Where to place twin subs?

darrylp

Is it necessary for two subs (Velodyne HGS 15) to placed equidistantly from the centre speaker?

Im hoping that I can get away with one being 3 feet closer than the second.

I'd appreciate any comments or experiences from more experienced HT experts.

Thanks very much.

Regards

Darryl

Hi Darryl,

i'm no audio expert but I have had many sub's and speakers to move around so I can tell you that the best placement you will find for your sub's are behind the mains peferably in the corner's of the room. You will not find a better effect than placing a sub in a corner.

With my system I have my sub right behind my entertainment system behind my KG 5.2's. It actually makes it sound like the KG's are putting out the base. the corner will direct the bass nicely. Try it I think you will like it.

Regard's monty

Thanks Monty

I've got my existing sub in the corner and it works great but I can only place my second one 3ft in from the other corner and thus not equidistant from my RC-7.

Im hoping that the difference is not going to be noticeable but unless someones tried a similar configuration I just dont know.

Regards

Darryl

darryl, or u could stack 'em (just be sure to put something between to protect that great piano gloss finish). or side by side. either way i'd put 'em together to reinforce each other.

w/ just one sub i know it takes some experimenting. best method seems to be put both in your listening position then move around listening for where the best low bass. then put 'em both there if you're looking for more output.

------------------

My Home Systems Page

Putting the second one 3' out of the corner will not hurt. Having the subs in different placed tends to cancel room nodes and WILL prevent both of them from reinforcing the nodes your room already has. With 2 subs in different places you will have fewer peaks and troughs in the bass response. I have mine behind the mains and in the corners. However one corner is 90 deg. and the other one is 100 deg.

John

john brings up a good point in the ole low bass quantity vs quality. the best advice of course is to do some experimenting w/ placements & settings according to your tastes, room & other equipment.

i was taking into account darryl would be using klipsch ref towers & velo hgs-15s (not real high output realtive to that of klipsch rf-7s). though still pretty high down low, hgs are not as high output down low as say the svs ultra. hgs subs actually limit output for the sake of better quality, low thd.

but tv at svs still recommends putting dual ultra in the same general area (corner). i think he's a lil more on the bass quantity side though cwm4.gif

actually there's kinda a lil debate on that over under Powered Subs "Just in-Review" on the later pages. Looks like there's no conclusive answer to everybody for sub placement after all. cwm32.gif

------------------

My Home Systems Page

Thanks very much for the suggestions boa12 and John.

My Velodyne dealer suggests one at the front of the room and one at the back.

What Im going to do is get the second sub (hopefully next week) and experiment by moving it around and trying the various locations and suggestions.

Ill use ordinary two strand electrical cable for the experiments and then when I've ascertained the correct location well install it with proper cables to match the rest of my system.

Thanks again.

Regards

Darryl

Darryl,

Since its about subs TheEAR will show up. Smile.gif

I experimented many placement options and settings with crossovers with many speakers.

So far the best results are subs along the front or side wall.I dont put subs in corners,I put them close

to walls 2-3 feet out of corners.The result is clean sub bass and almost no boomy artifacts caused by the room(sub placement interacting with the room itself).

May not always work(nothing works all the time anyway).

From the inexpensive KSW12 and 15 I have to the larger Velodyne HGS18 and to the top of sub woofer land Aerial SW12.All these work best along the wall out of corners.No boomy effect just BIG punch and clean bass(sub bass).

I cut the KSW subs at 80Hz,my Sunfires and Carver at 50Hz and the larger Velo,Aerial and Revel at 40Hz.

(note the KSW are with my PC system,Sunfire and Carver in my Klipsch/Sunfire HT system and the larger brutes in my main HT system(also used to listen to music)

With two HGS15's you should get great output and definition.This beast works best when cut low(below 60Hz if possible).If you must its still great cut around 80Hz,always clean undistorted sub bass.

I never tried stacking subs,if I start stacking them I will need a mile high room. Wink.gif

TheEAR(s) Now theears

Interesting view thanks Ear.

There's however an article I read recently which talked about un-ported (sealed) subs like the Velodyne HGS series not being sensitive or effected by corner placement because theyre un-ported and thus no sound emanates from the back or sides.

Have you investigated this aspect?

Regards

Darryl