HD DVD and the Toshiba HD A20

dachuckster

Copied and pasted from Crutchfield;

"plays HD DVD high-definition discs (selectable 720p/1080i/1080p output available through HDMI output; 720p/1080i output also available via component video on discs lacking ICT copy-protection)"

If I hook up a HD DVD player to my Sony XBR1 (1080i max input) what dos the ICT copy-protection have to do with playback via component cables?

not sure what ICT copy protection is but HDMI devices have to be capable of comunicating HDCP (ICT may be another name for it)to each other. component cables are not capable of transmitting the code therefor HDCP material can not be played at a high resolution. most devices will play the material through component but at a lower rez. this prevents the disc from being copied at HD resolutions. the description above sound like its saying in order to get 720p or 1080i with component the disc cant be copy protected.

"Down-rezing" is the act of taking a full 1920 x 1080 image and converting it into a 960 x 540 image when the image is output over unprotected analog connections (eg, component video). This is one quarter of the total resolution of full high-definition, but still 50% more than a 720 x 480 standard-definition picture. Down-rezing is controlled by the Image Constraint Token -- or ICT -- as defined by AACS and is enforced by both formats. ICT does not apply to HDCP-protected digital outputs.<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

Again, it is up to the Studio to decide whether they want to assert ICT or not on any particular disc, and many studios have announced that they will not do so. Any discs (in either format) that asserts the ICT will contain product labelling to inform customers that they will not get a full HD picture over unprotected outputs.

No HD disks are limiting resolution from component output yet. You will find that through component your player won't upscale regular DVDs, but you will have no problem playing the HD Disks with the 1080i output. I'm not aware of any studios that have expressed any intention to do so at this point.

However, I really don't see any point in getting an A20. The A2 will do everything the 20 will, and even if someone has a 1080p set that will take a 1080p signal, most TVs will de-interlace that signal pretty much perfectly.

-tim

I can see one point in getting the HDA20. That being that you can buy one for $199. I bought one yesterday for that price. The thing is slow to respond to commands from the remote. Other than that it makes a fine picture, even with old DVD's.

Keith

My mother-in-law saw my bedroom Toshiba 37" LCD and wanted one, so I bought her a Toshiba LCD like mine and the A20 at CC. CC has a $200 instant rebate thing going on when purchased with certain TV's. So $399 minus $200 was the price.

I set them up today. Didn't have a lot of time to watch, just did the setup for a couple of hours. Upscaled old DVD's look good. I used a monoprice $10 HDMI cable. She didn't act like she was crazy about having another DVD player, she has several. If she's not happy with the A20 in a week or two I'll probably get her whatever else she wants. I could use a new DVD player.

Keith

HH Gregg giving away the Toshiba HD-A2 free with a purchase of a TV $999.00 or over. Best Buy $299.00 plus five HD-DVD movies and Circuit city the same thing. This is not the Toshiba HD-A20 which is $499.00.

JJK

I dont understand why people are buying HD DVD players when only one studio releases movies on HD DVD with that likely to change at the end of the year/early next year....

The beauty of it is that none of us have to understand why others do anything.

Keith