Problem with Dx-38?

Coytee

I once made reference to some noise I had in my system... as time moves forward I'm wondering if I've narrowed it down just a bit.

Initially, I had some low LOW volume, background noise (line noise?) Turn the volume up at all and it's masked by the music so I never paid much attention to it... later on, I feared it was just amp noise.

Today, something has changed (and it might be good to know that I ALSO have my satellite dish plumbed into my Peach... I've not ruled the dish out yet and I AM having an issue with it)

Ok, so today's "noise"...what does it sound like?

Well... I'd say it sounds like some clicks. If you set a metronome to 2 clicks per second and let it go... that is what is going on.

With ONLY the amps and DX turned on, I get this sound. Literally everything else is turned off (except for the satellite receiver however I DID remove its audio out cords so I THINK I removed it from the system)

Now, with ONLY the amps and DX turned on (no pre, no cd, no dvd...) I get this moderately fast pop/clicking noise. Furthermore, if I turn the DX off, the noise stops. Also, if I (Dx turned on) only kill one channel at a time using its 4 kill buttons, that channel will go dead quiet, telling me the amps are fine.

Hard for me to belive that I got the one dud Dx38 out there, but I'm sure they go bad.

Also... I've been having an issue with my satellite dish, I seem to have a dead line in the LNB (4 outputs)

Since one of these outputs is plumbed into the stereo system, I can't yet be 100% positive that it's not coming from there. Reason I bring this up is I have a searching for dish" error on the screen and the prior noise (before this 2 click per second) started, the noise SEEMED to move in concert with the messge on the screen.

I've not unwired anything yet, other than yanking the 'audio out' lines from my sat. receiver, just wanted to get/hear any other thoughts.

Hey Richard

Sounds like you might have a case of the sat. receiver eminating an interference signal that the EV DX38 is picking up and if that is the case just unhooking the cables might not help.

How close is the sat. receiver located to the EV DX38?

Try turning the power off on the sat. receiver.

I would actually unplug the sat. receiver since part of the pwr supply is still active even though the power off has been activated on the unit. It would be a good idea to totally unhook any connections from the sat. receiver to the audio/video setup if you continue to have problems.

With so many digital devices and other devices that have circuitry that operates at very high frequencies like telephones and light dimmers and even the remote control circuits(With my system if I have no music playing at the time I operate the Remote for Volume Control of my Musical Fidelity CD Pre24 I can very faintly here noise similar to what you have described) in some devices there is a posibility they could emit noise into other devices close buy.

mike tn[:)]

Good... I was hoping you'd notice this (because one thought I had was to simply hand my DX over to you and see if it does the same thing at your place)

Sounds like you might have a case of the sat. receiver eminating an interference signal that the EV DX38 is picking up and if that is the case just unhooking the cables might not help.

How close is the sat. receiver located to the EV DX38?

Sat. receiver is uh.... immediately on top of my Peach, which is on top of my DX so the Sat receiever is 6-8 inches away.

Try turning the power off on the sat. receiver.

I would actually unplug the sat. receiver since part of the pwr supply is still active even though the power off has been activated on the unit. It would be a good idea to totally unhook any connections from the sat. receiver to the audio/video setup if you continue to have problems.

Interestingly, I DID do that and when I did, I had what I believe to be a ground loop hum (or SOME kind of noise) that was immediately WORSE. Once I plugged the power cord back in, the noise went back to my intermittent clicks/pops.

Today I'm going to try to disconnect a couple more things and see if I can ascertain some cause/effects on the noise issues.

I guess that's ONE good thing about passives huh? Chalk up one for Al K.!! [*-)]

With so many digital devices and other devices that have circuitry that operates at very high frequencies like telephones and light dimmers and even the remote control circuits(With my system if I have no music playing at the time I operate the Remote for Volume Control of my Musical Fidelity CD Pre24 I can very faintly here noise similar to what you have described) in some devices there is a posibility they could emit noise into other devices close buy.

mike tnSmile

Since you have the very apparent ground loop hum when the satellite is powered down, I would start looking into ground loops first to see if that doesn't fix the problem.

Do you still have the clicks if you turn the satellite off AND remove all of the signal cables from it too?

We had this problem in the studio around 7 years ago and it was fixed when we installed a power conditioner. It was a nonconclusive fix though because we were trying a million things - it could have been something else.