what the he!! ??????????? (vinyl)

here i thought i knew what i was doing i had progressed up the so called turntable ranks to what should have been my best table (in my price range) i went from an onkyo, to a thorens, to a dual 5000, to a basis 1400, to a clearaudio champion level 2, and finally to a vpi tnt 5 (9000.00) worth of table

i recently sold my table to make up some $$$$$$$$$ for a home purchase, I knew i would get another table but not nearly as good as the tnt, a forum friend had an oracle delphi he no longer used with a graham 1.5 arm attached that i was able to buy at a very fair price, another forum friend had a cartridge he was selling the statement sonata (0.5 mv output) so today i get everything set up i do a slip shot cartridge alignment with my geo disc, set the tracking weight as suggested by grado 1.5 grams, i had went to a web site that calculates freq. response for arm and cart combos and they suggest 10 to 14 is a range you want to be in, but you can narrow that down to between 9 and 11 if you are a finiky type, suffice to say my combo was not supposed to be very good as the calculation was 8.65, but what the hell ill try her anyway b-4 i hook up something else

well let me tell you friends i am at a crossroads now,,,,, i have been a big beleiver in the newer tables with no suspension etc...

i played the 3 albums i always use to judge any new item in my chain and i just heard things ive never heard b-4 pink floyd wish you were here i heard more guitar detail than ever b-4 and i actually was able to pick out more notes being played the guitar just seemed to hang there in the air longer, at the intro of high hopes you get to hear nature birds and bees as well as a church bell etc... well that little bee stayed around longer than ever b-4 and again the guitar just seemed to hang out there longer and more detailed than ever b-4, next i played daark side of the moon mfsl copy, and again improved detail, next was a good copy of dire straits making movies (i love the drum's on this album) and they did not disappoint tonight cymbol strikes gave that wood hitting metal ping that gets lost at times and the detail was brought back between the differant drum strikes, i also heard what i will call alot more detail in the guitar here and i discovered an acoustic playing along at times on making movies that i had never heard b-4

so now im left scratching my head where did all this detail come from table, cartridge, or arm i dont know but this is going to be a combo that will be very hard to beat in my opinion, it definately tops all tt and arm and carts i have had in the past,

the only issues i have are finding the source of a hum/buzzing (when i switch the pre from cd to tt it starts) i beleive the table is to close to the amps, aand with the suspended table and springy floors dont mix all that well so i need to brace the floors or i need to build a wal shelf

Joe

Joe,

All these high-end tables you've been buying and you never upgraded your Cartridge (am I correct?). Haven't you used that $100 Denon with ALL of your tables? It's a bargain cart for the money but will never do what a higher end cart will. Even the Grado is probably a huge step up. If you used a really good cart on your TNT, you probably would have been amazed. Please correct me if I'm wrong but that's what I remember.

Joe,

All these high-end tables you've been buying and you never upgraded your Cartridge (am I correct?). Haven't you used that $100 Denon with ALL of your tables? It's a bargain cart for the money but will never do what a higher end cart will. Even the Grado is probably a huge step up. If you used a really good cart on your TNT, you probably would have been amazed. Please correct me if I'm wrong but that's what I remember.

yes i used a denon quite a while but i did upgrade my cartridge on the tnt to a lyra beta, and it was a significant step up but it doesnt come close to this change

Joe

Joe

I am so glad that the Sonata is working out! It's great that something that was just sitting on my shelf is making someone so happy! If you can pull yourself away from the Sonata I would be curious as to a comparison to the Denon.

Josh

"i [...] went to a web site that calculates freq. response for arm and cart combos and they suggest 10 to 14 is a range you want to be in, but you can narrow that down to between 9 and 11 if you are a finiky type"

Would you mind giving the url for this web cite?

"so now im left scratching my head where did all this detail come from table, cartridge, or arm i dont know but this is going to be a combo that will be very hard to beat in my opinion, it definately tops all tt and arm and carts i have had in the past"

Although some may disagree, I'm a great believer in synergy.

Glad to hear your gear found the groove. As a life long Bang & Olufsen tt user, I have always thought the quality of the cartridge sets the upper limit quality level available for each down stream component; preamp, amps, speakers, room, and my head. I have a collection of expensive B&O cartridges and they each have their own personality and provoke a subtle difference in performance from my system.