Tube amp interest?

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Are the amps still available? Please let me know - I might be interested 240-505-0548.

go ahead and contact Will through the Audiogon system. He does several of these a year, so if these are sold he would probably be able to build up another unit with your name on it.

think they would be 35 to 38 wpc. Don't know why they wouldn't be a nice complement to RF-7's.

I talked to Will earlier. 25wpc. It's what my monoblocks run. Will power about anything around. Definitely bass monsters, ultra quiet. The Triads are about as fine a tranny as there is. Can't beat real iron.

I went ahead and made a deal to get one from him. I couldn't resist. I only paid $10 for the organ my monoblocks came out of. I didn't hesitate to pay $400 for his amp. Yes, they do sound that good.

Harry

SF,

Thanks.

I really can't pass up an amp like this. They're hard to find in any condition and to find one that's ready to go is difficult at best. I do the Ebay search twice a day trying to find these. I check out local listings for the organs. There's not that many of the 6L6 amps still around.

You heard the monoblocks when you were here. They sound pretty darned good. Even at a very low volume they still kick a..

Harry

The Baldwins' low noise floor is very appealing. I am very distracted by hum. Which model organs are you looking for, Harry? I gutted a couple Baldwin Orgasonics (and a Conn and a Lowery) a few years back.

G,

I've found that Baldwin had a lot of options as far as the amps go. I've seen different amps in the same model organ. Some have the accessory speaker, some have multiple speakers (which this pictured pair came out of), and some have the single duo cone speaker. There's no telling what model they may be in. I just search daily for ones like I'm using. I'm looking for at least one more pair of them. I find most of them at churches and school rummage sales. Every now and then at a yard sale in some neighborhood.

Thank you,

Harry

EDIT: If anyone has any of these they would consider getting rid of please let me know. Thanks.

Wow, and to think how many old Baldwin Model 5 organs my dad repaired back in the late '70s...he may have had a few beater organs he used for parts, and I don't know what became of any spare amps he may have latched onto (probably all used to restore existing customer's organs). I was just a teen back then and didn't care about tube amps (what a dumb kid I was...girls had my attention then).[:P]

If I ever replace my Hong-Kong made 300B SET amp, I'd consider anything made by Autospec (especially a SET amp similar to his 45 design), or a custom job from Erik if he was ever inclined to do so...that is, if I ever have the funds. Maybe someday...[:)]

In terms of workmanship, Will's approach is similar to that of your dad, Jim. They both do among the very best work I have seen anywhere, and your dad's wiring ability is incredible. I keep meaning to post a picture of the work he did on that radio for me. The entire piece is a lesson in organization, lead dress, and aesthetics. My own dad recently finished a very similar radio in terms of type, but it's a solid state device rather than tube. The level of knowledge of those 'radio guys' humbles me. In many ways, it makes audio seem, to me, a little simplistic when one starts comparing schematics.

Erik

Dee, if you don't mind, why did you get rid of the Baldwin?

Gregg,

Just overwhelmed with amp inventory. It was a great part of my collection, but didn't feel it was helping any WAF. It is quite a large thing. Battleship comes to mind. Sort of a museum piece as old as I am, which added to the cool factor. A piece of redeemed "obselete" gear given a second life in two channel after it's life powering an organ. Also, and this is somewhat hard to judge, because it was my only experience with 6L6, but I preferred the Mark III's. Don't know if my preference was due to 6L6 vs 6550 or something else. I think the Mark III's were more resolving. But, they probably should be. The Baldwin is a very good bang for the buck value, but there are better amps out there.

Dee:

"The Baldwin is a very good bang for the buck value, but there are better amps out there."

I agree there's always going to be something better (or at least different sounding -- which isn't always an improvement), but at the cost of what Will lets those Baldwins go for -- not just for the amp but also for the amount of time put into the reconstruction, powder coating, etc., one would have to pay considerably more for something similar. I sold mine, yet I still look around for them all the time. As old as they are, practically every one I have seen looks essentially new inside. They were in organs, so I suspect had the benefit of protection from the 'elements.'

Erik

I mentioned that above -- to fund another audio project. Consider the amount of change, upgrade, improvement (or lack thereof), and modification that takes place among those on the forum. Why does someone sell a JM Peach or BB, or a pair of VRDs, or Klipschorns with enormously modifed top-sections -- whatever the case may be?

I have sold things in the past that have resulted in some regret, and despite the fact that the Baldwin sale helped put me in the position to purchase some parts I wanted for another project, it falls in that 'regret' category. I even posted at one point that I decided not to sell it, and mentioned that publicly. I then got an email from someone who said he had tried to contact me on several occasions about it, but I hadn't gotten any of his previous messages. We decided it would only be fair to go ahead and sell to this person since he was trying (but for some technical reason/glitch, failing) to get in touch with us when I first mentioned it was for sale. There was a ludicrous notion that this action, which my wife and I decided on together (she thought the Baldwin was awesome, by the way...) was simply a marketing ploy. Absurd.

We sold it for what we paid for it, inluding the 4 brand new Hovland Musicaps I happened to have on hand at the time and installed. Some people sell for profit, and have difficulty understanding when others do not.

And that, Gregg, is a summary of the Baldwin sale. Are you interested in one? The fact that people buy and sell components isn't always a reflection on its quality or performance, and that absolutely isn't the case with the Baldwin. My other amps, the Moth 2A3 and Moondogs, and one other stereo amp (which is at Dee's right now), have some sentimental associations where the Baldwin did not. That fact made it easier to part with.

Erik

You'll have to forgive me. I neglected to mention on other element surrounding this public analysis of the sale of the Baldwin amp: Our system was setup as very much of a dual-mono arrangement, where in terms of connection components, it was just easier in terms of connecting components, if we had dedicated right and left channels. Because of back problems, it was honestly hard for me to have to make awkward and longer IC runs behind racks of equipment.

I was subsequently pondering what's shown below, a pair of PP parallel single-channel Baldwin monoblocks. That didn't work out for one reason or another. I can't remember what that was, but if I do, I'll be sure to post it here...........if that's required for a comprehensive understanding of....why I sold the Baldwin organ amp.

post-10533-13819343948388_thumb.jpg

There are definitely different amps around. I'm not sure if the term "better" really applies here. There are always better amps around. The Baldwin amps I'm running have their own musical personality. That sweet tone only found in tubes. They're pure, mellow, and full. They don't seem to have any faults for normal listening. The 6L6s are very nice on the bottom and not punchy at all. Mine still have the original Baldwin 12AX7s on the nose and the range of these amps is as good as there is. They're not a monster on power output but will still solidly rock with clarity and authority. I've got a few buddies that HATE horns but they can't get over how smooth these amps make my K-600's and Crites CT-125 sound. I've actually turned down "$500 cash on the spot" laid out for them. I buy and sell a lot of stuff on ebay. Not many of my components are not for sale. Cash won't buy these unless it got ridiculous. To most people I'm sure they're ugly and bare. Nothing that someone would put in a nice room. Definitely lacking in looks. Except to me anyway. WAF isn't a factor. I'm happily single. They're a guy's amp for sure. Until you listen to them. Then they start looking darned nice.

I got my favorite McAlister PP-150 (75wpc) amp back saturday morning. USPS delivered it damaged. Love them guys. They can damage anvils. It's still in good operating condition and I wiped it down, put the 9 tubes back in, quick biased it, let it warm up about 20 minutes and biased it again. Bias raised about 1/2 volt on warm up, and hit "Play" on the same cd I had just disconnected from the pre using the Baldwins. I immediately missed the sound of the Baldwins. Different for sure. The McAlister will blow it away on power but I've gotten used to the Baldwins in the last couple of months or so. I remember what I like about the McAlister after listening to it the last couple of days now. I'm building a new pair of speakers real soon and will have 2 systems in my living room. It's probably going to be one of those things that depend on what type of music I'm in the mood for. The Baldwins are definitely staying though.

You won't go wrong with the Baldwin if it sounds anything like my monoblocks. I'm buying one from Will. Don't need it but knowing what mine do, I won't be without the sound of them around here.

Harry

Erik,

Please don't think I'm being critical, or trying to make some point of judgement, when I ask why you sold them. I just forgot. They do sound appealing. I do dig the bang-for-buck aspect, and even appreciate the utilitarian looks. What's keeping me from getting one is all these amps I have here that need attention. Seriously, I have 3 ST-70s, 2 Dyna MKIVs, 2 Fisher SA-16s, several other Fisher and Magnavox console amps, a couple Sargent Rayment amps, plus who knows what. ALL are in need of at least "safety" upgrades. Some need complete rebuilds. I even have a couple solder-slinging friends eager to help me out (Clipped & Shorn and SherwoodHiFi on the forum, Zeno and Bob in real life). Just gotta get off my duff and do it. It's just appealing sometimes to look at a bargain "plug and play" amp as a simpler alternative.

Spoke with Will,

He is no longer taking orders for the Baldwins. He says he is retired and he has been inundated with orders. He suggested anyone who is interested should wait a couple of weeks before they can order

Just thought I let those who maybe interested know.