Heresy II Crossover Schematic - Cleaned Up

ken6432

For those that are interested, I took a few minutes and cleaned up the Heresy II crossover schematic that is being passed around. It is not redrawn, just cleaned up to remove the drawing mistake near the capacitor coming off of the autotransformer. I also added the terminal numbers for the autotransformers thanks to information from BEC, put in typed text for the speaker name, got rid of all of the black around it, and put a new border around it. I hope I have not violated some copywrite, I just thought a cleaner copy would be helpful.

Thanks,

Ken

post-18108-1381934876751_thumb.jpg

Seeing the schematic spec a 10dB drop for the squaker, I had assumed the Heresy II used the T7A transformer (that's used in the Forte II and KLF20) -- but tap numbers you put on this schematic imply otherwise. Can anyone here confirm or deny that the Heresy II using a T7A transformer?

Not totally because other crossover schematics (like the Forte II -- see the other current thread) show a T7A with completely different taps being used (but still yielding a 10dB drop). The schmatic I've seen for a KLF20 also agrees with the Forte II one.

While we're at it, does anyone have any info on the 3507 transformer (used in the "newer" Cornwall II)? I've been told it's a T8A and a T4A but two different (reliable) sources.

Thanks for the data sheets of those other autoformers! Did you miss my comments above about this Heresy II schematic's autoformer connections not agreeing with the other schematics that show the T7A? Just thought I'd mentioned it again in case is got lost in my request...

Thanks for the data sheets of those other autoformers!  Did you miss my comments above about this Heresy II schematic's autoformer connections not agreeing with the other schematics that show the T7A?  Just thought I'd mentioned it again in case is got lost in my request...

I did not miss it, just don't have a good answer.  If you would like a "suspect" answer, continue reading.

OK Here is the old familiar T2A data sheet.  For 9 db attenuation, you would use taps 0,2, and 5.

Bob

T2A.pdf

Now along comes the Forte 1 and only needs one tap.  That would be the 9 db tap.  Let me suggest that an autotransformer manufacturer who made the T2A might give a nice break for an autotransformer they didn't have to put so many taps into.  See the Forte 1 schematic and look at the numbers on the T10A.

Bob

Forte1.pdf

Now (pure speculation here) the Forte 2 comes along and probably at first planned to use the same autotransformer as the Forte 1 used.  But, someone thought the squawker needed one more db of attenuation.  So, a modified autotransformer got built to give 10 db of attenuation, but somehow the theory of how to number the taps (back to the T2A) got preserved even though it is not correct any more and 10 db was not available on the T2A.

How's that for a theory?

Bob

• 6 months later...