cornwall II woofer removal

jimdetroit

You said you need to replace a tweeter? The horns come out separate. No woofer removal needed.

When I opened one of my 1986 cornwall II's I took out the horns and the woofer to get a look inside and to study the crossover. Horns first, they weren't too bad to get loose, but it did take just a bit of prying to free up the old gasket material.

The woofer, that was very stuck. I had all the screws out and the mid horn hole was wide open. I could stick my arm in the mid horn hole and pull and push on the woofer from behind and still nothing. I too did not want to mess up the wood around the woofer by prying, so I pryed on the inside. With a flat head screwdriver, you can slip it between the woofer frame and the wood and push the woofer outward through the opening. Eventually after moving around some of the woofer, you will get a bit of motion from it like its about to come loose, you'll know when its coming loose. Once this happens, just use your hand presssure to push it the rest of the way loose from the gasket and out of the enclosure. Just be very careful with that screwdriver inside, you don't want to accidentally scrape or poke through the woofer cone. Work very slow when you're not rushed.

Hope this is enough info to get you there.

If you have not got it out yet.....

Method #3 (or 4...) Remove screws; lay on back; remove mid horn; reach in and gently apply a "rocking" motion on woofer magnet assembly, back and forth, and it may come loose. Lift up, unclip, etc.

You can also try the "lever" method; use a very thin flat blade screwdriver or an old dinner knife and place a piece of plastic (use a plastic putty knife) on the outside "rim" around the recess. put the screwdriver in under the rim next to a screw hole (there should be a gasket "gap") and carefully "lever" the edge up. The plastic will prevent damage to the wood.

Check the wood rim recess and clean off any gasket residue, etc. before re-installation. Hand start all screws about 2 threads, and then (by hand) cross "torque" the screws when re-installing. You can also take some talcum powder and rub a thin "bead" with your finger on the speaker gasket and that will keep it from sticking in the future.

Hope that's of some assistance.

• 3 weeks later...