anyone painted over RF Maple to match Black?

48n123w

It has nothing to do with loving maple (although I have maple VRD's and a maple BlueBerry Xtreme), but rather taking a perfectly good speaker and painting it black. You can sell the maples for more than you can buy the black ash pair. Then it's a win/win situation. But do what you gotta do...

Mike

Painting real wood or veneer is such a waste. Anyway if you painted it right you wouldn't match the black ash finishes anyway because maple has a lot less grain to it and the paint would cover it up anyway. Even if you carefully sanded them and stained them black the grain would still not match (but they'd be black). I'd really recommend against painting or re-staining them unless utterly necessary due to the fact that you're not a professional and you could possibly ruin your speaker's finish irrevocably.

You could always get some maple veneer and redo your other speakers. The iron on stuff is actually really easy to apply. It would be a lot of though because you would want to disassemble the speakers (ie: take everything out so you just have the enclosure) before you veneer, stain and/or varathane them. Here's a fitting link that shows some work in action http://www.dcchomes.com/Heresy.html. Nice too that they're Heresys too. I can't say I like his choice of veneer and maple wouldn't chip along the edges like he had happen. He's just an amateur and they still look fairly decent.