A good DVD player?

Jim Cornell

Ill be looking in Feb or March for a DVD player, i need choices of what the good ones are, i was going harman, but dont like the 5 disc thing!

yamaha, denon, sony, i need opinions please!

Im getting heresys about the same time, i think, OR the SVS sub, ill have to decide, when the time comes!

What size SVS sub, with cornwalls guys?

Regards Jim

Check out the offerings from Panasonic. No one around here seems to say much about them, but I have the 31 model and it is extremely nice for the $160. They have even nicer equipment further up the line. Are you looking for progressive scan or DVD-A, SACD?

------------------

My System So Far:

Fronts: KLF 10 (Med. Oak)

Center: KLF C7 (Med. Oak)

Surrounds: Def. Tech BP6

Sub: SW-12II (Black Ash)

Receiver: H/K AVR 25II

DVD: Panasonic DVDR31S

CD: Yamaha CDC 655

I've currently have a toshiba sd3205(5 disc carosel, hcdc, ect). It's pretty good and i've seen it for $270 Canadian. I like most of the toshiba stuff except for the lower end. Just picked up the sd3750 for my bro for christmas($350 cnd), not sure how it's been reveiwed, but it'll play mp3's, cdr, cdrw. Check out audioreview.com for current reviews on any model you're looking at, don't take everything at face value though there are false reviews on alot of products. Wink.gif

Jim-

Well, I'll throw my $0.02 in for the Denon crowd. I have the DVD-2500 and love it. I got it for Xmas 2 years ago and have been pleased. It was a toss-up between that and the -3000, but I knew I was going to be upgrading my Pro Logic receiver to DD within the year, so I was not worried that the 2500 did not have on-board DD/DTS decoding. Both the 2500 and 3000 have had great reviews, but, of course, are no longer being manufactured. The replacements, DVD-1500 and (I think) -1000 didn't have much good written about them

That said, I would think the new line from Denon, DVD-2800 (single disc, progressive scan) and DVM-4800 (5-disc changer, progressive scan) would be quite enjoyable. I have heard the -2800 has the chroma bug, but maybe the newer units have been fixed. The latest issue of Sound&Vision reviewed the -4800 and gave it good marks, including great CD play.

I must admit, I am partial to Denon; my entire HT electronics are that brand, except for the Sony VHS deck. ListenUp in Denver helped me pick out that Pro Logic receiver and as of last year, they still carry most of the Denon line. Good luck.

Jim,

In a previous post, I already mentioned the Panasonic RP91. This player has received many good comments on some of the other Forums and for that reason, I went ahead and bought it... sight unseen. I think it's a great player for under $500 ($480 delivered at www.ecost.com ). It is a Progressive Scan player with a 3:2 pulldown and has the 5.1 outputs for DVD-Audio. I know the Outlaw has External Inputs so you could start listening to DVD-A if that's to your liking (I know I do). Check out some of the other forums for feedback on this player...

Mike

------------------

My Music Systems

This message has been edited by Mike Lindsey on 12-28-2001 at 01:38 PM

if you don't need DVD Audio, then go with the Panasonic RP-56. For ~$250 it can't be beat.

------------------

Denon AVR-2800

KG-4 mains (too bad the rest of my speakers aren't this good)

Polk C-175 center (it's ok)

Infinity RS-10 Surrounds (suck)

Audiosource SW-15 subwoofer (excellent sub for it's price)

Pioneer DV333 DVD

Sony 5 disc CD player

All in a 12x12 apartment bedroom.

"What?! I can't hear you!"