Bought My First Klipsch

paully

I managed to get hold of a pair of Chorus II. Very happy to have them. Apparently the wire has been upgraded (I

will have to check that out) but the crossovers should be stock. Is it the opinion of the forum that the

actual crossover needs to be upgraded or can I simply sub in newer components

and leave the crossover circuit itself as is?

Does

anyone have a Klipsch crossover schematic that I can look at, or where to find one? The speakers wont be here for two weeks and

I have to order some parts for another project. Thought, depending on the advice I get here, that I might go

ahead and get the parts for the Chorus to avoid paying more for shipping if I

am simply going to sub new parts in.

Thanks!

That is a definite. Even if I am set on upgrading the components,

the capacitors at a bare minimum, I want to know what the changes will

have done so I do need to listen first. I am just not sure if

people have taken out the stock crossovers and simply replaced the

components or are they buying completely new crossovers like they seem

to be doing for the La Scalas and Khorns.

• Moderators

Paully,

Congrats on the Chorus II. Take some time to listen to your speakers, you may find they are in perfect working order and you don't need to change out a thing. After a few listening sessions you will have a lot better idea. But....in the meantime I am sure some of these guys could help you out with the info you are looking for.

Again, congratulations.

As far as I know, my Chorus II's are stock. I have measured them in quite a few environments and have not come across anything that might hint at a need for a crossover change. My ears tell me the same, but that's kinda implied. I must confess that I have thought about modify things a bit just for the sake of experimenting, but it's kinda pointless when there really aren't any objective gains to be achieved. That's not to say that improvements aren't possible, just that there are much larger issues to be dealing with. Heck, you could move the speakers as much as a few inches in your room and yield more dramatic changes than any crossover change will make [:o]

Thanks. I read a lot before I bought these and it seemed that

these were a real sleeper. Everyone who has them, save for the

odd duck, thinks they are wonderful. Even if I get other Klisch

speakers (it seems very few have only one pair) it seemed like these

needed to be in the collection as the Cornwalls are just too big.

Can't wait to actually have them show up.

Interesting. I would have thought you would be keen to upgrade

the capacitors. I would think that, as the speaker was designed

in the 90's, that the crossovers ought to be pretty good as far as

design goes. But that maybe putting in some auricaps or such

would be worthwhile. I do agree, listen to them for a while and

then decide because they just might be really good anyway. I

guess I am just one of those designer cap kind of guys. Just

can't help tweaking sometimes. I will post back after I have had

some time to sit with them stock.

Congrats on the purchase.

I'm a big fan of the Quartet, Forte II, and Chorus II line. I have the first two but have never heard a Chorus II.

It seems to me there is no reason to rush into a rebuild.

Bob Crites, a forum member here, sells aftermarket parts. He is not affiliated with Klipsch, the company. But because of his business, he has a lot of experience with replacements and perhaps what is a situation of a cap going off specification because of age.

You might know that the old Heritage speakers used paper in oil caps. These are the metal can type. Some of the Heritage units out there are 50 years old. Those caps sometimes fail due to leakage of oil. A matter requiring replacement.

Bob reports that some of these caps also go off spec and develop internal electrical resistance. I'm taking no position on the extent of this problem.

But, the Q,FII, CII, series use more modern caps. And they are not nearly as old, of course. Therefore, they should remain in spec. Hence there is little reason to think your components are degraded.

I will point out that many people believe in upgrading and tweeking. It is part of the fun of the hobby.

Best,

Gil

I'm a big fan of the Quartet, Forte II, and Chorus II line. I have the first two but have never heard a Chorus II.

Look me up if you ever find yourself down in Champaign/Urbana. Maybe we can meet up some evening for a concert over at Foellinger?

But seriously, anyone is welcome to swing by for a visit.

I don't know the voltage rating on yours. Maybe if you take them apart the caps will be marked.

Here is the schematic for an RF7. It uses 100 volt caps. I'd say there is a good chance yours, and other Klipsch, are also 100 volt caps.

Best,

Gil

RF7.pdf