Surrounds for Heresy + Academy

mdl

So I am not much of a home theater purist.. I went back to a Klipsch setup and sold off my old speakers (Axioms, which were ok... they were small.. but nothing special). I now have Heresy's and an Academy center and I am quite happy. However, I still need four surrounds (I run 7.1). I am not too concerned about timbre matching with the front, and would prefer small speakers due to space considerations. I also seem to prefer direct surrounds vs ambient surrounds. Surrounds are powered by an Anthem MCA 5 (fronts are via an HK A402 integrated). My options seem to be:

1. find some KG 1.x speakers. However, these seem rare and even on ebay cost a fortune to ship.

2. try something like the RB-10. The size is nice, but they seem like I could not cross over to the sub at 80hz. I think moving up to the RB-51 may be too big. I understand there was an RB-15 which may be ideal.

3. try something like the Hsu HB-1. These are cheap, are more full range, and do have a horn tweeter. However, the build quality seems cheap compared to the RB-10.

Any suggestions? Anyone wanna sell me four RB-15's cheap :-)

• Like 1

forget those little speakers they'll never keep up.

For most HT's 5 great speakers is better than 7 including some puny ones. Plus unless you absolutely dedicate yourself to proper placement, you'll be scrambling the 7.1 channel sound field.

patience.

While you are currently happy, the Academy does not blend well with the Heresy or Heresy II for that matter. If you did some pans across the front three from left to right or right to left it would be immediately obvious.

You would be much better off and alot happier with a Heresy at center then you would have a perfectly timbre matched system. You could sell the Academy and make enough money for another pair of Heresy's right there.

My vote would be for 5 Heresy's and a subwoofer that combination would be stellar and tough to beat at any price point.

You can also wait for the new NEWS from Klipsch after the upcoming Pilgrimage.

As someone who has tried several different combinations for Home Theater...Heresys+KLF-C7+kg2s, Heresys+Academy+KSF-S5s, Quartets+Academy+Heresys, variations on the previous listed speakers, updated/upgraded crossovers in several of these speakers, Heresys all around (5 plus a Sub)...Charles (Frzninvt) is right...5 Heresys RULE (of those I tried)...your mileage may vary...good luck with your choice

Bill

While you are currently happy, the Academy does not blend well with the Heresy or Heresy II for that matter. If you did some pans across the front three from left to right or right to left it would be immediately obvious.

You would be much better off and alot happier with a Heresy at center then you would have a perfectly timbre matched system.

Hi Frzninvt.. the problem is, I do not care about HT that much... and my tube amp occupies front center so a Heresy center would not fit (I run a front projector). In addition, believe it or not, the pans are better than a "matched setup" I had previously (I think proper positioning with respect to room boundaries helps a lot). Room aesthetics and keeping out of the way of my two channel system is the priority (I do not use the Heresies for 2 channel)... so no room for Heresies all around (if I could, I would.. they are cheap enough).

Thanks for the advice... and I will see what comes out of the pilgrimage.

• Like 1