alan,or ?, thorens 124 ????????

Mine takes a couple of minutes. I turn the BBX and the Thorens on at the same time, and then a few minutes later I turn the VRD's on. I only wait about 10 minutes after that before I spin my first record in the morning. The TT speed, however, is dead nuts on within a few minutes.

Mike

ok that helps, how long have you had the 124 mike and used it in this state of speed taking time to stabalize, looking at 1 that takes less than 1 minute by the sellers discription to come to speed, pics look great has an original thorens arm on it but i would probably put my graham 1.5 on it (just thinking aloud for now

is 700 a good price for 1 with a so-so wood plinth a couple spare arm boards, level still works good and strobe works as well

Joe

I've had mine just over a year now, and it was rebuilt by someone who has rebuilt many.

I'm not real familiar with the Graham arm, but have heard good things about it. The SME arms (3009, 3012), however, go hand-in-hand with these tables. Depending on the condition of the table I think that's a pretty fair price. I paid $1500 for mine (which might be on the high side to some), but it came with a beautiful massive plinth (weighs 60 lbs), 2 armboards and a glass platter. I think these tables are real sleepers, and with the proper arm and cartridge can really make beautiful music.

I love mine, and have no plans to get rid of it. I am currently using a 3009 Series II with DL-103, and am going to put a 3012/SPU on the other armboard when I have the funds. I think if you pulled the trigger on this one you would be very satisfied for the money. Let me know if you end up with it.

Mike

hello all quick question on a 124, i have often seen them advertised as taking X amount of time to come up to speed and hold....................is less than 1 minute considered good?

thanks Joe

Less than a minute is good. Most of these slow starters out there could stand a motor re-build and they'd come up to speed within a minute I think. They always look ugly like this....

post-15692-1381933932592_thumb.jpg

Joe, after cleaning the motor on my recently acquired 124 it appears to come up to speed in about 10 seconds? Maron gave me a really nice deal on it but more importantly it is stone mint.

Im not sure if your initial $700 is going to be the worst of it.
My SPU cart just showed up yesterday.
I sent a deposit to a guy in CA who is building me a custom plinth out of African padauk. Who now doesn't answer my e-mails:)
I ordered new rubber mushrooms, a belt, and motor grommets.
Have had zero luck finding a metal bearing SME 3009 or the weights needed for the SPU.
I can see this ending up being a $2 grand investment by the time the smoke clears.
I sure hope it lives up to its reputation when done.

hey pete

i know what you mean by adding costs on them, the seller hasnt returned my emails since i last emailed him and he was e-mailing almost immediately to answer questions guess he is second guessing his advertised price, i checked selling prrices on the bay and 700 was a little on the low side for one in nice shape, oh well the hunt continues

Joe

Joe, there was a 124 plug and play on Agon about a month ago for $1300. SME, custom plinth, ready to go. Now I realize that was a great price.

Its kinda fun chasing all the hardware and putting it together myself.

Been learning a lot if nothing else.

Check out the SPU, "Man Jewelry."

post-14158-13819339333574_thumb.jpg

Flatearth is a great place to get all your SME 3009/3012 parts. They are all new, and are generally cheaper than used stuff on eBay.

BTW, Pete, I've got over $2k in mine (TT/arm/cart) and wouldn't trade it for anything else on the market for that price.

Mike

Gary which version of the SME do you have?

Pete,

I have a really old 3009 that Allan rebuilt for me.  It needed just a few parts but now looks and plays like new.  I also use a mono SPU, the one which you can still play stereo lps.

Thanks Gary,
I have read conflicting reports on exactly which version of the 3009 I should be chasing?
Stay away from the improved version, metal bearing, etc.?
A little confusing, I only want to do this once.

Gary which version of the SME do you have?

Pete,

I have a really old 3009 that Allan rebuilt for me. It needed just a few parts but now looks and plays like new. I also use a mono SPU, the one which you can still play stereo lps.

Thanks Gary,

I have read conflicting reports on exactly which version of the 3009 I should be chasing?

Stay away from the improved version, metal bearing, etc.?

A little confusing, I only want to do this once.

There should be no conflict. If you're going to use the SPU, do NOT buy an SME 3009 with the words "Improved" in the model number. Don't let the bearing material get in the way, they all "look" like metal so half the people selling these things probably couldn't give you a correct answer. Study these awesome pictures in the attached website and you'll be able to tell exactly what model you are seeing from even the worst ebay auction photos! People selling the arms often get the medel numbers mixed up adding to the confusion so study the pictures and you'll be just fine. Even the guy putting those photos together didn't exactly name the "Improved" model numbers correctly. Also pay attention to getting all the right counterweights. The little extra "rider" weight is often missing since it's only needed for heavy (like and SPU) cartridges. I'm not sure FlatEarth has these anymore. They were getting kind of scarce.

http://www.analogue-classics.com/html/sme_3009___3012.html

WIth an SPU, you can use an:

SME 3009 (often called version 1 or prototype but since it was the first version, technically it was just called SME 3009. These are rare, you won't see one very often)

SME 3009 Series II

SME 3009-R

With and SPU do not buy:

SME 3009 Series II Improved

SME 3009 S2/Improved (pretty much the same arm as above with fixed headshell)

SME 3009 III

As final note here, I think the Improved arms are very good. I use one with a Goldring MM cartridge and it sounds really good. Just can't use these arms with the SPU. They're a pretty decent buy now since everybody is looking for the "Non-Improved" versions.

Scott I have the old very rare 3009....Didnt know it was sought after...I need to get some of the heavier balance weights and a rubber isolation grommet from Flat Earth Audio...I think Ill do this monday....Like the TD 124 i sold to Pete ,Things just dont get done.. I guess it gets overwhelming with all the things I have in the fire....But I,m glad Pete enjoys the TD 124 and brought things up to good operating speed. I like old things (like me) Just getting up to speed gets harder.

Maron,

That's awesome, defintely keep that arm. It's a collectors item and a great tonearm to boot. The few I've seen for sale went for twice what the Series II go for.

Pete,

I know how you feel. As soon as you give up and "settle" for something different, they'll start popping up all over!