Tube amp interest?

I'm glad HarryO told me about these Baldwins for sale. 

I have listened to his monoblock Baldwin's and was amazed at  the sound. 

Of course he didn't want to part with them.  So I had to another tube amp

Any Tube amp would do.  Just so I got it quick.  So I bought a Harman Kardon A260 that i'm in love with now.

A tube newbie but i'm not going back to solid state. 

Hearing music now for the first time. Can't wait for Will's Baldwin's

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For those who have contacted Will, keep in mind that there is a fair amount of chassis work/rebuilding and relocating of parts involved with each one. The first link I included was an example of a finished amp, after powder coating, and so forth. New coupling capacitors are usually installed, however I would like to mention that there are builders out there that pay very good money for exactly the type of capacitor that was originally used. Not ALL vintage/antique capacitors go bad or leaky. As I said, I installed Hovland Musicap interstage capacitors, and didn't detect a significant improvement over what had been in the amps to begin with.

Erik

• 4 weeks later...

I have a bunch of organ amps.....or tone cabinet amplifiers.

The one in the foreground is from a Hammond tone cabinet. It's a two way amp with PP 6BQ5 outputs, and another section for the reverb tank. I like the chunky separate dual rectifier PS section. I have three of these amps.

The second one is a 6L6 PP mono amp, 5U4 rectified with a 6SL7 driver. It was the last thing I aquired from the local old school ST Vincent DePaul before it shut down. From the organ I also got the speaker, and all the tubes. (About 35 Sylvania green label 6SN7 chrome tops)

It is a Baldwin manufactured amplifier, (I think, IIRC.) But a offshoot brand organ...or was... The third one is Hammond 6V6 (parallel PP?) amplifier. I have four or five of those. I think they were from tone cabinets, and a two-way type amplifier. The last one with the frosting on top of the caps is a 2A3 parallel PP amplifier...old Hammond or Webster or sumthin....

The old 2A3 one is the one that has my interest for a push-pull 2A3......

post-6643-13819344826138_thumb.jpg

My 6L6 Monoblock Triad Baldwin amps are gone. Sold. I may get a case of sellers remorse but I was made an offer "I couldn't refuse". One of the gentlemen that's been trying to buy them from me for months offered up $600 cash on the table for them with the original Baldwin tubes and I couldn't see turning it down. I figured $600 will get me a lot of pleasure playing around with other amps and/or components. To rationalize I'm telling myself they're not worth $600 to me and I've got plenty of amplification sitting around collecting dust. I will miss them though.

It also gives me a reason to play around with the ST-70 I just picked up from Joessporter. It's a very nice amp at a great price Thanks Joe!

I still have a pair of the 6BQ5 Baldwin monoblock Triads packed away neatly on the shelf.

Harry

I have a bunch of organ amps.....or tone cabinet amplifiers.

The one in the foreground is from a Hammond tone cabinet. It's a two way amp with PP 6BQ5 outputs, and another section for the reverb tank. I like the chunky separate dual rectifier PS section. I have three of these amps.

The second one is a 6L6 PP mono amp, 5U4 rectified with a 6SL7 driver. It was the last thing I aquired from the local old school ST Vincent DePaul before it shut down. From the organ I also got the speaker, and all the tubes. (About 35 Sylvania green label 6SN7 chrome tops)

It is a Baldwin manufactured amplifier, (I think, IIRC.) But a offshoot brand organ...or was...   The third one is Hammond 6V6 (parallel PP?) amplifier. I have four or five of those. I think they were from tone cabinets, and a two-way type amplifier. The last one with the frosting on top of the caps is a 2A3 parallel PP amplifier...old Hammond or Webster or sumthin....

The old 2A3 one is the one that has my interest for a push-pull 2A3......

Mike,
What I wanna see now is the pile of busted-up organ wood...

I myself also kept about 3 of the benches.  Hey, I'll bet they'd make great chassis holders (kind of like pseudo-nouveau consoles)!

Mike,

What I wanna see now is the pile of busted-up organ wood...

In the case of the 6L6 amplifier, I just gave the folks at vinnies a little more cash and told them to keep the organ after plundering all the goodies.

They didn't like it, but they were willing to take the money and got over it. Those Hammond tone cabinets were nice pieces of furniture. But my friend was moving, and I didn't have the room. They could have been configured as a two-way bi-amped stereo set-up I suppose.....

Someone did take the tone cabs....but they didn't get the amps..heh

I've yet trashed a organ for parts, just pinched the parts I wanted. Lord knows I've trashed enough console stereos.

I wonder if these caps leak.....

post-6643-13819344869708_thumb.jpg

Hi:

My 45 amplifier is an AC heated with Tamura transformers, chokes, ans PT.. It's an SRPP drive section with a true dual mono design(sorry, no schematic). The only thing shared is the power transformer. The layout and construction is all mine. I used a mint green powdercoat on the chassis, with all high quality parts inside and out. The feet and volume knob are polished "stainless steel"

• 3 weeks later...

Baldwins.jpg

"The Baldwins' low noise floor is very appealing. I am very distracted by hum. Which model organs are you looking for, Harry? I gutted a couple Baldwin Orgasonics (and a Conn and a Lowery) a few years back".

I bought another Baldwin organ this week. It has the identical amp on the left of the picture. The MONO amp. If you have one of these I'd like to have one.

Thanks,

Harry