Marantz and Cornwalls

randyd3

I personally like the sound of most vintage solid state on my Cornwalls. Especially Pioneer and Marantz. I used to have a Marantz 2245 and liked it. It provided a solid bottom end with my 76 Corns. I also really love my Pioneer SX-650. It's a little 35 watt powerhouse the just rocks my 88 Cornwall II's. I don't think you can go wrong with a vintage Marantz, they sound great and hold their value well. Good luck in your quest.

Jeremy

Anyone know how a vintage Marantz 2200 or 2300 series would sound on cornwalls? thanks

My comments may be of less usefulness, but my Marantz SM17SA amp is the warmest, most tube-like SS amp I've heard. It sounds a lot like KT88 or EL34 tubes, actually. I plan to use it with my H3 (on order), and the H3 uses the same horns as the CW3. I've heard much bright SS amps compared to the Marantz, so it should work some magic. Now if you had one of those old Marantz 10B tubed FM tuners!

No doubt a classic Marantz 8B or a pair of Marantz 2 monoblocks would be the cream of the crop as far as Marantz tube amps are concerned driving Klipsch horn speakers. I've never heard them with Cornwalls, but there are Marantz tube amp owners on this forum who swear by their mating. I can only imagine from reading posts from those who own vintage Marantz SS amps and receivers that they too sound just as good with their Klipsch loudspeakers. I may soon get a chance to find out first hand myself how good a Marantz receiver sounds with my dad's '79 Cornwalls my one brother is using on his system...my other bro just won an eBay auction on a mint late '70s Marantz Model 2226 solid-state receiver. It's 26 WPC which is more than enough power to drive the Cornwalls at high levels, so he might try it out on the Cornwalls once he receives it. Hell, I might give his 2226 a shot driving my Reference RB-75 monitors; if I like the sound, it'd be a good excuse for me to buy a classic Marantz SS receiver to give my SET 300B amp a break (heh)![;)]

post-11084-13819338897414_thumb.jpg

I have a Marantz 2285B driving Cornwalls in my garage system and it sounds fine.
My Fisher 400 sounds better to me but the Marantz has 2 speaker outs.
Comes in handy for when I turn on the outdoor patio speakers.
A garage is not the most friendly environment for stereo gear but the Marantz has been a real workhorse.

I run Cornwalls with my Marantz 2235. The Cornwalls dig deep for bass - especially in a corner. The Marantz gives a 'warmer' sound that goes with the music I like - female voice - Celtic - classic rock. So I hope you enjoy your setup as much as I enjoy mine - Slainte. Hamish