Members Weekly Music Recommendations-August 6

seti

Hey whats going on here! Where is everyone? I find it hard to believe that everyone is listening to sweep tones on their wonderful klipsch speakers.

All too often I hear people say that there is no new music under the sun and that modern music sucks. I find this hard to believe as there is always good music to be found. You may have to dig or ask around but there is always interesting music being created. Who are the new recording artist that you follow? Do you have a CD that was released in the last 5 years that is one of your favorites?

I am going to dig through my collection and see what new recording artist I really dig.

www.music-map.com

Boy the native's are restless and jumping the gun.[:D] It's the middle of summer. No need to rush. Ease back, slide into the evening. After all I'm turning 59 this week. slowing down. Bones are aching. Not to worry though, I'll be heading out on vacation next week so Seti, if you would do the honors I'd appreicate it.

Considering your comments, it's funny to me when people say there is no new good music. They've been saying that for hundreds of years and it's always untrue. Why just this weekend I was listening to something that is relatively new to me, only to examine the label and find out it was issued 8 years ago. It's all relative anyhow.

Oh yeah the cd I was listening to is: Dido, "No Angel", I guess Indie-rock.

Cool stuff the lead singer has a sultry, not quite ethereal voice with just enough edge to make it interesting. Lyrics and instruments lend many of the tunes an almost acid-type of flavor. It's extremely well recorded which can only enhance your listening pleasure. This ones been in regular rotation in my system for over a year now so give it a whirl.

Billy Joel "Turnstiles" (3rd release)........while I know some members aren't too fond of Billy, his older material (vintage) are my listening preferences:

I kinda relate to the song from my youth, "Angry Young Man", and of course there is always NY State of Mind:

There's a place in the world for the angry young man
With his working class ties and his radical plans
He refuses to bend, he refuses to crawl,
He's always at home with his back to the wall.
And he's proud of his scars and the battles he's lost,
And he struggles and bleeds as he hangs on the cross-
And he likes to be known as the angry young man.

Give a moment or two to the angry young man,
With his foot in his mouth and his heart in his hand.
He's been stabbed in the back, he's been misunderstood,
It's a comfort to know his intentions are good.
And he sits in a room with a lock on the door,
With his maps and his medals laid out on the floor-

I believe I've passed the age of consciousness and righteous rage
I found that just surviving was a noble fight.
I once believed in causes too,
I had my pointless point of view,
And life went on no matter who was wrong or right.

And there's always a place for the angry young man,
With his fist in the air and his head in the sand.
And he's never been able to learn from mistakes,
So he can't understand why his heart always breaks.
But his honor is pure and his courage as well,
And he's fair and he's true and he's boring as hell-
And he'll go to the grave as an angry old man.

(synthesizer solo)

There's a place in the world for the angry young man
With his working class ties and his radical plans
He refuses to bend, he refuses to crawl,
He's always at home with his back to the wall.
And he's proud of his scars and the battles he's lost,
And he struggles and bleeds as he hangs on the cross-

Boy the native's are restless and jumping the gun.[:D] It's the middle of summer.

It is getting hot in Arkansas July was really mild. Yeah I might be a tad restless/hyper as the sun be cooking my brain. Lots of Island music being played this weekend. Hey Thebes PM your address I have a CD to send ya.

At a Buddy's house yesterday watching some DVD's, lo and behold, Jimi Hendrix, and Otis Redding Live at Monterey, just like the Vinyl that came out way back when..........of course we had to watch MR. HENDRIX, still amazes me to this day, how he can almost rape that guitar like that, what a talent, too bad he never really played with a great back-up band, but that's another subject for another day.........

JIMI HENDRIX / OTIS REDDING LIVE AT MONTEREY.......................DVD...................1967.............

As much as I like Jimi Hendrix, here is the Showstopper, Otis Redding backed by Booker T. and the M.G.'S and the Memphis Horn Section, the famous STAX house Band. In my opinion, Otis Redding was the greatest vocalist to ever grace a stage. He had it all, voice, charm, timing, you name it, he had it. What a god damn waste, our generation was surely cheated with the loss of these two great performers. He rips right through his short, but impressive set, the LOVE crowd indeed. Otis and the M.G.'s looked so out of place there, but bye the end of the set, they had the crowd. It is great to see a young Steve Cropper, and Donald "Duck" Dunn lead that set musically. To watch Duck Dunn just pound that bass sends a chill down my old back. I attempted to play the Bass guitar at one period of my life, but gave it up because of guys like Duck Dunn, Masters of their instruments, made me realize I would never reach that level. This set of songs has stood the test of time, and with new technoligy looks and sounds real good. This is a must have disc for all you old dawgs, and a truly must own, if like me, you loved SOUL MUSIC. Arthea Franklin was the Queen of Soul, Otis Redding then had to be the King of Soul. There was,and is, No Better than him. We can argue this point 'till the cows come home, I will stand my ground on these two points.........Jimi Hendrix was the greatest Guitarist.....Ever.....and Otis Redding was the greatest Male singer...Ever...Get this disc, watch and see the Magic these guys display, and if you shed a tear or two watching Otis, that's cool, your not alone.........God I love this stuff.......

Seti, No need to apologize at all. It 's actually a relief to have someone start things off from time to time. In addition this whoel thread is about the music not credit,e gos etc.

Free music! Now that's a birthday present. Thanks and PM sent.

Marty

OK, I can't help myself.....called lack of control!

Somebody said Brazilian girls, and this instantly popped into my mind:

http://www.rubberfaces.com/data/dahmtriplets.php

Anyone remember the Dahm Triplets? What fantasies are made of (oooooh, I'm so bad)

Sorry Thebes, no offense to the Twins, but (3) are better than (2)..........like I would know[^o)]