I've started work - 1968 K'horns !

GWSmith

Hello everyone. I posted a note in the `announcement' area about my finally after a years time, carted my K'horns into the music room to start cleaning and working on the xover etc... Photos are being taken at all steps btw....

1) Tech at Klipsch said these were from sometime in 1968 by the serial# I gave him. After dismantling the side grills (for cleaning) and the horn section from the woofer cabinet as well as removing the xovers for cap change out (thank you Bob Crites!), I decided to check into the woofer access cover.

2) I was told that speakers of this age could have some cone deterioration, so I felt I needed to take a look at least. Well, after much gentle prying on the panel I was able to remove it and take a look inside..

3) I found that the woofer has a SQUARE ceramic magnet !!! It looks to me more like something from the 1970ies.. Meaning, were not Alnico magnets used in the 60ies? My 1976 Leslie speaker (bought it brand new) has a VERY similar 15" driver with this magnet on it ...

4) FINDINGS! First off, the woofer of the speaker I checked on so far looks brand new (well, it IS well protected in there :o) I was thinking it may have been replaced, but the hardware (screw heads) at the hookup terminals on the INSIDE of the panel are all powder white corrosion and the solder on the lugs of the speaker look like they have never been re-touched since new. This one is a K-33-M Perhaps someone would know more?? (I'm still learning about these things) Original or replaced? Hmmmmm.

5) Interesting also is, the wood cleats that hold the woofer baffle in place STILL HAVE SHOP DUST on them AND the original handprints of the installer! I took photos of this, as the dust on the cleat is on the VERTICAL SIDE with handprints, and that side of the woofer is spotless !

6) SIGNATURE found ! As a pipeorgan builder, we at our shop will write in pencil a brief history (if a restoration/rebuild job) on the interior of the organ components with company name, date and signatures of all who worked on the piece. I was pleased to find a hand signed (in pencil) `Terry Powel - Hope Arkansas' on the inside front horn baffle. Anyone seen this before in their K'horns ???

Ok, thats all the news - questions from here. I will post photos (direct me as to where the best area on the forum to display them should be?)

Regards, Gary

PS. I will remove the panel on the other cabinet and hope to find that they match.

Hi, Tigerman... We're looking forward to your photos! It's best to post them in the thread "as you go" with the project... that way we can admire your handiwork without having to skip back and forth between different forum pages.

Cheers,

Rob

Hello again Rob.

Can you direct me to the `As You Go' thread? Can't seem to find it, even with an advanced search..

Thanks, Gary

Oops... I failed to explain myself wery well. When I said "as you go" I meant to just include your photos right here in the thread where you are describing your project. Narrative and photos in same thread. Savvy?

Have a great week,

Rob

Hello everyone. Finally the photos are starting to be organized. These were taken over this past weekend at the beginning of the project. You will notice the side panel on the horn assembly. This was because the upper portion of the side could be seen in the room, as a low wall was made for the speakers on each side. A HUGE Salt Box livingroom with 15' ceilings is where these speakers originally were installed...

ALSO, you will notice the signature on the inside of the bass horn cabinet. Take a look and enjoy.

NEWS: Last night, I worked on the crossovers. Cleaned and rebuilt with the new caps from Bob Crites. They look great, can't wait to hear them.

..........Gary

post-23544-13819344155734_thumb.jpg

Tigerman,

Thanks for the running commentary and pics on your project.

On the pic showing the back of the top hat, is that some sort of cardboard panel sealed around the corner side of the top hat? Never have seen that, but it would keep the dust out. Interesting.