Tape Decks? - Nakamichi CR-5

dkalsi

Someone Local is selling a Nakamichi Tape Deck Model CR-5

I've always read good things about Nakamichi tape decks - he is asking $75 for it? Is that any good, should I chose to pass on it, did anyone on the form really want it?

Couldn't find anything on in online but someone in Australia e-bay was selling it for close to $300AU dollars.

I've been enjoying a Nac.CR-1a since the late 1980's. I don't know exactly how the CR-5 fits into the line of Nacs., but I know mine was the bottom end, I paid over $400.00 for mine new, so $75 sounds like a steal if you still have need for a dinasaur. One thing about Nac's, It doesn't matter which model you get, it's still high quality circuitry. Good Luck

I've had my CR-3A since day one (since it was new).  I used to use 2 Nacs (when I used to dub tape to tape (many years ago).  In the day, the CR-3A was their cheapest 3 head deck.  The CR-5 was a step up.  If the thing still works good, and you need a deck, you can't do better.  Nakamichi was the class of the field in it's day.  Of course I no longer record on it, but for playback it still sounds good.

Lou 

A CR-5 is an excellent deck and you can't beat the $75 price. Just remember it has a number of years since it has been made and parts and repair may be difficult. Sometimes you can find them on "the Bay" and do then yourself if handy (rubber belts tend to dry rot and gears need to be lubed). Here's a link for more information http://www.naks.com/

Best of luck with your choice.

Most any Nak is a good deck. I found a LX-5 on Audiogon a couple of years ago for $100, it is pretty sweet, plus I am an owner from new of a 480, which I still love for its fidelity and simplicity. If you need to have it worked on, it won't be cheap but I think it is still worth it.

I agree, Nak is top shelf equipement. I had a chance to buy one used about 6 months ago from the guy I bought my power amp from. I can't remember the model, but they go for about $450 - $500 on ebay. It was the model below the Dragon. Anyway, my point is, it was the best sounding cassette deck I've ever heard.

The Nak is a heck of a good deck. Parts are plentiful and very reasonably priced. Best part is they are super simple to work on. If you do decide to get it replace the idler if it is noisy. A complete rebuild kit for it is less than $30 for high quality precise fitting parts.

Nakamichi has been supplying their heads to many deck companies for decades. Without a doubt they are some of the finest sounding units on the market.

I've worked on dozens of them. Solid units and sound as good as any.

Harry