Packing Heresy's for shipping question.

bhendrix

Bill,

I ship a lot of speakers via Fedex. The Heresy are a heavy speaker. The shipping gremlins are all around and will do their best to destroy anything and everything possible. I would personally put another 1" of styrofoam around them taping the corners particularly heavy. Even with the extra 1" of styrofoam you still are at the mercy of a bad or long throw from the handlers. Over Christmas this year I watched a news special on Fedex moving all the packages for the holidays. The handlers were pitching packages of all sizes onto conveyor belts to a distance of approximately 6 feet. That got my attention about packaging.

Harry

Bill,

Your instincts are right that you need to do more than the current 1" form and double wall box.

I think the Klipsch moulded inserts which surround and cover each end are at least 2" maybe 2.5 or better.

The Heresy cabs are so heavy that a drop on the corner has to absorb alot of energy to keep from dinging the corner. And it would be a drop from five feet.

Another inch of foam and another box that much at least. There could still be reason for concern.

I really am paranoid about the UPS and FedEx gorillas. I've received TWO pair of Heresy's over the years, with dinged corner damage in shipping. They weren't packed as well as what you will ship, for sure.

I've had good luck shipping Heresys; I'd build up each corner (all 8 of 'em) with thick cardboard (I found cardboard corners at a local box manufacturing company...they were ~ $.25 each) and then "float" the Heresys in a larger double walled outer box.

Good luck with the shipment!