Help selecting sub

rhawki

OK, i'm goin bonkers here tryin to decide on a sub. The rest of my system consists of KLF-30's, KLF-C7, RS-3's, Yamaha RX-V3000.

So, i've got it narrowed down now, and i'm lookin for opinions on these, but if anyone has any comments regarding a manufacturer or a better model in the same price range i'd like to hear it too. I'm tryin to stick to around $500. %70 HT %30 music, but i want something that can keep up with the KLF's. Plaster cracking factor is secondary - if i wanted muddy rumblings that pissed off the neighbors i would drive a "hoopty" cwm4.gif

M&K V-75 MKII ~ $450 (MX-700?)

Paradigm 2200 ~ $550

Velodyne CT-120 ~ $400

Polk PSW650 ~ $450

NHT Subone ~ $500

HSU VTF2 ~ $450

Energy e:XL-s12 ~ $500

Also found an auction for a HSU 1225 with an NHT MA-1A amp for ~ $400 plus shipping (slightly used)

Plan B: Save up for an SVS or NHT Subtwo.

Thanks folks!!!

-Rich

This message has been edited by rhawki on 12-26-2001 at 04:50 AM

Where can you get a Paradigm 2200 for $550? Ive looked around but was only able to negotiate a price of $700 threw my local dealer. Anyway if you can get the pw 2200 for that, if I were you I would seriously think hard on that one.

Although with the bad a$$ system you have, I would also consider the SVS cylinder w/ the Samson amp. you will get more ground rumbling explosions with the SVS compared to the other sub's on your list.

Remember that the center speaker and the subwoofer are the most important speaker's in a HT system.

Monty

"Where can you get a Paradigm 2200 for $550?"

Grrr, where did i get that price from? Hmmm must've been an auction... or maybe i'm just talkin smack! cwm13.gif

Hmm, just looked at the comparison chart of subs on the SVS page - http://www.svsubwoofers.com/subcomparo.htm - didn't realize the Paradigm was so close to the SVS (well, the single anyway!). Now if i could just find that price again...

Oh yea, if you look at the FAQ page on SVS, there are a whole load of suggestions for heavy bass playing.

-Rich

If you are looking at the Velodyne CT-120, step up to the CT-150, available on onecall.com for a closeout price of $535 (shipped price). I just got this a few days ago, and is a wonderful HT performer for that price. It has current sensing servo - one of the lowest priced Velodynes with that feature, and good output at 25hz. To get good output at lower frequencies than that is where the $$$$ come in. Good punch to keep up with the KLF's. I was also interested in the PW2200, a good sub which consistently gets good reviews, but I could not get one for close to the price you are quoting. Those were the two finalists - I chose the Velodyne, it fit the budget better, good "bang for the buck".

Benefits can certainly be had by doubling the budget for the sub - this gets you into SVS as an option, which have gotten rave reviews by all who have owned them.

------------------

First we Rock, then we Roll!

Holly...

Thanks for the link

WOW did you see the sub drivers?Damn I think one looks like the drivers Tom will use in his SVS SS!

I think its a very similar unit Smile.gif

Nice drivers

Oh the Paradigm is a great choice,the best buys are HSU and SVS.Both output and quality and low price.

TheEAR(s) Now theears

hey Ear,if you get a chance go back to the stryke.com link and click on drivers then click on he15woofer ,there is a test fron T.N. they have some good info, i know what you mean ,those woofers look mean, how about a couple of those in a room ,also note they used 3 15" passive radiators or 2 18" P.R's, why did klipsch use only one 15 P.R. on there RSW 15,i bet if klipsch used a 18" P.R. or a bigger box it would go lower, i'm still on hold on the sub ,i still want to hear a rsw15 for myself,also interested in the SVS and stryke audio power 15.2