Help Choosing Ref Home Theater

Italiano86

Hey guys, I am in the process of putting together a new home theater
system for my room, which is about 12' x12', and will go with the
reference line up because they will be with me for years to come
hopefully.

So far I am definitely leaning towards the RW12d, RF-82's,
and RS-52's (might have to get RS-42's though), but I can't decide if I should go with the regular RC-62
(if I can get it, may have to get RC-52) or pay a bit more and get the RC-64, which is just plain massive, haha. Reason I may not be able to get the better speakers is because of Best Buy accommodation limitations. Worst case senario I can't get the better ones, would RF-82 mains, RC-52, a RW12d and RS-42 surrounds be good enough for me?

I am planning on powering the system with the Harmon-Kardon
AVR-247, which puts out about 85 watts per channel, will this be enough
for the system? Will clipping be a possibility? How would a Yammy in the same price range compare?

As far as the
RC though, will the 64 be too much for the system compared to the 62?
Will the different size speakers go alright together? Lastly, would
going from the RF-82's down to the 62's be much of a difference?

Let me know your opinions, I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks

PS: This is a copy of my older post which I put in the wrong section, sorry mods. [:o]

Welcome,

Well you will always hear, buy the biggest speakers you can. I will say the same thing, go with the RF-82 setup and all the matching speakers. Some people have mixed the RC-64 with other speakers so I will let them tell you how well they sound together.

As far as the Harmon Kardon, I have never owned one so can't help you out, sorry. There are many topics about which AVR to go with, you should do a search and see what information you can find.

James

Cool, I'll look into that. I am willing to spend about 800 max (possibly a bit more if I have to, I get a discount, but even with one the price will still be up there) on a receiver at best buy.

On this list, are there any particular receivers which will give enough power to a setup with RF-82's, RS-42's, RC-52, and a RW12d?

I have heard of clipping, but will this be an issue even thought the speakers probably won't be played very loud all that much?

Thanks for the help.

• Moderators

A few weeks ago, I demo'd the RF-82's, RC-52, RS-42 with RW-12d at Best Buy. I was way under impressed with the RC-52. I would at least get the RC-62 but if you can afford it, the RC-64 is pretty impressive when I listened to it at a home theater store. Just my .02.