QUESTION ON VINTAGE JBL, SHOULD I BUY?

evIL

Hello!

Its been a while since ive checked in over here at the world's greatest forum.
Today, in my travels, I ran across a pair of JBL C36 Speakers that appear and sound to be in excellent condition. They are asking $175, would you go for this? I am tempted, however...There is no way to get inside the cabs without destroying the lovely grills, at least. Thanks for reading, I anxiously await responses.

Josh 

Haha!

I know it's blasphemous, but they are an older pair and i thought some of you older fellas might have a worthy opinion of these...i they are from the 1950s-60s. If they were Klipschs they would be here already :)

If memory serves, the C36, as with most JBL speakers of the day, could be had with various driver options for the various cabinets. I believe the typical complement for the C36 was a model 075 "bullet" tweeter and a model D131 12" woofer. I don't remember which crossover, maybe an N2400? As with most vintage speakers, condition and originality are the keys to value. If they have the original tweeters and they work properly, they are certainly worth the asking price alone. The D131's would have cloth surrounds and Alnico magnets. Not much low end punch. A more modern JBL 12 incher, crossed over properly, would provide better low end. Oh, I don't consider myself an "older fella" but I do like vintage speakers, as long as they are Klipsch, JBL, Altec, Jensen, EV, Rectilinear, Bozak, Tannoy and the like.

Hope this helps a little.

Mark

They should be from the '60s, and contain D-130 woofers (15 in) and 077 slot tweeters. If you don;'t buy them you are crazy.

Bruce

edit: I have been looking them up, and also finding them with the 075 tweeter.

Bruce, Mark, and Harry,

I will do my best to get these tomorrow and photograph and send my findings if you like. I greatly appreciate your knowledgable replies. Now, of course, the question is do i keep them and replace a current pair or part them out or sell them whole? Im not replacing my Klipsch Fortes...absolutley out of the question, but my secondary and bedroom system are set up with Electro Voice Essquires and Spica TC-50s. I guess im in for a day of AB-ing if things go well. 

Why choose? I've ended up keeping a lot of vintage speakers. In my bedroom system #2 I've got Altec Valencias and a pair of vintage Jensen Gold Triaxials that rival an old pair of my favorite Altec 804bs. Can't have too many quality speakers. Besides, the value on good speakers is increasing.

Harry

Bruce, Mark, and Harry,

I will do my best to get these tomorrow and photograph and send my findings if you like. I greatly appreciate your knowledgable replies. Now, of course, the question is do i keep them and replace a current pair or part them out or sell them whole? Im not replacing my Klipsch Fortes...absolutley out of the question, but my secondary and bedroom system are set up with Electro Voice Essquires and Spica TC-50s. I guess im in for a day of AB-ing if things go well.

Good call on The Forte's, probably my favorite "real world" size speaker! I use Forte I's in my main system and don't have any plans to change that. I may be in the minority but I prefer the I over the II's. The tractrix horn was just too forward sounding and upper mid-range became more harsh than the exponential horn IMHO. I even had CM's crossovers and still thought the upper mids were not as smooth and warm as the stock Forte I. If I had room for Cornwall II's or maybe III"s, that would be my choice but, alas, too big.

Are you a C36 owner yet?

Good luck with your decision!

Well, i stopped by on the way home to take another look, now armed with your worthy advice. They are being held for me and i will probably have them next week after rent is paid. I looked at the back again and it says "energizing transducer" which someone told me is just a fanct word for horn tweeter. I also think I will be able to open these without destroying them. Thanks again and i will keep you all posted.

The original Fortes ARE better in my opinion...I wouldnt pass up either but my dad has the II's and I think the bass is a little rounder and less punchy, does that make sense?

"The original Fortes ARE better in my opinion...I wouldnt pass up either but my dad has the II's and I think the bass is a little rounder and less punchy, does that make sense?"

Somewhat. The rear passives are placement critical. The 2s to me were a bit smoother and larger sounding but only after placing both the 1 and 2 in the same area could I tell a lot of difference. The 1s did sound a bit tighter to me but both have a place in my stable also.

Harry

I have not experienced a more well rounded performer than the Fortes. The Spica's image better but would never survive in my main system. I just wish I had some tube gear to hear these JBLs properly. A good friend of mine said they would almost be a good purchase for the legs alone! I have to take another look at them, I was excited to find that Herman Miller actually made legs for some JBLs.

HarryO: I'm not intending to hijack this JBL thread but I have a question concerning Forte Placement, which is why I was looking around this forum.

I've had my 1989 Fortes for about 6 weeks now and am loving them. My listening room is small, 12' x 12' with a tapered 9' ceiling. I keep moving them around, toeing in and out, moving them closer and further from the back wall. They cannot be moved further from the side walls.

any ideas where they would sound best?

thanks,

Rick

HarryO: I'm not intending to hijack this JBL thread but I have a question concerning Forte Placement, which is why I was looking around this forum.

I've had my 1989 Fortes for about 6 weeks now and am loving them. My listening room is small, 12' x 12' with a tapered 9' ceiling. I keep moving them around, toeing in and out, moving them closer and further from the back wall. They cannot be moved further from the side walls.

any ideas where they would sound best?

thanks,

Rick

If you don't mind the added bass boost from the boundary 'room gain' - toed in in the corners.

I'm not familiar with the C36, but having JBL 4311's for over 30 years, I say buy them! If they don't need any repair, any large JBL pair is worth $175. My 4311's (4 of them) ruled for years until I replaced them with Klipsch Fortes about 6 weeks ago. The Fortes are much better, musically. But I think both JBL and Klipsch make fabulous speakers. 4311's are not the best JBL speaker by any means, nor are Fortes Klipschs' best.

Rick

Well, i stopped by on the way home to take another look, now armed with your worthy advice. They are being held for me and i will probably have them next week after rent is paid. I looked at the back again and it says "energizing transducer" which someone told me is just a fanct word for horn tweeter. I also think I will be able to open these without destroying them. Thanks again and i will keep you all posted.

The original Fortes ARE better in my opinion...I wouldnt pass up either but my dad has the II's and I think the bass is a little rounder and less punchy, does that make sense?

http://www.audioheritage.org/html/people/wolf/consultancy.htm

Here is some brief info on the Energizer concept from the Lansing Heritage site.

"any ideas where they would sound best?"

My house!!

Corners were a problem for me. I only had the option of one corner. I've got a very "unbalanced" room. I actually traded my Forte II to Colter for a pair of Cornwalls because of my corner limitations. Loved the sound of the speakers. I had the 1s, traded them for the 2s hoping they might work out. No go. Forward firing only in the "cracker box". The Cornwalls are too big for my room and I had to "build to suit tennant"

Harry

ALRIGHT! THEY ARE IN THE HOUSE.

I HAVEN'T EVEN EATEN YET.
I will just get right down to brass tacks here and tell you what kinda nut is in these shells. JBL LE14A Woofers and surprisingly LE20 Tweeters...no horns! The crossover is the LX8. Okay, now I either still have you or I've lost ya. Here's the nice little surpise...these C36s sit atop genuine Herman Miller legs. Im off to eat now [stomach growls]. I DID take photos so I will post some if you are curious.