Quintets Vs. System 6

APPLEBITE

Guys, I have the Quintets on order, even though I havn't even heard them yet. I was at a different Klipsch dealership than where I ordered them from and gave them a listen (my dealer didn't have the Quints or System 6 in stock to listen too)and I was very impressed with the sound coming out of the quints, despite their small size. The demo was done with Star Wars #1, and once a particular scene played through I listened to the System6, and the difference, especially in the mids, seemed substantial. Here are the +'s and -'s of the two systems for what I am looking for.

Quintets:

Pro's: Small size, swivel mounting pedestal, price ($500 Can.)

Con's: Lacking some midbass, smaller sound.

System6:

Pro's: Big sound, small package, much more midbass, crisper sound.

Con's: Price ($850-$950), no mounting hardware included.

The pro's and con's seem to almost cancel each other out, so I'd like to hear from poeple who have either of these systems, and let me know your thoughts. I'd really like to go for the System6, but if they arn't needed, then why bother.

My living room is 15 feet deep, and about 25 feet long. Thanks for any help guys!!!

------------------

JVC 36" tv

Technics DA-10 Reciever

Klipsch KSW-10 sub

Klipsch Quintets (On order)

Hitachi DV-P415U dvd player

From my viewpoint, since speakers are about sound, PROs/CONs in the sound area carry a lot more weight than pros/cons in other areas. If you can swing the cost of the System 6, I believe its sound outweighs any item you can consider. If you can bookshelf mount the fronts, "TV-mount" the center, and put a couple of stout screws in the wall for the rears, your mounting issues are gone. (The SS-.5s come with keyhole mounting brackets to affix them to the wall.)

Also, given the size of your room, I fear the Quintets might get lost. Just MHO, of course Smile.gif

Doug

------------------

My System

I don't have any bookshelves available for mounting the SB-1's, so what could I easily build, or buy for cheap, to mount them. I was thinking maybe just a small shelve on the wall just big enough for the speaker, would that work??

------------------

JVC 36" tv

Technics DA-10 Reciever

Klipsch KSW-10 sub

quote:

Originally posted by APPLEBITE:

I don't have any bookshelves available for mounting the SB-1's, so what could I easily build, or buy for cheap, to mount them. I was thinking maybe just a small shelve on the wall just big enough for the speaker, would that work??

first off, i have had teh quintets and teh synergy 6, the synergy's won easily Smile.gif

i went to best buy and got speakers stands for like 60 bucks (a piece or pair.. can't remember) that held the speaks. worked pretty good Smile.gif

------------------

-justin

I am an amateur, if it is professional;

ProMedia help you want email Amy or call her @ 1-888-554-5665

Klipsch Home Audio help you want, email support@klipsch.com or call @ 1-800-KLIPSCH

RA# Fax Number=317-860-9140 / Parts Department Fax Number=317-860-9150

"first off, i have had teh quintets and teh synergy 6, the synergy's won easily"

Well...DUH

Its like to say I have Dynaudio Contour 3.3's and Synergy and the Dynes are better. DUH

LOL

Just being my irritating self.

I think the Quintets are plenty(SPL) minus the mid bass and quality sacrifice. The Quintets need a sub(read must have one)since they have no bass to speak of.

If space is very limited the Quintets are ok,if you can fit the Synergy by all means get the Synergy.Just get some stands(not expensive at all).

TheEAR(s) Now theears

Thanks for the help guys. I think I might just build some decent bookshelves or just get a pair of stands. What about mounting the SS.5's??? In the demo room they were mounted on the ceiling, and they sounded really good, so I was wondering how many ways I can mount them, without detracting from their output.

------------------

JVC 36" tv

Technics DA-10 Reciever

Klipsch KSW-10 sub

Applebite, I have the System 6 and was also comparing to the Quintets before purchasing. The Quintets did quite well for HT, but there was a very noticeable difference in dialogue with the System 6 center speaker. The deciding factor for me, however, was the difference in playing music - no comparison. If you need to mount the SB-1's (mains for the system 6) to the walls or ceiling, look at omnimount.com for their various brackets. I think the ceiling mounts are better, as you can keep them away from the walls like Doug suggested for the port. You can also angle them down and in toward the sweet spot (a good idea for horns). This is how I have mine mounted, and it works pretty well. You can also adjust the center channel delay in your receiver so it appears to be at the same distance from your sweet spot as the SB-1's. As for mounting the SS.5's, the manual states "Due to their full 180 degree coverage pattern, the SS.5's offer a high degree of placement flexibility. The most common placement for HT rooms is on the side walls adjacent to or behind the listening area , or on the rear walls near the corners of the room. A height of 5 to 7 feet from the floor to the base is recommended". As Doug said, they have the keyhole brakets attached and are indented enough for the speaker wire, but I would definitely recommend putting them into studs instead of using the plastic anchors. Good Luck and enjoy.

This message has been edited by Hagood on 12-28-2001 at 02:04 PM

Thanks Hagood, that helps me out alot!!!! Once I hear from my dealer, I am gonna go down there and price the 6's out, I am pretty sure they will be around $850, so that's not too bad. But there will be an added cost of the bracket mounts.

------------------

JVC 36" tv

Technics DA-10 Reciever

Klipsch KSW-10 sub

I had the quintets and traded up to what is similar to the synergy. I've got the sb2s/ss1/scr2s. There really is no comparison. The quints are very powerful and good for HT but were just not that good for music - and I am no audiophile!

One thing to watch for - I have an issue with boomy bass caused by putting my sb2s in my bookcase type ent. center. In fact, I may well return them to get the SFs. I think you have to put the sbs on a stand. I just don't think they are going to work well in any kind of compartmentalized space in a bookshelf. Just a shelf is a different issue, though.

One more thing, applebite. Consider upgrading to the KSW-12 instead of the KSW-10 sub that comes with the System 6. Only $75.00 difference and much better. You might also try a little bargaining with your dealer. Check out Sounddistributors.com for their prices on the System 6, print it out and take it to the dealer. It worked for me - they matched the price.

I was thinking of upgrading to the KSW-12, but it was a 200 dollar difference, which seemed a little high. The owner of the Klipsch store here in Kelowna is a fmaily friend, so I'm getting cost +10%, which is really good. I have had the KSW-10 for about 2 weeks now, and I must say, it does put out respectable bass, much more than I was expecting from a 10" sub. The power of the KSW-12 is more of what I want, so I'll price it out again.

------------------

JVC 36" tv

Technics DA-10 Reciever

Klipsch KSW-10 sub

I had Quintets and found just like others have said. They are fine in a small room for HT but they just don't cut it for music. I upgraded to SF-2 fronts and SS-1 rears. I already had a SC-1 center and KSW-15 sub Smile.gif. I bought from online vendors and ended up with 1200.00 in the setup and I'm happy as hell in my 12' X 12' room. Smile.gif

This message has been edited by NOS440 on 12-31-2001 at 04:57 PM

LoL! BOSE compared to Klipsch.... BOSE compared to Technics! LoL! That would be more of a comparision Smile.gif

This is a great article on WHy BOSE Sucks Smile.gif

http://www.geocities.com/trustnoho/boseframes.html

------------------

-justin

I am an amateur, if it is professional;

ProMedia help you want email Amy or call her @ 1-888-554-5665

Klipsch Home Audio help you want, email support@klipsch.com or call @ 1-800-KLIPSCH

RA# Fax Number=317-860-9140 / Parts Department Fax Number=317-860-9150

Thanks for that URL justin!!! I knew Bose was **** all along, but that just reinforced my beliefs. That review told the exact situation that is going on at my local Brick dealer. The salesguy would only let me listen to this one shitty as song, and he wouldn't give me a reason why. When I tried playing with the controls to adjust bass, treble etc etc, he told me not to touch them. Correct me if I am wrong, but if you are looking to spend 1800+ canadian on a HT system, shouldn't you be able to mess with all the controls you want??

------------------

JVC 36" tv

Technics DA-10 Reciever

Klipsch KSW-10 sub

Hey guys, instead of a complete Quintet system or Synergy system, what center channel and surrounds would be the best match for a set of Nuance bookshelf speakers with an 8" mid and silk done tweeter?? I was thinking maybe the SC.5 or 1, and for the surrounds, the .5's or 1's. Which would be the best???

------------------

JVC 36" tv

Technics DA-10 Reciever

Klipsch KSW-10 sub

SB-1's have mounting facilities (albeit minimal) built in. There is a threaded insert which accepts 1/4 20 thread machine screw. You can purchase molly bolts at the hardware store which use this thread and will easily mount in dry wall. Cost about .30 each. May not be the most elegant and Omnimount or other brand of brackets are better, but if you want to mount the SB-1's for minimal bucks, then try this method.

Thanks BobG. I've looked around everywhere and have be unable to find the Omnimount units, or ones similar. Any places online to buy them??

------------------

JVC 36" tv

Technics DA-10 Reciever

Klipsch KSW-10 sub