La Scalas help please

Kiwi Boy

Hi everybody

I put an ad in the local paper wanting old speakers and a guy answered, he was leaving the country and couldn't store his speakers. All i knew about Klipsch was that they were famous. I went listened to them for about 2 seconds and arrived home with them and a Huge old KT88 valve power amp.

I would appreciate some help identifying how old they are if possible. They have AA crossovers and the back label states they are LS-BR models.

Any advice hugely appreciated?

post-27591-1381933958418_thumb.jpg

On the back, either on paper, or engraved, there should be a number. If you post that number, then some of the members here should be able to tell you how old the age of your birch LaScallas.

Make sure you asked the seller when the amp was last serviced, some of the caps and/or tubes could need replacing. If the amp is okay, listen to the speakers and then they probably could use a capacitor replacement in the crossovers. You will like the sound, tubes and Klipsch go very well together. Just remember that LaScallas only go down to 50 Hz, so depending on how much bass you want, a sub might help round out the bottom end. The treble and mids will sound awesome.

Welcome. Your La Scalas look great.

Use the search function to uncover many threads regarding the serial numbers, AA crossovers, etc. pertaing to La Scalas.

After you enjoy them for awhile, I suggest that, at a minimum, you replace the old capacitors in the corssovers. The path of least resistance is to contact BEC on this forum for the updated parts.

Some information on crossovers: my guess is one of the speakers is P - 1976, not sure about the other one.

KLIPSCH S/N FORMATS

DATES DISCRIPTION EXAMPLE

1946-1947 ### (001) ending #021

1948-1961 #### (0121) starting #0121
Klipschorns of this vintage had the s/n hammer stamped into the tailboard, woofer access door or inside the woofer chamber.

1962-1983 ##letter#### (20Y1234)

1984-1989(?) YY WW #### (89281234)

1990-1997(?) DOY Y2Y1 #### (135791234)

1998-2000 YY WW #### (00281234)

1962-1983 Letter format

A=62 F=67 K=72 R=77 X=82
B=63 G=68 L=73 S=78 Y=83
C=64 H=69 M=74 T=79
D=65 I=70 N=75 U=80
E=66 J=71 P=76 W=81

1946-1961 dates can only be found in log book (eng. Library)

DOY= day of the year
YY=year (i.e. 99,00)
Y2Y1=2nd digit of year, 1st digit of year
WW=week of the year

Date code on drivers (1994) Example 9429 = 1994, 29th week of the year / YYWW

The serial number listings are above. As I have encounted on a couple of occasions, that 185607 serial number is probably actually 18S607. These speakers were most likely made a couple of years apart but still close enough that they have same crossovers and drivers.

Welcome to the fun, you'll be glad you joined. I know I AM.

KAK

Sounds like you have a 1976 and a 1978. They're likely pretty well identical. The one in the photo looks sort of shiny for Birch Raw, so I'm guessing maybe they had some sort of treatment done (varnish, lacquer?), but it looks really good. How do they sound?

BTW, the serial numbers may be stamped into the top of the back panel, on the edge.