Dynaco MK IIIs

Erik Mandaville

Cornman:

All I can give you is my own opinion, but I haven't heard the MKIIIs, only the ST-70 -- one, a well-made (in terms of construction) home-made version of the amp with what were described as improved HF response and other upgrades. It was so bright and crisp on the top-end that I honestly couldn't listen to it for very long, at least with Klipschorns (or maybe we had La Scalas then...can't remember). The current stock circuit of the ST-70 we have is a completely different amplifier. Very nice.

The above doesn't answer your question, but I can say that I have heard some say they prefer the MKIIIs to the ST-70, and others who thought the ST-70 was much better of the two. Again, I can't speak to that, because I have no experience. Even if I did, it would just be my opinion. One would have to listen for oneself to really get a handle on what ultimately, like with anything audio, is the better of the two.

Erik

Off topic just a bit, but I have to share a picture: These are a pair of Autospec monoblock Baldwins (rare!!!) that I myself missed by one day. :( Very, very, very fine quality work from someone who is interested in helping people experience tubes, not make enormous profit. The paint work is all powder coat, and just have a look for fun and at the detail, kind of hardware used, etc. Push-pull parallel. What a balancing act of art and functional electronics, at least in my opinion. The cost included shipping, too.

I would have loved them! :)

Erik

http://cls.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cls.pl?ampstube&1195043899

Well HERE is an example and some specifics of what he does to an ST-70 so I imagine his MKIII rebuild is of a similar nature. I thought I had an email from him from a few years ago that every detail of the rebuild listed but I just can't seem to find it. I have had ZERO problems since I've had them and I've had them on 24/7 for 2 years now. Never a single pop, crackle, I mean nothing. I just bias every few months and even then they're only off .03-.05. By the way the vid doesn't show my PrimaLuna preamp but

one does :-)

Those revamped Baldwins would be cool to own...like when my dad restores yet another antique tube radio for a customer, bringing it back to life once again...it's nice to see these classics come back to daily use once more. Sure beats the landfill!

Okay, it seems essentially stock, save for the increase in that coupling cap value. I think his MKIIIs, from what I remember from those I've seen listed, are the same, just the chassis redone and new boards and parts like his ST-70s.

Do you like your Prima Luna? I don't think I've read a single poor review about them, and the wiring is always so nicely done.

Jim: No doubt your dad is right up there with the best. The Baldwins are nice; I agree with you there.

Erik