RT12D/KW120/Sunfire Signature

darkraver

Well I could have gotten those KW120 subs really for a decent price but I was not fast enough.

I can get 2 "B stock " KW120's now + needed AMP, however they are quite big.....

If you would compare RT12D vs the Sunfire True Signature would the Klipsch blow it away and outperform it ?

Are the KW120's much better than the RT12D ?

Well I could have gotten those KW120 subs really for a decent price but I was not fast enough.

I can get 2 "B stock " KW120's now + needed AMP, however they are quite big.....

If you would compare RT12D vs the Sunfire True Signature would the Klipsch blow it away and outperform it ?

Are the KW120's much better than the RT12D ?

I'm sorry, I said AMP, when I meant sub. in my last post. I can't say about the Sunfire sub personally, though, I've recently heard two differing opinions. One was that the Sunfire is really good, especially for its size. The other was that it has some motor noise when its really being driven. The RT12D makes sence to me, it has two passive radiators which increases the surface area of the driver, and size does matter, so in effect it's nearly like having three 12" subs in one small package, Plus it has PLENTY of amp power, and the room correction software is a no brainer to me.

Well I do have faith in the 2x KW120 package.

RT12D vs Sunfire Signature EQ however keeps interesting for me cause both have auto EQ.

Besides that the Sunfire sure is small, but you are right small often is a compromise !

Had hoped anyone would have tested the RT12D vs the Sunfire Signature......... or an online test or whatever.

The Klipsch THX subs are killers. Just add a Velodyne SMS-1 for EQ and you will surpass the RT-12d. The advantage of the RT-12d is that it hides well in a corner and does not use much space. Pick your poison based upon YOUR room, WAF, and personal taste.

Bill

I've spent a lot of time listening to the KW120 and RT-12d subs in the same room. I'll take the RT-12d any day. The biggest difference? Port noise. The RT-12d has none (cause there's no port) and the KW120's have plenty of port noise at high spl. The KW120's don't go any lower than the RT. They might be louder but if much of that output is port noise who wants it?

Anyone that heard the comparison I heard would pick the RT-12d. In fact a KW120 owner who thought they were invincable was sorry to find the RT was superior but had to admit it. I bet he's made the switch by now, I'll have to check with him.

The Klipsch room correction is superior to that of the Velodyne as well. Klipsch should have taken the opportunity to demo them side-by-side at the pilgrimage. I've seen it and you can easily tell the mistake Velodyne is making once you see them run side-by-side (you have to have the Klipsch PC software to see and compare the graphs of in-room response).

The Velodyne SMS-1 does require hand tweaking, but a PC is not required. Flat room response is flat regardless of the name of the manufacturer. You can see the results of the Velodyne on your HT display device in real time and watch the results as you tweak. I have flat response on two RSW subs with a Velodyne.

As far as port noise goes, when it is "audible" on the THX subs, the SPL is so high that it is generally hidden. It is a trade-off, port noise vs. tuning point issues from the passive radiators.

It's like I originally stated, the RT-12d requires a corner for best results while the THX subs are more flexible for placement.

Bill

I've spent a lot of time listening to the KW120 and RT-12d subs in the same room. I'll take the RT-12d any day. The biggest difference? Port noise. The RT-12d has none (cause there's no port) and the KW120's have plenty of port noise at high spl. The KW120's don't go any lower than the RT. They might be louder but if much of that output is port noise who wants it?

Anyone that heard the comparison I heard would pick the RT-12d. In fact a KW120 owner who thought they were invincable was sorry to find the RT was superior but had to admit it. I bet he's made the switch by now, I'll have to check with him.

The Klipsch room correction is superior to that of the Velodyne as well. Klipsch should have taken the opportunity to demo them side-by-side at the pilgrimage. I've seen it and you can easily tell the mistake Velodyne is making once you see them run side-by-side (you have to have the Klipsch PC software to see and compare the graphs of in-room response).

the kw120 can go much deeper and louder. I do not know your setup but how hot are you listening to the kw120?

jay.. You heard the subs at my house.... Bottom out?? Port Noise?? Is he confused...? The THX 120 subs with theTHX KA 1000 amp I also employ the SMS unit from velodyne OMG WONDERFUL!!

I think someone has either the knob to hot and is too deaf or placement terrible or combination? or something? Bottom out, I think its capable of that but its like whining that a corvette runs out of steam at 186 mph? sorry buddy it can't keep going......but I am not complaining. My ears would if I tried to bottom it out? Port noise, I guess but at sane levels or even some insane levels (looks at Indy Klipsch Fan's way now) or colter's I did not hear it at we must have been average 110 db, 120's peak spl? I did not really notice. I am sure its there but again non bothersome, heck at colter's dtel and I thought we somehow triggered the a/c unit when the low 16 hertz were thumping.the subs sitting slightly to the left of mid center about a good 8 feet away...!!! yeah that does mean the port is underported and I remember someone said yes it is capable of having air velocity at 50 m/s but again at the spl, I did not hear any obscene or even medium port noise. I think this person is thinking the ksw?

Don't know who said they do, or may, bottom out but it is uncommon. Klipsch designs the drivers so it's unlikely; then the distortion limiters in the amp will keep it from happening.

The RT subs don't have to be put in a corner but any sub's output will be greater if you do. Not sure why some people assume the RT are like Klipschorns that must be placed in a corner (and I'm not implying that you think that necessarily but some people do). The shape was just a cool and different design asthetic.

Not every manufacturer's room EQ is created equal. In fact some aren't good at all, some are good but can be tricked and some are very good. The Velo is not the most accurate on the planet. In the next year several more brands will be offering room EQ based on a platform from a third party. I've played with it too and it's not the best. If you think your's is EQ'd flat, check it with a real piece of test equipment and you may well find it is not that flat.

Everyone has different tastes and requirements and having listened to the two systems side by side I will still take the RT. In fact, in my theater I use an RT stacked on an RSW-15. The RSW gets it's signal from the low-level output of the RT and the room correction was run for both subs.

I've never noticed that number of posts has ever been directly related to knowledge on a subject.

I stated that my prefernce was just that, my preference. If I stated a fact, like all auto room-EQ's are not created equal, or that an RT isn't required to be placed in a corner, then it's a fact.

Not trying to be difficult but also don't want to be dismissed on a subject I might know a little someting about.