Question for Trey or Michael

6foot8

120dB @ 30Hz with 250W, corner loaded. I have to finish the internal bracing and find a worthy amplifier. Well actually, I'm out of money, or I'd just go buy a Crown. Then I can start on the second one.

Design criteria:
18" 884 driver -- check (Thanks, Roy. I DID pay for them though. But not much.)
Solid to 30Hz, with repectable performance to 25Hz -- check (tuned to 28Hz)
Fit two subs in the back of a Jeep Cherokee, back seat folded -- check (with an inch to spare)
It comes out to about 10.5-11 cubic feet, I can't remember, but since I now own a full size van it hardly matters.
Uses one sheet of plywood -- check (well almost, I had to use scrap for the port and bracing)

Hey JC...thanks for the kind words. I'm not a big cyberspace forum fan, like face to face interaction better. I try and keep my opinions to myself as I have learned that it really dosen't matter what other's think as long as you are content with where you are at.

I do have my 1133s XO'd at 400. I will float an observation out here that will no doubt attract some controversy but again it is just my opinion. I have tried to XO the mid\highs on my Jubs closer to the customary Heritage 4.5-5 kHz range in an attempt to minimize any distortions and unwanted irregularities in the voice range. This was really unsucessful though as the 1133s loaded in the 402s tend to become to beamy and harsh (again this is just my opinion guys) in the 3-3.5 kHz range and required way too my EQ to get a comfortable and natural sound. I am in no way making any criticisms here as I love my system and would never have anything else (unless I lost my hearing). I think (and I could be wrong here as I have no knowledge of Roy's design philosophy or intentions) the recomended XO point at 3 kHz using a 24 dB\Oct L-R algorithm almost eliminates this beaminess and uncomfortable sensations in that 3-3.5 kHz area. This is why I prefer the 3 way set up. It is my opinion that the 1133 loaded in the 402 horn sound better XO'd at 3 kHz than a 2-way set up using the same components where the 1133 runs out to 17kHz with no EQ in that 3.5 kHz area. Just an opinion folks but I have kept that to myself because it will surley raise a few eybrows anyway.

I have completed an extensive redesign of my room with generous amounts of acoustical treatment courtesy of ATS acoustics (no foam here all custom mineral wool designer panels), placement of Jubs on the long wall and 2 years of experimenting. Everyone who listens to this setup without exception prefers the lower XO point with very little EQ to the higher XO point with much more EQ.

The KPT 884 added a dimension to the quality and presentation of the sound that almost can not be explained with words...it must be heard and felt to appreciate.

Oh well sorry for rambling and hope that my input does not step on any toes just how it sounds to me...

The KPT 884 added a dimension to the quality and presentation of the sound that almost can not be explained with words...it must be heard and felt to appreciate.

100% agree

Andy you do very nice cabinet work...I wish I had those skills!

6foot8

Thanks. That is very helpful.

Two questions if you don't mind:

Are you tri amping and using the 2 of the EV Dx38?

Why did you choose the KPT-884 over the KPT-684? Do you have just one? I was concerned of the SPL mismatch using the 884. You may have some info that I didn't think of or know.

It's all about what you are hearing in your room. Don't worry about BBS nazi's. You have an awesome setup.

jc

Hey JC...I chose the 884 because unless I am misinformed it digs lowest of all the cinema subs. I have only one (at the moment) and am using 2 DBX crossovers that I already had. I would love to switch to the EVs but will need to save a little before sprinning for a pair of those.

BTW one of my best friends graduated from West Georgia College way back in the 80's before it became part of the state university system.

Andy you do very nice cabinet work...I wish I had those skills!

There's are reason I don't take close up shots... It'll look better when I send it to Hope to get the black crinkle finish on it (yeah, right! that's a shipping bill I'm definitely too cheap for).

100% agree

I not only agree, I have a similar setup for my Khorns. With two 15's, two 12's, two passive 15's and 2 ports, my VMPS subs with 400 watts of power really fill out the missing low end of my Khorns, yet there is no sacrifice in transient response, etc. since they cross at 60hz lowpadss and I run the Khorns full out (they roll at 60hz, although most wouldn't admit it).

Your 3-way Jubs with subs have got to be the best of the best IMHO. I'm sure PWK is smiling down on that setup for sure.

Thanks for the kind words Claude. I have been a huge fan of PWK and his speakers ever since I was a young kid. I have never heard anything else that creates such a moving experience and emotional impact as does Paul's designs.

Hey JC...I chose the 884 because unless I am misinformed it digs lowest of all the cinema subs. I have only one (at the moment) and am using 2 DBX crossovers that I already had. I would love to switch to the EVs but will need to save a little before sprinning for a pair of those.

BTW one of my best friends graduated from West Georgia College way back in the 80's before it became part of the state university system.

Which DBX models are you using? I'm investigating the DBX260 as possible alternative to the DX38. Saves some $$