Tonearm and cart for a TD124?

Thanks to good guy forum member Maron I now have a 124.

Sheltie Dave hand delivered it last night, many thanks.

So now I need a tonearm and cart.

Any recommendations or perhaps someone is selling?

I would like to keep the total around $1000.

Not sure if that is realistic for something decent?

post-14158-13819338924544_thumb.jpg

I would get an Ortofon SMG-212 or SME 3009 (not the improved version) with Ortofon SPU cartridge. You might have to spend another $100-200 but in my opinion it's worth it.

EDIT: If you have an MC phonostage, another option is to get an SME 3012 with Denon DL103. This is within your budget.

Hi Pete,

For $500 you can get a SME 3009 (series I or II) and a DL-103, and it will kill on that table. That is the combination I run with my TD-124 and it never ceases to impress me.

For $500 more I would get the 12" 3012, and use the DL-103 until you can find a nice SPU to mate to it.

Mike

Looks like your armboard is all ready and waiting for the 3009. I guess we need to know if you have a phono input capable of handling low ouptut moving coil cartridges mentioned thus far. If you do, try one of the Denon 103 family of cartridges.

If you're looking for a moving maget cartridge, I've mentioned before, I've had very good luck with the Goldring 1042 on the SME 3009.

The 3012's all seem to be going for over $1000 these days. They aren't 3 times better than the 3009 in my opinion.

How's the speed on that beauty? Is it quiet? Looks great.

My Monolithic phono stage is very versatile and can be dialed in for just about any cart.
I am using a Dynavector MC 10x5 with my SOTA now.

Takes a few minutes to get up to speed, not really that long though. Maron forewarned me that the motor bearings could stand a cleaning. Im neck deep into that now. Doesn't look too bad to me but I admit I dont know what Im looking at? Nothing seems hardened, just a little dirty.
It runs super quiet.

post-14158-13819338928454_thumb.jpg

I would get an Ortofon SMG-212 or SME 3009 (not the improved version) with Ortofon SPU cartridge. You might have to spend another $100-200 but in my opinion it's worth it.

EDIT: If you have an MC phonostage, another option is to get an SME 3012 with Denon DL103. This is within your budget.

I sent Pete a couple A-goN links for used 3012's but I think it's out of Pete's budget at the moment.

My Monolithic phono stage is very versatile and can be dialed in for just about any cart.

I am using a Dynavector MC 10x5 with my SOTA now.

Takes a few minutes to get up to speed, not really that long though. Maron forewarned me that the motor bearings could stand a cleaning. Im neck deep into that now. Doesn't look too bad to me but I admit I dont know what Im looking at? Nothing seems hardened, just a little dirty.

It runs super quiet.

Wow, just dig right in! Good for you. Motor looks clean. Don't lose that ball bearing that is probably just sticking to motor shaft thanks to the old goo. Peak down in the bearing well that the shaft sits in. That's what you need to clean. Hopefully there is no huge "divet" worn into the thrust plate at the bottom. I doubt there will be, yours looks in great shape. Moran took good care. The bearing is sorrounded by felt pads that I assume was to "store" lubriacte and keep the beaing oiled.

When you put the motor back together, don't tighten those screws too tight. You'll lock up the motor. Too loose and the shaft will slide up and down, too tight and it won't rotate. You might want just a bit of up and down play but not much.

Thanks to good guy forum member Maron I now have a 124.

Sheltie Dave hand delivered it last night, many thanks.

So now I need a tonearm and cart.

Any recommendations or perhaps someone is selling?

I would like to keep the total around $1000.

Not sure if that is realistic for something decent?

We put together Gary's arm and cartrige for less than $1000 and that included a BRAND NEW Ortofon SPU. I think Gary paid $450 for the arm and we had to put about $100 into it--the SPU was about $400 from Mr, Juki (best prices on Ortofon SPU cartridges ANYwhere!).

If you have the $1000, get the SPU instead of the Denon. I too marvel at what the Denon can do for the money, but stepping up to even the entry level "GM" model SPU is quite a leap forward.

You could, of course, pop for a 12" SME (figure about $1000-$1200) and get the Denon and then step up to the SPU down the line--if you score a 3012, I have an extra armboard I'd be happy to send you . . .

Here is a brand new "R" model (from the late 80's/early 90's)--this is a GREAT version if you plan on using the SPU:

http://cgi.ebay.com/SME-3012-R-PICK-UP-ARMS_W0QQitemZ150139647870QQihZ005QQcategoryZ48649QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Or this one:

http://cgi.ebay.com/SME-3012-SERIES-2-BOXED-COMPLETE_W0QQitemZ140136177598QQihZ004QQcategoryZ48648QQrdZ1QQssPageNameZWD2VQQcmdZViewItem

Here's what looks to be a very nice 3009:

http://cgi.ebay.com/SME-3009-II-NOT-IMPROVED-METAL-BEARING_W0QQitemZ170129909030QQihZ007QQcategoryZ48648QQrdZ1QQssPageNameZWD2VQQcmdZViewItem

These arms were VERY popular and they're on ebay every day--you'll find a nice one!

Thanks everyone for the tips and generous offer Allan on the armboard.
Scott the bearing looks clean now. Wasn't that bad.
Gary, great looking rig. This one is more blue / gray?

Here is were I stand right now.

I gently heated the motor bearings (something I read) and some black gunk oozed out.
Cleaned them with a sturdy shot of automotive brake cleaner and repeated the process.
Oiled them with a Teflon lubricant called Tri-Flow. Great stuff but maybe not so great for vintage turntables?
Reassembled and it flies now. An unbelievable difference in coming up to speed.

I ordered new mushroom mounts, a belt, and new motor grommets from a guy named Mirko, Ebay dude.
Nice guy, spoke to him on the phone. He also makes custom plinths.

A 3009 and the SPU combo fits the budget right now for immediate gratification.
Perhaps a 3012 down the road?

I sent an e-mail off to Mr. Juki for the Ortofon.

Allan, the 3009 you posted, is that a pretty good price? I guess I wont have to worry about cables?
I like "Buy it Nows', no messing around.

Thanks again, Pete

Thanks everyone for the tips and generous offer Allan on the armboard.

Scott the bearing looks clean now. Wasn't that bad.

Gary, great looking rig. This one is more blue / gray?

Here is were I stand right now.

I gently heated the motor bearings (something I read) and some black gunk oozed out.

Cleaned them with a sturdy shot of automotive brake cleaner and repeated the process.

Oiled them with a Teflon lubricant called Tri-Flow. Great stuff but maybe not so great for vintage turntables?

Reassembled and it flies now. An unbelievable difference in coming up to speed.

I ordered new mushroom mounts, a belt, and new motor grommets from a guy named Mirko, Ebay dude.

Nice guy, spoke to him on the phone. He also makes custom plinths.

A 3009 and the SPU combo fits the budget right now for immediate gratification.

Perhaps a 3012 down the road?

I sent an e-mail off to Mr. Juki for the Ortofon.

Allan, the 3009 you posted, is that a pretty good price? I guess I wont have to worry about cables?

I like "Buy it Nows', no messing around.

Thanks again, Pete

That 3009 looks overpriced at $500+ to me. It also doesn't have the extra rider weight which you'll need with the heavy SPU.

You also might want to invest in one the RCA conversion kits for the 3009. Sure has solved many a hum problem I have had with their original cables. You can always wait and see how your arm does first http://www.analogtubeaudio.de/index.php?article_id=131&clang=1 I wouldn't worry about bronze bearing stuff there.

Good move on the SPU. I agree with Allan, it's a good step up from the Denon I think. I of course had to splurge for the Silver Meister blowing my original budget but it is really, really good.