Need help with theater settings

Italiano86

Hey guys,

I have finally assembled my setup in my room, and it is pretty crazy, haha. There are a few things I could really use some input on to help me get everything setup good.

For starters, my system consists of 2 x rf-82's, 2 x rs-42's, an rc-64, and an rw10d.

Does anyone know what a good setting for crossover frequencies would be for a setup like this? I can hear a lot of hissing from the 82's and 42's, but none from the center. Knowing the crossover stuff for each speaker would be great, and how to set them.

Also, I am totally confused about the upconversion and video stuff on my setup. I am running the hk avr-247, hk dvd 38, and a samsung 32" 720p hdtv. I am confused about how all the video features are supposed to work together. I have hdmi running for inputs and outputs, and have the dvd and avr setup to run 720p (don't know if it should be set for interlacing or progressive), even though the dvd I'm watching is only standard resolution. For some reason, the letterboxes jump around a bit up and down, and the picture looks extremely grainy, any ideas?

I hope most of these questions can be answered, I have been trying to figure out what is going on and reading the manuals and online stuff for hours now, lol.

Thanks guys,

Drew

So in my receiver settings, set all the speaker crossovers to 80Hz? I am a little confused as to how that works. I believe the picture in my movie jumps up and down about a half centimeter when I put the video to 720p on all the components and on progressive. Any ideas why the picture is so grainy and jumpy? Thanks for your input.

Not being a wise-guy.............Are you sure it's hooked up right? Is your TV switched to the right input, component1 or 2, recheck your owners manual, many are confusing, and you have to read them a couple of times, I had to............Good Luck, you'll figure it out. Alot different than a 2 channel.......EH !

The hissing is not a product of your crossover point, you've got something else going on. Possible interconnect or receiver issues.

oldbuckster, how come everytime you say "not being a wise guy" you're being a wise guy......EH!![:P][:)]

Why do you write that ?.....Most of the Home Theatre problems are something that is simply overlooked or mis-connected. Do you think I'm a wise-guy, or you pullin' my chain ?

I would hope you would read it as humor, that's why I used 2 smileys!!! Sometimes it's hard to put "intent" into your words in print. It's all good.

Carl

Your right..........I was just wondering, if I don't ask, I won't know. Rock on.......no fart like an old fart.......EH !!!!!!!..[:$]

I easily fixed the jumpy video by switching to progressive on the dvd player. I am listening to music on my computer right now through my receiver to my speakers, and my rc-64 sounds perfect, treble is just right, and the mids sound terrific, but my rf-82's have almost a hissing treble, and the mids seem to be lacking. I probably have a setting weird on the receiver or something, I don't know (options are like dts, pro logic II, dsp, logic 7...). Does the rc-64 just sound that much better compared to the 2 rf-82's?

I could really use a program to even everything out for me, haha. It seems like the rf-82's are a bit big for the regular mid ranges my music hits, and it seems they are just kinda sitting there as if waiting for some bass, if that makes any sense. The speakers just sound totally different. Seems like the rc-64 is taking over and making the others sound bad.

I'm wondering if I should have waited and saved up for the rf-63's... [:|] Any tips you guys for balancing anything out would be awesome, and I do mean any, haha. I am running the Harkan-Kardon avr-247. I really don't know what's best for each listening situation, such as 1/8th jack from pc to y cable-rca to the receiver. Playing Wii seems like pro-logic II game mode sounds best, then I let the dvd handle audio automatically.

Thanks again for your input guys, I really appreciate it.

Drew