Banana Plug to Spade Connection

bauhaus1

Looking to use cables terminated in banana plugs to the back of my Belles. I know the spade size is small but don't know the actual size. Will this work:

df3c_1.JPG

Spade width: 7mm (for 7mm terminal)

from this page

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/4-Banana-to-Spade-Adaptor-Plug-Connector-Hi-Fi-MTP04_W0QQitemZ230166972808QQihZ013QQcategoryZ116854QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem#ebayphotohosting

Not having LaScallas, but if the connection is anything like the original on the Cornwalls, it should fit. It was only a screw. I replaced mine with banana plugs and two new holes in the back. I think they work better, but the connection is now at the bottom of the speaker as opposed to the top. Five way binding posts worked for me.

The barrier strip that the spade connectors attach to has narrow slots and most modern spade connectors are too wide. However, I was able to get some proper-sized ones at a car audio shop near my place. They're called mini-spades and they were even gold-plated! However, they were for 8 gauge wire, which might be too big for your application. Smaller wire size models may be available, or you could do some serious crimping and soldering. I use 8 gauge speaker cable, so I was very happy to find them.

To make up 12 gauge lead-in cables from the strips to the crossovers( on my '74 La Scalas, the crossovers are further inside the speaker with foot-long lead-in cables), I "customized" some regular sized spades by filing both sides and bending them inwards, then using a vice to re-flatten the flat parts after the filing and bending bent them. That works, too, but it's nicer to have the right-sized stuff.