection/dp/B00005N8Z6/ref=m_art_pr_4/104-0722489-5166315

http://www.amazon.com/Funky-Kingston-Dark-Toots-Maytals/dp/B00008NRKB/ref=sr_1_1/104-0722489-5166315?ie=UTF8&s=music&qid=1181850313&sr=1-1

244664753_4e6985e302.jpg?v=0244463049_88d7ef9e05.jpg?v=0

Willie is on a Toots tribute CD called True Love which is ok. It features Bootsy Coollins, Willie Nelson, Bonnie Raitt, Eric Clapton, Shaggy and many others.

[ip] [ip] [ip] [ip] [ip] [ip] [ip] [ip] [ip] [ip] [ip] [ip] [ip] [ip] [ip] [ip] [ip] [ip]

Ok. this will be something different.

If you havent already checked this ol stuff out. May I suggest "The Traveling Wilburys" . Recently got The unreleased Masters from Australia, 31 tracks. Way so good, Petty. Orbinson, Harrison, Wilbury, Dylan. Its a sweet combo of all their stuff. More in LP than CD.

Enjoy, Mike

Ok. this will be something different.

If you havent already checked this ol stuff out. May I suggest "The Traveling Wilburys" . Recently got The unreleased Masters from Australia, 31 tracks. Way so good, Petty. Orbinson, Harrison, Wilbury, Dylan. Its a sweet combo of all their stuff. More in LP than CD.

Enjoy, Mike

Isn't it great when they release an unreleased masters or just a demo cd with extra tracks of your favorite albums. I am still collecting the Beatles masters and demos so wonderful stuff in their and if you have the Beatles Sessions book you can read and listen to the evolution of their songs. Brilliant.