Tube amp interest?

It would be very hard to find a better deal. These old Baldwins are outstanding amplifiers, and with the rebuild quality evident in the listing, a great bargain and a great way to get into tube amplifiers if you have an interest. The person who rebuilt this has been working with tube equipment for decades.

Tube rectifiers, PP 6L6, no bias adjustments needed. Very easy to use. Power and output transformers are powder coated for an extremely durable finish -- not just sprayed from a can.

I own an ST-70 rebuilt by this same person, and the workmanship is outstanding. I had one of these that was sold to fund another audio interest, and there were several who contacted me after it was sold. Another one direct from the builder is available here:

http://cls.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cls.pl?ampstube&1191442074

Erik

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've got 2 pairs of the Baldwin Organ Monoblock amps. They are outstanding. Beautiful sound. My 6L6 monoblocks are some of the best sounding amps around.

If someone is wanting a great sounding pair of amps this appears to be a real bargain.

Here's my 6L6s with the Triad trannys.

Harry

post-24628-13819343679986_thumb.jpg

Another view.

These pics are a couple of months old. I was going to play them out to make sure the original caps would be ok. I'm still listening to them. They sound so good I've left them as they are. 1957 all original except the tubes. I still have the original tubes and they're great. They're the 6L6GB and I put in the GC to boost the output. No problems with the switch. The Triads alone are worth what the guy is asking for the amp.

Harry

post-24628-13819343681316_thumb.jpg

Neil/Harry:

I feel the same way about those things. If I had some extra $$$s, I'd do the same! There were some changes done from the earlier modifications, such as relocating the filter caps so that the OPTs could be installed side-by-side on the end of the amp -- and signal leads away from the power transformer/power supply.

Too cool. He also fabricated a bottom plate from sheet aluminum, which might help offer some shielding. Couple of other examples of his built-from scratch work: 45 and 2A3 single ended stereo amps:

post-10533-13819343683486_thumb.jpg

I'd jump in to echo what Erik is saying about the quality of these amps. I've owned one of the Baldwin amps that Will rebuilt and a pair of Mark III's that were absolutely the finest looking Mark III's I've ever seen. They sounded fabulous as well.

The Baldwins are interesting because they are originally two channel mono amps. Sounds odd doesn't it? The design allowed for a LF and HF channel for the organ. Will takes this circuit and installs matching transformers to convert to a stereo amp.

The 6L6 sounds very good and my impression was that it had great bass dynamics where it really shines.

Best bang for the buck I've seen in a tube power amp.

ooops! Sorry about that -- the back shot is of another 2A3 he did. Anyway, gives the idea of the kind of workmanship. I wish I had access to a good powder-coating facility. I used to use lots of wood on chassis, but found, unless the entire chassis is metal with just wooden accents, all metal is really better as far as shielding.

Anyway, I'd love another Baldwin amp, and the price includes tubes, shipping, everything. I thought I had an inside shot of one somplace, but can't seem to find it. They are built SO well, and the big output stage cathode resistors are kind of cool in terms of how they're mounted. They are tubular resistors, mounted vertically to the inside of the chassis, which acts as a heat sink. I think he said he tried Hovland coupling caps, but am not sure if the one shown uses them. I had Hovlands of the right value on hand when I had one, and they worked fine, but I didn't really notice much difference in terms of sound from the originals, which measured very close to their stated values after so many years. It's a strong-sounding amp, and was quiet even with Klipschorns.

Erik

I'm lovin mine, and to think I almost parted with it. After getting the pCats I did not think I would have any use for the Baldwin again. It goes back into service today to power the Cornwall's I just purchased. It even get's it's own custom amp stand that I just built. Waiting for the poly to dry, should be all set up later today.

Jeff

Dee:

"The Baldwins are interesting because they are originally two channel mono amps. Sounds odd doesn't it? The design allowed for a LF and HF channel for the organ. Will takes this circuit and installs matching transformers to convert to a stereo amp."

That is good informatioin -- thanks for mentioning it.

So tempting to me, but I can't right now. I need to get some parts for another project, and we just have other things going on now.

Erik

"And Harry:

Those look really great! I think it's neat you've kept them pretty stock-looking, too."

Erik

It was never my intention to keep them like this. Once I had them fired up I couldn't unhook them for an overhaul and cosmetic makeover. They sound so nice I just left them hooked up. I have dusted them off and cleaned them up though. My other pair is pretty much identical except they use 6BQ5 quads. I've got the Altec Valencias hooked up to them. I prefer the sound of the 6L6 though. I made wood cases using 1x3 solid maple and polishing the chassis and painted the tranny covers gunmetal grey with black plates. I had this in mind for the 6L6 amps but they sound so good they stay hooked up as-is.

I'm amp and preamp poor right now. School just started a couple of days ago and all the extra expenses have me saying no to a couple of purchases. If I had the extra pesos I'd grab these up. It's very hard to find quality sound for this money.

Harry

One other point:

If you see the listing, you can make out two slotted potentiometer shafts in the middle front of the amp. Those aren't bias controls; they're input level controls. In other words, the amp will work fine without a preamp, but I preferred it used with those controls turned all the way up, and the amp used with an active preamp/linestage in front of it -- solid state or tube.

BTW: The power transformer is HUGE! The output transformers mounted on the opposite end help balance out both physically, as well as visually, IMO.

And I think he has 10 or 12 more of them -- that' probably why can never get my hands on one to rebuild myself![:)]

BADDAD on the forum here is going to try to get hold of the guy and buy them. He's here in Indy. He bought a pair of H2's off me and listened to mine while he was here and has been trying to find some ever since. I wouldn't take $500 for my stock ones as-is.

He asked if the Agon guy is straight and I told him about you guys doing business with the guy previously.

I wish I had the bucks right now.

Harry

"He asked if the Agon guy is straight and I told him about you guys doing business with the guy previously."

Suggest he look at Will's feedback. It's perfect, and he is always available for help. Very nice guy who has a sincere love for the hobby and technology. What he asks for his products is uncommon for the level of workmanship, IMO.

Erik

This whole thing motivated me to check my stash of parts, and I think I can make something kind of similar, but maybe not as 'cool' overall. Ah well.....it would probably have to be SS rectified, and I've got what's needed for that (cheap but at least effective).

That Baldwin is a beautiful working relic from the tube age! (with some personal updates, of course).

Erik

I'm sure BADDAD bought the one listed. These will hit approx 25wpc and will be more than enough for the RF-7s. I had a pair of the 7s and ran them with my 6BQ5 monos and even the 13w monoblocks gave the RF7s new life. No problems there.

I just got off the phone with the builder and I'm gonna throw a pair of EL34s in one of mine to try it. It doesn't look to be a problem trying it. It could jump my 25watt monoblocks up another 5-10 watts. Worth trying I think. Minimal risk. Voltages look close enough to throw an old pair in one.

Harry