Help! I Screwed Up My Tweeter Trying To Fix It

fini

Well, it's confession time. Months after getting my Cornwalls, I decided today to go ahead and replace the diaphragms, which I deduced was the problem with no sound commin' out of the tweets. I printed out a copy of a helpful thread (http://216.37.9.58/ubb/Forum6/HTML/000471.html), and was on my way. I took the four screws out, and took the horn off. Wasn't sure how to get into the diaphragm (stuff didn't just come apart). My best guess (wrong) was to pry off the metal screen. Oops. Figured out what I needed to pry off. Hopefully the tweeter isn't ruined. But wait---there's more...

I was careful. I pried off the paper gasket without bending or ripping it--YAY! I checked everything out, noting the orientations of parts, etc. I put it all back together, so the kids wouldn't knock everything akilter while I went over to my buddy Earl's house to borrow a soldering iron.

I got home and removed the screws, but the parts wouldn't come apart easily. It seems the diaphrapm (coil?) got caught in the magnet gap, and pulling it out not only destroyed the old diaphragm (no big deal), but also shifted the magnet (BIG deal, according to Klipschguy in above thread:"Also make sure you don't move the magnet in the center of the magnet assembly - if it moves, the tweeter is toast.").

I am really bummed. Can I fix the magnet probem? Should I admit defeat and bring everything in a zip-lock to a speaker repair shop? Am I kicked off the board?

Thanks, friends. fini

I take it as a consensus that this is now NOT a DIY project (at least for ME, with my big fingers and carpentry tools cwm42.gif). Still, I wonder what I did to mess it up. How is that disc held in place, anyway? Just magnetism?

fini

• 1 month later...

Well, the tweeters are fixed, installed in the Cornwalls and WORKING, FINALLY! I sent them off to Orange County Speaker along with the new diaphragms I had purchased from EV. After about a week, I called and they said they'd be fixed and ready to ship the next day. Whoopee! Next day, I get the good news/bad news call: The good news is that they were able to recenter the magnet and replace the diaphragm on the tweeter that I screwed with, The bad news was that the other diaphragm was defective, which they didn't detect until they had intalled it. They had no more diaphragms (on backorder for 2 months), so I had them send 'em home. O.K. $52 plus shipping, plus about $50 for the diaphragms. At least I had one good tweeter. I then contacted a local shop, A Brown Soun (http://www.abrown.com/), who could replace the diaphragms, and, by the way, could now recenter magnets! Because of their opinions of Orange County Speaker (Brown's guys weren't subtle), I decided to take both tweeters to them, and let them have a look. After a few days I got worse news: neither tweeter worked (I hadn't tested them before taking them to Brown), and both magnets were misaligned! ARGHH! Well, to these guys' credit, they were able to bring both k-77m's back to life, and for only $173 (!).

That's my story. Now to figure out what wire to use...

fini

Hello Fini,

Sorry to hear about your tweeter woes. You know, from the story you tell, it sounds like the pole pieces may have already been shifted when you first noticed your tweeters weren't working. A heavy jolt during shipping can cause this problem. Aligning pole pieces so they don't rub is a pain in the neck - as you know, and escalates the diaphragm replacement situation dramatically.

Glad to hear you finally got them straightened out. How do they sound?

Andy

Andy, You're probably right. If you care to read about my purchasing experience, here's the thread:http://216.37.9.58/ubb/Forum6/HTML/000488.html

Although my current set-up is, you might say, funky (Sansui 4000 receiver, JVC QL-A2 turntable, Panasonic walkman CD player, teeny whatever-was-lying-around speaker wire), they sound great! In the other room I've got the HT rig set up, of which I'm quite fond (Pioneer dvd, Yamaha cd, Denon AVR-3300 receiver, KSP-400 fronts, KSP-C6 center, KSF-S5 surrounds). One thing I notice is the Cornwalls are pretty bright (duh, they now have functioning tweeters). Of course I've read here about Cornwall tweaks, maybe I'll try some. Obviously upgrading the "front end" (and the middle, too) would be the first step. All in due time, though.

fini

Lordy, fini. With a 2 channel system like that, bright might be the order of the day, relating to Jack Nicholson's "chicken sandwich" order via "Five Easy Pieces."

Sansui SS receiver? Walkman? Zip cord wonder? You could easily improve the sound without even cracking the CW cabinet!

My advice is to put on Music to install Carpet by featuring The Cowsills (a little known release at the end of their career). This will expose system faults, mental health, wire safety, marriage strength, and inner stamina.

Stop messin' around, Fini.

kh

This message has been edited by mobile homeless on 01-27-2002 at 02:21 PM