rectifier tube question

steve

I just bought a used tube..a Mullard 6X4 for my George Wright preamp. I just like Mullards for some reason..anyway, when I first power up the pre, this tube glows brightly for a second or two, then settles down and puts off the same light as the other 4 tubes. Is this normal, or am I asking for trouble? I've used it for about 8 hours now, and there's no noise of any kind.

Thanx

Steve

I just bought a used tube..a Mullard 6X4 for my George Wright preamp. I just like Mullards for some reason..anyway, when I first power up the pre, this tube glows brightly for a second or two, then settles down and puts off the same light as the other 4 tubes. Is this normal, or am I asking for trouble? I've used it for about 8 hours now, and there's no noise of any kind.

Thanx

Steve 

I thought the George Wright used 6X5? Which one do you have?

Sorry didn't check your profile. It is a 6X4 tube.

Wow the AG 1000 I have been drooling over that preamp. How do you like it? Does it sound different with that tube? If it sounds fine don't worry. If you still have questions email George he is really nice and helpful.

Seti

I absolutely LOVE this preamp. It had some problems when I first got it, turned out the selector switch was bad. I sent it to George, and he fixed it for me. Very nice guy to deal with. I replaced the Sovtek 6BM8 with a Mullard, and as noted, the GE 6X4 with the Mullard. I think it made a slight difference, smoother sound, but I could be imagining it. At any rate, after I got this preamp, I was able to take down the wall hanging behind my listening couch, because there was no harsh sound anymore. I had it up for the "glare" of the SS pre I was using.

IMHO, this is a great preamp!

Regards,

Steve