EICO Products Return From Craig's Lab...

SilverSport

I sent my beloved EICO HF-81 Integrated Amplifier and my Father's EICO HFT-92 AM/FM Monaural Tuner to Craig at NOSValves a while ago for freshening...My Father had the Tuner since about 1956 and the amp I picked up from Daddy Dee who picked it up from Dr. Bill...I had REALLY enjoyed this beautiful sounding and classic amp until 47 years of service took its toll on it...I was getting sizzle on start up and one channel was weak...I wanted the best but wanted to be careful not to change the flavor of the EICO as this was the reason for my re-introduction to Tubes and I want to preserve the care and love received from the builder, Dr. Bill and Daddy Dee...same said for Dad's old EICO Tuner...

I just received the amp and Tuner back from Craig. I have only hooked up the Amp to a Cambridge Audio Azur 640Cv1 and my minty Walnut Oiled Quartets...during the wait, I had been listening to a freshened McIntosh MA6200...another integrated amplifier that is highly regarded albeit a SS amp...when I bought the McIntosh, it was intended to be my showpiece amp after being freshened to like new by Audio Classics in New York...This amp was made by a company I had, prior to purchasing thoght was the ultimate in sound and quality...

...then Daddy Dee put up this EICO for sale at an affordable "Klipsch Forum Rate" (Thanks again Dee!) and so I thought I would scratch that Tube itch!...once I heard it, I was smitten...it easily replaced the McIntosh (which cost me three times as much) and it really hurt me to admit this but the EICO sounded THAT MUCH better to my ears...

...Well, my EICO HF-81 has returned...no sizzle, no surprizes...sounds even MORE powerful than the deceptively powerful 14 "Whopping" wpc produce...I am listening to this combo right now and I am hearing it again for the first time...detailed mids and highs with PLENTY of bass response...

...it was this combo that caused me to bite on another sweet deal from this Forum on a set of nice Cherry NOSValves VRDs and a JMA BlueBerry MkI also in Cherry and Maple cabinetry...my transferrence to the Tube world was complete as far as two channel is concerned...it is that nice...

I want to thank everyone here who has taken time to help me as I stumble through this audio bliss...special thanks to Dr. Bill, Daddy Dee, Mark at JuicyMusicAudio and of course Craig at NOSValves who ALWAYS takes my questions and answers them in a flash...

THANKS!

Bill

Thanks guys...really...Dee...thanks again SO MUCH for turing my audio world on its ear (for real) and re-introducing me to the world of Tubes...I am sure it really will do another 47 years easily!...OB...everything old IS new again!...Pete...you know you got me into Klipsch with a vengence with that pair of Heresys!

Bill

Thanks guys...really...Dee...thanks again SO MUCH for turing my audio world on its ear (for real) and re-introducing me to the world of Tubes...I am sure it really will do another 47 years easily!...OB...everything old IS new again!...Pete...you know you got me into Klipsch with a vengence with that pair of Heresys!

Bill

You sayin' there's still hope for me????...........Keep on tube glowin'........

OB...there is still hope for all of us then...thanks buddy...you too!

Bill

We are Vintage Bud ................ New is Old, Old is new ........ Simple old equipment, No Bells, No Whistles, Power On, Power Off, Volume up, Volume Down, ah, so much easier than this new-fangled equipment ..................... How about those Cubs ????

Silver what a lucky man you are to have such fine gear. I have a few questions that I hope will help me in my selection of my next Amp. Have you used any other Mc. amps, especially one's with autoformers or tubes such as the 2505 or 250, or 275? Secondly can you describe the differences you hear between the Eico & the VRD's? All thought or suggestions appreciated.

Play on....

Cornman

Cornman,

I think both the VRDs and the EICO sound very neutral (please understand that any accidental audiophile explanation I use is just that...accidental) and doesn't seem to add much to the music that is not there...at least that is my take...not bright, not muddy...very nice with plenty of bass (but not like how the kids today think of bass)...very detailed as well...I used to get a slight tension headache when listening to a lot of SS gear and it seemed to be an "ahhh, relaxing" feel when listening to Tubes...I know that this is not supposed to happen but it is the best way I can describe what I feel when listening...as for the other McIntosh, sorry...only older (but freshened) MAC1900 receiver and MA6200...

Good luck!

Bill

OB...as a Cub Fan all my life (but no longer a rabid fan after the last baseball strike) I look forward to seeing them do well in the post season playoffs...they have started off poorly (actually ended the season poorly) which in reverse logic (it's what works for Cub fans [:D]) might mean it is their year to go all the way!

Bill