Need Help Identifying La Scala crossover type and hookup

Hey to all you Klipschophiles

I recently got a set of La Scala's off ebay. I would like to ask your help.

I attached a picture of the crossover. I am wondering which is the "+" "-" on the terminal strip?

Also, if your feelin really helpful (or totally bored) can u tell me which model/type of crossover this is? and maybe an estimation of what the vintage of these speakers are?

Hopin to get em runnin this weekend. Woohoooo..................

Thanks for any input

the cap'N

post-27239-13819338577074_thumb.jpg

Those crossovers are Type AL, the worst, used from 1982 until 1990-ish.

I
tossed mine; you should. Type AL-3 or AL-4 will sound much
better. Your serial number will be stamped in the plys of the
plywood around the opening for the crossover, if it is stamped at
all. In the late 80s Klipsch quit stamping the numbers

cap'n chucko

here is a drawing by BEC

those xovers are fine if you are a high volume player...

What would High Volume have to do with the use of the AL, SF?

And yes, that is an AL. It, the AL2 and the AL3 were designed for use with the K55M as pictured.

M

It looks like MDF but it think it is plywood.

Another person will stop by If you can't find the serial number. Someone that owns la scalas - I don't, but I "figured" the number ought to be stamped in just like on all my other big old Klipsch. On mine is on the left side, which would be directly UNDER where your network is. THere should be four phillips head screws holding the networks down, if you want to check to see.

On LS, the S/N is frequently stamped on the upper edge of the main back panel, it should be visible when looking into the back of the high horn opening. Check there.

Those look like AL crossovers. I also recently bought a pair of used La Scalas with the exact same crossovers. I was unimpressed with the sound, so, on recommendations from others in this forum, I replaced the AL crossovers with a new set of Bob Crites AA crossovers. The sound quality improved DRAMATICALLY. The sound improved probably because (1) the ~20 year old capacitors in the ALs had lost their proper function, and (2) because the A and AA model crossovers are better designs for hi-fi listening while AL crossovers are better suited for high volume PA-type applications. I'd recommend you pick up a set of Crites' A or AA crossovers. He sells brand new units on eBay. People also rave about ALK crossovers, but these cost a little more than I wanted to spend.

"The sound improved probably because (1) the ~20 year old capacitors in the ALs had lost their proper function, and (2) because the A and AA model crossovers are better designs for hi-fi listening while AL crossovers are better suited for high volume PA-type applications."

I would agree with both aspects of that statement.

• 4 years later...