DVD Player?

justrelaxing

make sure it can do stuff like digital DTS/DD and onboard 5.1 output if you ever get ProMedia speakers (though i doubt ANYONE who has a Klispch home theater system will hook a promedia system to their dvd player) out, if you have a progressive scan tv make sure it can do progressive scanning.... it needs RGB output if your tv can do it, or digital, or s-video..

one cool thing is mp3 playback... you can put like 10 hours of music, near cd quality, onto the cd and teh dvd player will play it. a pretty cool feature if you don't have a 10 disck changer or something like that Smile.gif

------------------

-justin

I am an amateur, if it is professional;

ProMedia help you want email Amy or call her @ 1-888-554-5665

Klipsch Home Audio help you want, email support@klipsch.com or call @ 1-800-KLIPSCH

RA# Fax Number=317-860-9140 / Parts Department Fax Number=317-860-9150

justrelaxing,

Give us a few general parameters, whatever you know right now, and I'm sure people on this forum will have plenty of opinions. For example:

Size of TV? 480p (progressive scan) input on TV?

Other components in system?

Intend to use it for playing both movies and music?

Future plans, such as upgrade receiver or TV?

General budget range?

These are the main parameters I can think of that will help you narrow you search.

Greetings from Minnesota.

Well guys,

I just moved into a home. The basement is not finished. That is where in 2 years the system will go. For now I will have the start of the system in the living room.

Currently i have a 27 inch tv......It does have a S-Video. Plan on getting a HDTV in 2 yrs when I move the theatre to the basement. I currently have Klipsch Tangent 50 front floor speakers. I want to buy a Denon Receiver. I have a Klipsch center speaker, not sure of model. Want to buy DVD player soon. Not sure of kind to get. Is it nessary to get progressive scan now? What do I look for and any good ones to get? Dont want to go over $400. I will be getting the rear Klipsch speakers. My system will be used for both movies and music. Currently the DVD is in budget.......1 year from now I plan on upgrading and limit is within reason, but not as scarse as I want to go with DVD.

Any help would be great guys & gals

i would just go for the SONY NS400 dvd player.. i just got it and it is great! RGB, S-Video and composite output. then in two years when you get an HDTV, who knows what DVD will be then! that is when i would invet the money, the NC400 is only $219.

------------------

-justin

Klipsch Home Audio help you want, email support@klipsch.com or call @ 1-800-KLIPSCH

I agree with Justin that you can spend a little now to get into DVD with a solid player, be happy for a couple of years, and then see where DVD goes in a couple of years when you go to HDTV. That's what I did. Right now DVD/CD seems, to me, to be really in flux and so I want to wait. See posts on DVD Audio, SACD, progressive scan, etc.

Basically, IHO, SVHS is a fine connection for a TV 27" or under. You wouldn't notice much gain using a component video connection at that screen size anyway. And, progressive scan will not do you any good without a HDTV. You need a TV with a component 480p input that is capable of displaying images progressively (vs. interlaced) to reap the benefits of progressive scan. If you want to plan ahead for your HDTV you could buy progressive scan player now, but in two years who knows where things will be at.

I bought the Sony DVP NC600. It is a 5-disc changer, plays DVD, CD, CD-R/RW fine--runs under $250. It has both SVHS and component video outputs, should you need it in the future. It is not progressive scan, and it does not decode DTS. It also has analog and digital coaxial audio outputs. So, that gives you the option of using either the DAC in the DVD (analog) or the DAC in your receiver (digital). If you plan to get a good receiver that can decode Dolby Digital and DTS, then you don't need a DVD player that can do it. But, if you will rely on the DVD player to decode, make sure it can decode both DD and DTS. I plan to upgrade when the whole DVD-A, SACD, progressive scan thing is worked out better and multi-capable DVD players are available and affordable.

In the $400 or less range I would go with Sony. They have several models under $400. I think they now have a 5-disc DVD at around $300 that also has SACD, and I think one around $400 that is also progressive scan. I bought my DVD player only two months ago, and since Sony has release a bunch of new models. Consider that less than a year ago it was hard to find a DVD player that would even play CD-R/RW reliably, and now you can find them with progressive scan and SACD for a reasonable price. I guess some of this flux will always be around in the A/V world.

One other note. Most DVDs are widescreen only. With SVHS they'll look sharp on your 27" TV, and you'll see the entire picture as the director intended, but the image will be quite small considering the black bands. Being a newbie I didn't know this when I bought my DVD player. Of course when I auditioned the players they played them on widescreen TVs. I get it home and the image is great, but small. But the sound is so much better. Of course now this has moved up my timeframe to buy a 16:9 HDTV. Perhaps you know this, but if not you won't be suprised like I was.

Sorry this is pretty long and probably confusing. Hope it helps.

Eric

-------------

27" Sony Wega

KLF-20 Mains

KLF-C7 Center

Infinity Bookshelf Rears (to be KSP-S6)

Yamaha RX-V1000

Sony DVP-NC600

Mitsubishi SVHS

Monster interconnects and speaker cable

quote:

Originally posted by mike stehr:

Yeah, nothin' like big sound with a 20 inch

sony t.v.

I hate it when I go to my buddie's, and he's

watching DVD on a 61 incher.

I have the better audio setup for DVD, and he has the

61 inch t.v. with a rather mediocre audio

setup.

A DVD with built in decoder is a nice option.

maybe yall shoudl combine your setups LoL!

teh SOny 400 has a built in DD 5.1 decoder, not DTS though Frown.gif

Wiat for an HDTV, a new one was just released that does not only progressive scan but can do 3D picture with no glasses needed... it somehown divides the signals to provide an image that pops out of the screen like those old hologramsyou could get from crackerjack boxes with teh baseball players Smile.gif in two years those might be more of a standard... well not a standard but much cheaper than they are now LoL!, there is only one brand and model for this type of TV. i think it is in this months Wired magazine... or Fortune CNET, i have too many subscriptions to remember which magazine LoL!

imagine watching the Matrix in 3D... WOW!

------------------

-justin

i will scan the report for ya Wink.gif

------------------

-justin

ok... well nix that for a while cause they (contractors) are putting the wood floor on our landing on the staircase soo i raelly can not get to my room LoL! but as soon as they let me go up staiars i will get it... oh wait! i will just climb on the roof

just lets hope i don't fall LoL!

------------------

-justin

it took some doing but i got in the house Smile.gif

3dtv.jpg

------------------

-justin

but really, there are plasma tv's now that cost near that Smile.gif haha... too bad i can not afford even a plasma tv! LoL! i woudl usre like to test drive one of these though.

------------------

-justin