Cornwall Crossovers

philtubes

Hey all, I recently got a pair of CW's, they sound very good but they still have the original caps in the crossover. The speakers are 38 years old, my question is should I replace the crossovers or would replacing just the 2 and 4 microfarad caps bring them up to snuff? If replacing the caps will work, is there a paticular brand that is known to work in the CW's. Also, is it worthwile to replace the tweeters, I understand Bob Crites offers replacements. Thanks in advance.

Phill

Replacing caps: good idea!

Replacing tweeters (assuming they are up to snuff): VERY bad idea!!

This is my opinion and I have vast experience messing around with 1964 Cornwalls which I have owned for over 25 years. I have ALK crossovers with Jensen PIO caps. I also have a set of originals with more garden variety oil caps. Whatever you decide, it's a good idea to update the crossovers.

I tried the Crites tweets--they were shrill and piercing to my ears and did not intergrate well with the other drivers. Stick with the T-35s--you probably have nice alnico ones--if they're blown you'd be better off rebuilding yours than going with the Crites tweeters.

Again, this is only my opinion . . .

I went down the same tweeter road with my 64 K-Horns and Alks and it was piercing as well.
Think I sent them to Joe Sportster for some trade bait on LP's or something and he liked them?
Finally ended up with Dean G caps, my original tweets and I am done. No taps to figure out, etc.
In my room, with my amps, (Mac 30's) whatever. It just worked out.

Hi Pete -- you may not remember, but I wanted to remind you that the network(s) you're running right were specifically designed to work with Bob's tweeter(s). The crossover point between the squawker and tweeter is dropped from 6kHz to 4.5kHz, and that crossover point is too low for the K-77. Please watch your power levels! A complete explanation can be found in my audiogon ad: http://cls.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cls.pl?spkrfull&1187471218

Hi Pete -- you may not remember, but I wanted to remind you that the network(s) you're running right were specifically designed to work with Bob's tweeter(s). The crossover point between the squawker and tweeter is dropped from 6kHz to 4.5kHz, and that crossover point is too low for the K-77. Please watch your power levels! A complete explanation can be found in my audiogon ad: http://cls.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cls.pl?spkrfull&1187471218

Dean, I'm using the CT125's with your Networks. Sounds great with my Lp's but a bit shrill with CD's.Not unbearable with Cd's,but different. Just getting into CD's so maybe it's me.Should I be worried?

Larry

Hi Larry -- you're using Cornwall ALKs. The tweeter filter is the same as the ALK -- a straight-up Butterworth alignment. Some say it's too hot, some say it's just right -- it really does come down to simple preference. I've given up trying to predict what a person will like based on setup and room, because actual hearing is a factor too, and everyone hears differently. As for the tweeters, reports are all over the map. Some say the K-77-M and CTS-125 sound similar, some say the CTS-125 has "better" highs, and some say it don't. Some say it's too loud, some say it's not loud enough, and some say it's just right -- it's nuts really. I do think the K-77 has better off-axis response then the CTS-125, and if you're staight-on with the thing and you're driving the speakers up -- it can be a bit in your face depending on source material. Overall though, I much prefer it to the K-77, which puts a rasp in the sound that gets on my nerves. When I had the CTS-125's in my system, they sounded clean and open, and though a little tipped up -- I never heard the "shrillness" that some report. A possible answer is some varience in sensitivity between production runs (raw driver from Eminence), but I think Bob might disagree. I guess all I really have to say about it all is that if you are using them, have had them in the system for a while and like them -- don't waste energy getting worked up over the fact that someone else doesn't.

Oooops! Seems to be fine with my K77M tweets? I dont think I ever tried your V caps with the Bob C. tweeters.

post-14158-1381933496107_thumb.jpg

Pete, that tweeter is a K-77-V (alnico round magnet). I guess you don't remember. You bought Bob's tweeters and were running them with ALKs. You sent me an email about the time I started my v-cap builds, and I suggested the network Bob worked up to be run with his tweeters. I have this old email from you, does it help any?

----- Original Message ----
To: dgwescott@sbcglobal.net
Sent: Wednesday, July 12, 2006 11:51:15 AM
Subject: Crossovers

Hi Dean,

The crossovers arrived a couple of days ago in perfect condition. They look much more impressive in person, nice job.

So I reinstalled the Bob Crites tweeters (my originals were the K77 round magnet) and hooked up your crossovers.

This what I think IM hearing. All vocals sound much more natural, like real people are actually in the room, smoother. The Bob C. tweeters are no longer harsh at all. Is this what you were going for in your design or am I simply hearing an improvement because I spent a little money?

Thanks, Pete

My brother wrote that, wait, I dont have a brother.

Its all coming back to me now. At the time I was going through a lot of preamp changes as well.
I believe I was running a C22 at the time, jumped to a CJ, an Audio Research and then a Blueberry.
Whatever happend in the front end mix, I finally settled on the old tweeters.

O.K., that's cool, just be careful -- that crossover point is unloading a lot of energy into those old tweeters. If you're prone to driving the levels up, you might want to consider having me change those back to a 6kHz crossover point.