Mac 275 question

Tom_E

If you're talking about one of the originals from the 1960s, by all means, you can. There are three sets of inputs. First off is twin amp - these have individual level controls for each channel, and are the ones you'll want to use; stereo - this has a balance control instead of level controls and won't do what you need it to do unless your cd player has a variable output, and finally mono, which won't be of much help unless you have another 275, or you only listen to pre 1955 recordings.

Plug the outputs of your cd player into the twin amp inputs, and throw the flipper switch to twin amp. Turn the knobs fully counterclockwise, turn everything on and wait about a minute for the 275 to warm up and stabilize. Start a cd in the player, make sure you've got a signal there, and then gently turn up the levels until you've got the volume you want.

Be careful doing this, as the 275 has lots of power, and can damage your speakers if carelessly handled.

The newer incarnations of the 275, I think, have just the individual controls for each channel, so those should work as well.

I'm not familiar with the receiver.

After i read your post a cupple of times, i think i understood what to do.

But anyone think there is a chance that i could use my amp as a preamp, so i can adjust the volume with my remote for instance?

Not unless your MC275 comes with a remote.

Does the MC275 have IR?[:|]

But anyone think there is a chance that i could use my amp as a preamp, so i can adjust the volume with my remote for instance?

Something's going terribly wrong here. [:D]

The MC275 is a stereo poweramp producing 2x75 watts, hence the name. Normally this poweramp should be controlled by a preamp. It is however possible to connect cd directly into the amps input and regulate volume with the output switches, one per channel. In the long run not recommended.

Now, what 'my remote' are you talking about? MC275 has no ir, because it was built to be a poweramp not a preamp.

Is the fog clearing up? Tim

Something's going terribly wrong here. [:D]

The MC275 is a stereo poweramp producing 2x75 watts, hence the name. Normally this poweramp should be controlled by a preamp. It is however possible to connect cd directly into the amps input and regulate volume with the output switches, one per channel. In the long run not recommended.

Now, what 'my remote' are you talking about? MC275 has no ir, because it was built to be a poweramp not a preamp.

Is the fog clearing up? Tim

Thanks for you interest in this case Tim!

I'm new to this pre-amp and power-amp thing you see.

What i really meant when i wrote "my remote", was the remote of my Roksan integrated amp. I'm wondering if i could use the pre-amp stage of my integrated Roksan amp  controll the MC 275.

If not, does anyone have a nice pre-amp to recomend? Not a Mac, but something else that does the job and don't cost a Porche...

I went to the Roksan website. Pretty nice looking hardware. If your amp is set up like the "Candy" you can do exactly what you are asking about. There look to be two sets of "preamplifier" outputs on the back of the amp. Use one of those to go into the RCA jacks on the 275. Turn the levels fully counter-clockwise on the 275, and turn everything on. Set the level on the Roksan at about noon. Wait a minute or so for everything to warm up. Start some music and bring the levels on the 275 up to a nice level. There you are. As you get used to the set-up, you'll want to adjust the levels on both units to suit your tastes.

There is one issue we do need to address. Before the first time you turn everything off, bring the levels down on the 275 to about 9 o'clock - that way if the Roksan has any turn-off "thumps" you won't accidentally melt your speakers into slag. Generally, it's a good idea to turn the power amp on last and off first, but not everyone has the patience to do that.

Thanks for looking in the the case, Bob! Really apriciate it.

I have looked at Rotel and Vincent pre-amps, but now, maby i'll just use my Roksan instead.

I may get a hold of a Cambrige-Audio preamp, but we'll see. I'll let you all know how it turns out.

Thanks again Captain Bob!