Cornwalls...finally.

Appleskinner

After a long hard search, I have finally gotten my Cornwalls. I haven't had a chance to pop open the cabs, but the SNs are 9P261 and 9P264. Can anyone give an idea of the year on these and/or proper crossover driver components? The stain job leaves something to be desired and they've got some minor battle scars, but they will make a good winter project. Unfortunately, one of the grill cloths is pretty torn up as well. I will post pictures once I talk my wife into helping me haul these out of the car. :|

The plan is to wire these up to my MC250 until I stumble upon a Scott 299 and find out what all the fuss is about tubes and Cornwalls.

Congrat's, you will love them, well you should anyway. I too just picked up a pair, about 2 weeks ago now. I spent close to 2 yrs looking for the right pair. They do sound best with tubes, that is what I will be using with them. Of course that is just my opinion. Can't help you with the year made. But enjoy.

Jeff

• Moderators

Congratulations and welcome to The Forum! You are going to love em once you get em up and running. And I would assume living in Alaska refinishing would make a wonderful winter project!

Again, congratulations....stick around a while....we are really good crowd to "hang out" with!

Here is a picture of the front of my "new" '76 Cornwalls. I removed the backs and they contain a Type B network with a K-77 tweeter, K-55V mid, and K-33E woofer. I am assuming this is the typical configuration for Cornwall Is. As far as I know these have never been opened, as I purchased them from the original owner who bought these back when he was working on the construction of the Alaska pipeline.

I did notice that one of the K-77 tweeters is not working. I hooked it up to a Fluke meter and it is completely dead. Would anyone happen to have a spare round magnet tweeter of similar vintage they would be willing to part with? Maybe one of these days I will upgrade the tweeters, but for now, I would just like to have an original that works. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

~Gary

post-25126-13819343715666_thumb.jpg

Here is a view of the innards...

Congratulations!

I can guarantee you that those caps need replacement. The old motor-runs like that were on my '78 Cornwalls almost completely neutralized the highs. Replacing them was like getting new speakers.

Look for forum member Bob Crites (BEC) here. He can set you up with a new cap kit very reasonably, and he may be able to help you with the bad tweet.

My Cornwalls really do sound great with my Scott 299-D... but then, they've sounded great with everything I've hooked 'em up to (Mac MA-6100, Winsome Labs Mouse T-amp, and a Yamaha CA-2010).

And welcome to the best audio forum on the internets!

PM

If you measure right on the tweeter leads after disconnecting the leads, you should read about 6 ohms.  A reading of "open" would indicate a bad diaphragm.  

If you can solder, you can replace the diaphragm and you would be back in business.  I can fix you up with the diaphragm.

Bob Crites

Congrats on the CWs. That old Sansui will sound pretty good with them too! Get with BEC(Bob Crites) and get a pair of diaphrams and the crossover kit and they will sound sweet again. You can't believe how much the new caps will do for the sound until you replace them. Night and day difference over the original caps.

Harry